3 Mln Children in Sudan Suffer from Malnutrition

Children playing with marbles in a girls' school in Khartoum, where some families suffering from severe economic hardship are dropping their children out of schools. (AFP)
Children playing with marbles in a girls' school in Khartoum, where some families suffering from severe economic hardship are dropping their children out of schools. (AFP)
TT

3 Mln Children in Sudan Suffer from Malnutrition

Children playing with marbles in a girls' school in Khartoum, where some families suffering from severe economic hardship are dropping their children out of schools. (AFP)
Children playing with marbles in a girls' school in Khartoum, where some families suffering from severe economic hardship are dropping their children out of schools. (AFP)

International organizations said that about three million children in Sudan are acutely malnourished, of which 650,000 suffer from severe acute malnutrition and need care.

These children are mainly in Darfur and Kordofan states in western Sudan and the Red Sea region, east of the country. These areas have witnessed armed conflicts and development marginalization.

Spokeswoman for the World Food Program (WFP) Leni Kinzli said in a press statement during the celebration of the “World Food Day” in Khartoum on Sunday that intervention is required immediately.

She stressed that neglect will lead to a rise in the number of deaths among children due to their lack of access to food.

Kinzli underlined the efforts by the international and national partners in Sudan to protect children before they become malnourished.

She affirmed that the WFP will not suspend the school nutrition program before January 2023 but plans to reduce it due to the lack of sufficient funds.

“On the day we celebrate World Food Day, we are facing continuous food insecurity due to the coronavirus pandemic, wars, climate change, and an increase in the economic gap in Sudan,” Kinzli said.

She pointed out that the WFP is developing its policies and mobilizing domestic and international funding to continue working in this field.

For her part, the representative of the Sudanese Ministry of Agriculture, Fatima Elhassan, said a significant increase in agricultural production is expected this year, which will alleviate food shortages.

She pointed out that reports show that the grain production, including corn and millet, on which the majority of citizens depend. will be available. She added that the authorities have taken precautions from safety nets provided to farmers to reduce post-harvest losses by 35%, targeting about 300,000 farmers.

On June 20, the WFP announced its plan to cut rations for refugees in Sudan due to funding shortages.

Hence, as of July 2022, the 552,000 refugee assisted by WFP started receiving only 50% of a full ration, including for new arrivals.

In August, the United Nations said the humanitarian situation in Sudan is alarming.

According to the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification’s (IPC) latest analysis, almost a quarter of Sudan's population - 11.7 million people - are estimated to be facing acute food insecurity, an increase by nearly two million people compared with the same period last year.

The IPC issued the analysis on food security in Sudan in late June. It was carried out between March and April 2022, involving 19 agencies, including several government departments, specialized UN agencies, and local and international non-government organizations (NGOs).

The fragile economy, prolonged dry spells, reduced area cultivated, and erratic rainfall are among the root causes of the increase, according to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) warned from the consequences of lack of funding that covers malnourished children under five years and pregnant or nursing women.

In mid-June, WFP published the Comprehensive Food Security and Vulnerability Assessment (CFSVA) report.

The report stated that the combined effects of the economic and political crisis, conflict and displacement, climate shocks, and poor harvests significantly affected peoples’ access to food in Sudan.

According to the CFSVA, 34% of the population (about 15 million people) were food insecure during the first quarter of 2022.

This is an increase of 7% compared to the same period in 2021, when 27% of the population (12 million people) were food insecure.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.