Newly-Appointed US Ambassador Supports Civilian-led Democratic Transition in Sudan

The US newly-appointed Ambassador in Sudan, John Godfrey, at the presidential palace in Khartoum (AFP)
The US newly-appointed Ambassador in Sudan, John Godfrey, at the presidential palace in Khartoum (AFP)
TT

Newly-Appointed US Ambassador Supports Civilian-led Democratic Transition in Sudan

The US newly-appointed Ambassador in Sudan, John Godfrey, at the presidential palace in Khartoum (AFP)
The US newly-appointed Ambassador in Sudan, John Godfrey, at the presidential palace in Khartoum (AFP)

The US newly-appointed Ambassador in Sudan, John Godfrey, began his work with meetings that sparked controversy between Sudanese parties.

The opposition saw a sign of support in Godfrey's meetings with the families of the victims, the resistance committee, and the main opposition alliance Freedom and Change.

Meanwhile, military supporters considered that the mere presentation of the ambassador's credentials to General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan constitutes recognition of the de facto government.

The spokesman for the "Freedom and Change-Central Council", Wajdi Saleh, told Asharq Al-Awsat that the political committee of the coalition met with the Ambassador at his invitation after presenting his credentials.

Godfrey informed the coalition that the US is "steadfast" in its support for democratic transformation, with a civilian-led leadership.

Saleh explained that the delegation considered the invitation an important step to develop relations between the two countries.

The delegation reiterated the vision of the Coalition, asserting that the current crisis was created by the coup, asserting that the only solution is establishing a full civilian-led authority that leads the democratic transition, in a way that guarantees the stability and peace of Sudan.

The US embassy did not mention Godfrey’s meeting with the Forces of Freedom and Change. However, the coalition published a press statement about it. The spokesman also confirmed the meeting to Asharq Al-Awsat.

Ambassador Godfrey presented his credentials last Thursday to the chairman of the Transitional Sovereignty Council; a move seen by the supporters of Burhan as a US of the de facto government.

They argued that former western and US diplomats avoided presenting their credentials to former President Omar al-Bashir.

Before his arrival in Khartoum, Godfrey outlined his policies towards Khartoum in a Facebook post.

He met with prominent members of the Sudanese diaspora and US-based activists to discuss the current situation in Sudan.

“There was agreement on the need to continue advocating for a new government under civilian leadership and to support the Sudanese people in their efforts to carry forward their democratic transition.”

Godfrey reiterated his country's position when he met Foreign Minister-designate Ali al-Sadiq, last week, and stressed that it aims to deepen relations between the United States and the Sudanese people, form a civilian-led government, and move forward with Sudan's transition to democracy.

The Ambassador did not mention the head of the Sovereignty Council by name in several Embassy announcement.

He said in a post at the Embassy’s Facebook page: “I presented my diplomatic credentials. I look forward to strengthening the U.S. relationship with the Sudanese people, supporting their desire to advance their country’s democratic transition under civilian leadership.”

The US ambassador began his official activities in Sudan with a meeting with the families of the martyrs.

“I was honored to meet with the mothers of four martyrs who tragically lost their lives while demonstrating in support of freedom and democracy in Sudan,” he said after the meeting.

“Their message – that the lives of their children cannot have been lost in vain and that Sudan must resume a democratic transition under civilian leadership – was deeply moving.”

Godfrey then met with the Resistance Committee members from around Sudan.

He described them as the “courageous organizers of this grassroots, youth-led movement,” noting that they discussed the challenges they face and their commitment to restoring a path to democracy.

“The United States continues to support their insistence on a new civilian-led government and their pursuit of freedom, peace, and justice,” asserted the Ambassador.

Godfrey's arrival in the country triggered the stagnation that accompanied the US-Saudi initiative for military-civilian dialogue. He met the Saudi ambassador, Ali bin Hassan Jaafar, with the participation of the British ambassador.



UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.


Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)

Israel has raised the alert level of its military along the border with Lebanon, raising questions that Lebanon’s south may again be involved in a regional confrontation should the US attack Iran.

Given the heightened tensions between the US and Iran, questions have been asked over whether Hezbollah will become involved in a new war. Its Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem had recently announced that the party will not remain on the side if Iran is attacked.

On the ground, Israel blew up houses in southern Lebanon border towns and carried out air strikes in the south. Israeli military spokesman Avichay Adraee said the raids targeted “Hezbollah infrastructure,” including arms caches and rocket launchers.

Their presence in the south is a violation of current agreements, he added.

Amid the high regional tensions, Israel’s Maariv quoted a military source as saying that the army has come up with plans, including a preemptive strike against Hezbollah, which would drag the south and the whole of Lebanon into a new war.

Ministerial sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the presidency has been carrying out internal and foreign contacts since Thursday morning to keep Lebanon out of any escalation.

Hezbollah had launched a “support front” war against Israel a day after Hamas’ October 7, 2023 attack. In 2024, the war spiraled into an all-out conflict, with Israel decimating the Hezbollah leadership and severely weakening the party.

Israel believes that Hezbollah has been rebuilding its capabilities since the ceasefire that was struck in November 2024.

Kassim Kassir, a political analyst who is close to Hezbollah, told Asharq Al-Awsat: “No one knows what Hezbollah will do because the situation is tied the extent of the attack, should it happen.”

He noted that Qassem was ambiguous when he said the party will decide what to do when the time is right, but at any rate, he stressed that the party will not remain on the sidelines or abandon Iran.

“No one knows what Hezbollah’s abilities are, so everything is possible,” Kassir said.

Riad Kahwaji, a security and defense affairs expert, said he does not rule out the possibility that Hezbollah would join the war should the US attack Iran.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, he stressed that Iran is now the United States’ main target, when previously it used to confront its proxies.

It has now taken the fight directly to the heart of the problem, which is the Iranian regime, he remarked.

The extent of the military mobilization in the region and the frequent American statements about regime change all indicate that a major military operation may be imminent, he added.

Israel’s military also favors preemptive operations, so it is watching Hezbollah, which remains Iran’s most powerful regional proxy despite the blows it received in 2024 war, Kahwaji said.

Hezbollah still possesses a rocket arsenal that can threaten Israel, he remarked.

Israel’s high level of alert on the border with Lebanon could be in readiness for any development. Should Tel Aviv receive word from Washington that it intends to attack Iran, then it could launch operations against Hezbollah as part of preemptive strikes aimed at preventing the party from launching attacks against it, Kahwaji said.

“As long as Hezbollah possesses heavy weapons, such as rockets, and drones, that it has not handed over to the army, then Lebanon will continue to be vulnerable to attacks in the next confrontation. It will be exposed to Israeli strikes as long as this issue remains unresolved,” he added.