WFP Provides Food Assistance for 250 Thousand Yemenis

A Yemeni girl whose family received food aid through the United Nations provided by the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (United Nations)
A Yemeni girl whose family received food aid through the United Nations provided by the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (United Nations)
TT

WFP Provides Food Assistance for 250 Thousand Yemenis

A Yemeni girl whose family received food aid through the United Nations provided by the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (United Nations)
A Yemeni girl whose family received food aid through the United Nations provided by the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (United Nations)

The United Nation World Food Program (WFP) announced plans to maximize support for Yemen, suspended earlier this year due to funding shortfalls, supported by a 30 million euros contribution from Germany.

The WFP said in its Situation Report for August that it will resume work to complete 300 assets in 40 districts across nine Yemeni governorates, reaching 254,000 people through food assistance (FFA) projects.

It also announced resuming its school feeding program and dispatched 1,200 metric tons (mt) of school feeding commodities in August.

However, due to a lack of funding and commodity arrival delays, WFP will only be able to assist around 665,000 (one-third) of the planned 1.9 million school children over the current semester.

According to the report, the inter-agency response continued during August, including through the Food Security and Agriculture Cluster (FSAC) and the UN Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM), led by UNFPA with UNICEF and WFP as supply partners.

By the end of August, the Rapid Response Mechanism had assisted 37,000 people with RRM kits, which include ready-to-eat food provided by the WFP, especially that 18 of the 22 governorates have been impacted by the heavy rains that caused widespread floods across the country, with Marib and Hajjah governorates most affected.

The report revealed that 19 million people suffer from food insecurity in Yemen, while 161,000 people live in famine-like conditions, 3.5 million people are acutely malnourished and 3.1 million people were assisted by the WFP in August.

The latest WFP food security data showed that the nationwide prevalence of inadequate food consumption increased in July for the third consecutive month, reaching the highest levels seen since February 2018.

The report further said that under the terms of the Black Sea Grain Initiative, a WFP- chartered bulk carrier departed Ukraine on August 30 with 37,000 mt of wheat grain bound for WFP’s GFA program in Yemen. The vessel is expected to arrive by mid-October.

By the end of August, the International Organization for Migration Rapid Displacement Tracking reported 51,000 people displaced so far this year, with 20,600 displaced since the truce came into effect on April 2.

The RRM, for its part, assisted 10,500 people in August, approximately a 35% decrease compared to the previous month, the report showed.

The WFP also assisted 406,000 Yemeni children and mothers with nutrition assistance in Yemen in August under its Treatment of Moderate Acute Malnutrition program.

It started the first round of cash assistance for nutrition support under its nutrition assistance program in the same month.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.