Lebanon Seeks to Contain Fallout from Amendment to UN Peacekeepers’ Mission

A general view shows a UN watchtower near a border fence that surrounds the divided village of Ghajar, with its northern part falling inside Lebanon and the south becoming part of the Israeli-annexed Golan Heights on September 7, 2022, as Israel lifts entry restrictions to the disputed village on the Lebanese border. (AFP)
A general view shows a UN watchtower near a border fence that surrounds the divided village of Ghajar, with its northern part falling inside Lebanon and the south becoming part of the Israeli-annexed Golan Heights on September 7, 2022, as Israel lifts entry restrictions to the disputed village on the Lebanese border. (AFP)
TT

Lebanon Seeks to Contain Fallout from Amendment to UN Peacekeepers’ Mission

A general view shows a UN watchtower near a border fence that surrounds the divided village of Ghajar, with its northern part falling inside Lebanon and the south becoming part of the Israeli-annexed Golan Heights on September 7, 2022, as Israel lifts entry restrictions to the disputed village on the Lebanese border. (AFP)
A general view shows a UN watchtower near a border fence that surrounds the divided village of Ghajar, with its northern part falling inside Lebanon and the south becoming part of the Israeli-annexed Golan Heights on September 7, 2022, as Israel lifts entry restrictions to the disputed village on the Lebanese border. (AFP)

Lebanese authorities sought to contain the fallout of the amendments introduced to the mission of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) that is deployed in the country’s South, a Hezbollah stronghold.

At the request of the Lebanese government, the UN Security Council extended UNIFIL’s mandate for another year on August 31, with the adoption of Resolution 2650, but for the first time since 2006, it amended the mission of the peacekeeping force.

“The Council reiterates that UNIFIL does not require prior authorization or permission from anyone to undertake its mandated tasks, and that it is allowed to conduct its operations independently,” said UNIFIL.

“It calls on the parties to guarantee UNIFIL’s freedom of movement, including by allowing announced and unannounced patrols. The Council condemns the harassment and intimidation of UNIFIL personnel, as well as the use of disinformation campaigns against peacekeepers,” it added.

The rules of engagement in place since 2006 have stipulated that the Lebanese army accompany UNIFIL patrols in its areas of operation. The peacekeepers had been harassed and attacked by citizens in the past for allegedly taking photos of some locations and because their patrols had veered off their usual path.

Lebanese authorities have always sought to extend the UNIFIL mission without amendments. The position was reiterated by President Michel Aoun in June when he called on the Security Council to extend the peacekeepers’ term for another year.

He hailed at the time UNIFIL’s “vital” and “positive” role in maintaining regional and even international security.

The amendments therefore, came as a surprise to Lebanese authorities.

Ministerial sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that Lebanon had “turned the Security Council’s attention to” the negative impact of the move, “which may lead to clashes between the residents of the South and the peacekeepers.”

Lebanon has long sought to avoid such clashes by making sure that the army accompanies UNIFIL patrols, they added, remarking however that it has not approached the Council and UNIFIL command over the amendments.

Nothing is being prepared to that end either, they said, stressing the need for coordination and cooperation with the army.

UNIFIL carries out around 430 patrols a day. Soldiers are not always at hand to accompany the patrols. The incidents that have broken out between locals and the peacekeepers have almost always taken place whenever the army has been absent.

Locally, officials are trying to contain the fallout from the amendments.

The caretaker government has spoken to the UNIFIL command about the issue. Foreign Minister Abdallah Bou Habib said on Friday: “We agreed with the command that the amendments will not lead to changes in the rules of engagement.”

Defense Minister Maurice Slim met with UNIFIL commander Aroldo Lázaro on Thursday. Slim underscored the coordination between UNIFIL and the army in line with resolutions 425, 426 and 1701.

He stressed the need to maintain the coordination and cooperation between the two sides to “preserve calm and stability in the South.”

Meanwhile, Hezbollah slammed the changes.

Hezbollah official and Iranian supreme leader Ali Khamenei’s representative in Lebanon, Mohammed Yazbek condemned the amendments.

“This is a dangerous development that turns the peacekeeping force into an occupying one,” he warned.

He also claimed that the amendments allow the peacekeepers to protect Israel and “spy on the people and resistance [Hezbollah].”



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.