Objections Impede Announcement of New Coordination Framework Alliance in Iraq

Municipal workers perform works at the Freedom Monument in Tahrir Square in the center of Iraq's capital Baghdad on September 24, 2022. (AFP)
Municipal workers perform works at the Freedom Monument in Tahrir Square in the center of Iraq's capital Baghdad on September 24, 2022. (AFP)
TT

Objections Impede Announcement of New Coordination Framework Alliance in Iraq

Municipal workers perform works at the Freedom Monument in Tahrir Square in the center of Iraq's capital Baghdad on September 24, 2022. (AFP)
Municipal workers perform works at the Freedom Monument in Tahrir Square in the center of Iraq's capital Baghdad on September 24, 2022. (AFP)

The Shiite pro-Iran Coordination Framework in Iraq was on the verge of announcing a new alliance that would be tasked with forming a new government.

Prominent Shiite leaders, however, called for suspending the announcement until it is certain that Sadrist movement leader, Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, and members of the October protest movement would not oppose it.

The “management of the state” alliance would include the Framework, Sunni Sovereignty and Azm alliances and Kurdish Democratic Party and Patriotic Union of Kurdistan, comprising around 273 lawmakers.

Former Prime Minister and longtime Sadr rival, Nouri al-Maliki has been the most eager member of the Framework to unveil the alliance, but sources said that “the emergence of fundamental objections by Shiite leaders” has put the announcement on hold.

Three main objections have emerged and were the subject of hours of discussions by Framework members, who are under immense pressure from the Sadr and the protest movement.

The first objection came from Hadi al-Ameri, leader of the Badr Organization, who called for putting the announcement of the alliance on hold until guarantees are obtained from Sadr. The guarantees can only be secured by meeting with the cleric.

The objection did not sit well with Maliki, who has been urging his colleagues to “overcome their fear of the Sadrist movement.”

The second objection came from head of the Hikma movement, Ammar al-Hakim, who supports the formation of a government of independent figures and representatives of the protest movement.

The third objection was voiced by former Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi, who has called for the Framework’s withdrawal of Mohammed Shia al-Sudani's nomination as prime minister.

The nomination had sparked street protests by Sadrists that in turn led to clashes with the Framework that put Iraq on the brink of conflict. Insisting on his nomination would risk enflaming tensions with Sadr.

Figures close to Abadi said these objections forced the Framework to delay the announcement of the new alliance.

Meanwhile, on the ground, hundreds of elite members of the armed factions have redeployed in Baghdad’s Green Zone as the October protest movement prepares to commemorate the third anniversary of their anti-government demonstrations.

The “management of the state” alliance not only excludes Sadr, whose 73 MPs resigned from parliament earlier this year in protest against the ongoing political stalemate, but Turkmen figures as well.

Turkmen officials expressed their disappointment at the exclusion, noting that the group is the third largest in Iraq after Arabs and Kurds.

With 273 MPs, the new alliance would be able to elect a new president and designate a new prime minister to form a government. A president is elected with 220 votes and a PM is designated with a half plus one majority.

Sadr has yet to comment on the would-be alliance that includes his former Sunni and Kurdish allies.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.