Tensions in France Squad Ahead of Nations League Matches

France's forward Kylian  Mbappé (C) speaks with France's head coach Didier Deschamps during a training session in Clairefontaine-en-Yvelines on September 20, 2022 as part of the team's preparation for the upcoming UEFA Nations League. (AFP)
France's forward Kylian Mbappé (C) speaks with France's head coach Didier Deschamps during a training session in Clairefontaine-en-Yvelines on September 20, 2022 as part of the team's preparation for the upcoming UEFA Nations League. (AFP)
TT

Tensions in France Squad Ahead of Nations League Matches

France's forward Kylian  Mbappé (C) speaks with France's head coach Didier Deschamps during a training session in Clairefontaine-en-Yvelines on September 20, 2022 as part of the team's preparation for the upcoming UEFA Nations League. (AFP)
France's forward Kylian Mbappé (C) speaks with France's head coach Didier Deschamps during a training session in Clairefontaine-en-Yvelines on September 20, 2022 as part of the team's preparation for the upcoming UEFA Nations League. (AFP)

France's last competitive football games before the World Cup should be a chance for coach Didier Deschamps to test his best team.

But as France prepares to play Austria in the Nations League on Thursday, tension hangs over the defending champion because of ongoing issues off the field. They concern the French Football Federation president, an injured key player embroiled in an extortion scandal, and striker Kylian Mbappé's row over image rights.

Oh, and there's the threat of relegation to the second tier of the Nations League if titleholder France fails against Austria and Group 1 leader Denmark three days later.

Furthermore, Deschamps is without nine injured regulars including longstanding goalkeeper Hugo Lloris, midfielder Paul Pogba — who's mired in an extortion scandal involving his own brother — and star striker Karim Benzema.

It sounded like understatement when Deschamps said “it's not the calmest atmosphere” when naming his squad last week.

Deschamps took charge in 2012, two years after France’s fiasco at the World Cup in South Africa, where players went on strike at training and embarrassed a watching nation back home.

The current situation is not as bad as that, nor as tense as when Benzema was discarded from the 2016 European Championship squad because of an alleged blackmail role in a scandal involving then-teammate Mathieu Valbuena.

But Deschamps nonetheless had to deal with media fuss and distractions this week, after Mbappé said he'd boycott a photo session with his teammates in a dispute over image rights. Mbappé's threat came after the federation had not amended the collective agreement governing rights for the national team before the World Cup.

The federation then changed its stance following discussions involving senior players, FFF president Noel Le Graët, Deschamps, and a marketing manager.

Deschamps has also been fielding questions about Le Graët, with whom he has had a strong working relationship over the years.

Le Graët is facing claims of sexual harassment and the FFF is the target of an investigation ordered by France sports minister Amélie Oudéa-Castéra. After meeting with Le Graët last Friday, she announced an “audit and control mission” into the FFF to be carried out by the state inspection body in charge of sports.

The FFF itself is filing a defamation lawsuit against So Foot magazine, which reported this month that Le Graët allegedly harassed several female employees with inappropriate text messages.

Football, anyone?

Deschamps may well be very relieved when Thursday night's match gets underway at Stade de France and he can focus on the field for a couple of hours rather than what's happening off it.

Record chaser

Benzema's minor thigh injury has led to Olivier Giroud's recall and Giroud has a chance both to close in on Thierry Henry's national scoring record of 51 goals and stake his claim for a place in the World Cup squad.

Giroud is on 48, and his presence could also be a blessing in disguise for Deschamps, who is lacking leaders in his squad with so many key players missing. Midfielder N'Golo Kante is another, though he is nursing a minor hamstring injury.

Giroud has become a huge club favorite at AC Milan after helping it win the Serie A last season and commands huge respect within France's squad.

So it may not be a surprise if Giroud — who turns 36 this month — is in France's squad for its opening World Cup match against Australia on Nov. 22.

New faces

The raft of injuries opens the door for fringe players to make an unexpected late push for a place in the World Cup squad.

Central defender Benoit Badiashile and midfielder Youssouf Fofana, who both play for Monaco, and Eintracht Frankfurt forward Randal Kolo Muani are set to make debuts.

Kolo Muani, a mobile forward with good technique, was so awe-struck about being called up that he even spoke about the thrill of simply taking part in training at Clairefontaine.

Exactly the refreshing attitude Deschamps needs right now.



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.