Information Gap on Iran's Nuclear Activities is Getting Bigger, IAEA Warns

Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Rafael Grossi, at a press conference (IAEA)
Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Rafael Grossi, at a press conference (IAEA)
TT

Information Gap on Iran's Nuclear Activities is Getting Bigger, IAEA Warns

Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Rafael Grossi, at a press conference (IAEA)
Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Rafael Grossi, at a press conference (IAEA)

The information gap in monitoring Iranian nuclear activities is getting bigger, warned Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Rafael Grossi.

Speaking at a press conference on the sidelines of the quarterly meeting of the Agency's Board of Governors, Grossi said the Agency's verification and monitoring of Iran's nuclear-related commitments under the JCPOA had been seriously affected by Iran's decision to stop the implementation of those commitments, including its obligations under the Additional Protocol.

He called upon Iran to be more transparent after stopping the surveillance cameras.

Last June, Tehran shut down 27 IAEA cameras in its nuclear facilities, in addition to the cameras that have not handed over their recordings to the Agency since February last year.

"The Agency would need to apply additional safeguards measures, and Iran would need to provide comprehensive and accurate records to the Agency. We would also need to determine the comprehensiveness and accuracy of data recorded by our surveillance equipment between 21 February 2021 and 8 June 2022," he said.

Grossi admitted that considerable challenges would remain to confirm the consistency with the situation before Feb 21, 2021, of Iran's declared inventory of centrifuges and heavy water.

In his report to the IAEA Board of Governors, Grossi called on Iran to provide technically credible explanations for uranium particles of anthropogenic origin at three undeclared locations in Iran and informed the Agency of the current locations of the nuclear material and the contaminated equipment.

In the press conference, Grossi expressed his hope for Iran to cooperate promptly, adding: "the Agency remains ready to re-engage with Iran without delay to resolve these matters."

Grossi warned that the Agency would not be able to confirm the correctness and completeness of Iran's declarations under its Comprehensive Safeguards Agreement.

"Because it has not yet done so, the Agency is not in a position to provide assurance that Iran's nuclear program is exclusively peaceful."

Earlier, Iran announced it is ready to cooperate with the IAEA to eliminate any "misconceptions" about its activities after the Agency warned that it could no longer "guarantee" the peacefulness of Tehran's nuclear program.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani criticized the joint statement of Britain, France, and Germany, expressing "serious doubts" about Iran's seriousness in the nuclear deal negotiations.

Kanaani called the statement "unconstructive" and "in breach of goodwill," noting that both the US and Europe must prove they do not prioritize the interests of the Zionist regime when making political decisions.

"Iran announces its constructive cooperation with the Agency as its obligations," adding that "while Iran has obligations, it also has rights," AFP quoted Kanaani as saying.

The spokesman referred to the IAEA's meeting, saying no draft resolution against Iran was presented, warning that any non-constructive step, such as the one taken in June, will have repercussions.

"Naturally, Iran expects constructive actions from IAEA and the members of its governing board."

After 16 months of indirect talks between Tehran and Washington, European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said on Aug 8 that the bloc had laid down a final offer to overcome an impasse for the revival of the agreement.

Earlier this month, Iran sent its latest response to the EU's proposed text.

On Friday, US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said Iran's latest response to the nuclear deal proposal is a step "backward."

Blinken told reporters that what "we've seen over the last week or so in Iran's response to the proposal put forward by the European Union is a step backward and makes prospects for an agreement in the near-term, I would say, unlikely,"

Kanaani said that his country is "waiting for an official response from the US" and denied making any new demands in the last response to the European draft.

Kanani threw the ball into the US court, saying Washington must prove that it is a trusted member, adding that it must play a constructive role to reach an agreement and demonstrate its commitment to international norms.



Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.