3 Mln Children in Sudan Suffer from Malnutrition

Children playing with marbles in a girls' school in Khartoum, where some families suffering from severe economic hardship are dropping their children out of schools. (AFP)
Children playing with marbles in a girls' school in Khartoum, where some families suffering from severe economic hardship are dropping their children out of schools. (AFP)
TT

3 Mln Children in Sudan Suffer from Malnutrition

Children playing with marbles in a girls' school in Khartoum, where some families suffering from severe economic hardship are dropping their children out of schools. (AFP)
Children playing with marbles in a girls' school in Khartoum, where some families suffering from severe economic hardship are dropping their children out of schools. (AFP)

International organizations said that about three million children in Sudan are acutely malnourished, of which 650,000 suffer from severe acute malnutrition and need care.

These children are mainly in Darfur and Kordofan states in western Sudan and the Red Sea region, east of the country. These areas have witnessed armed conflicts and development marginalization.

Spokeswoman for the World Food Program (WFP) Leni Kinzli said in a press statement during the celebration of the “World Food Day” in Khartoum on Sunday that intervention is required immediately.

She stressed that neglect will lead to a rise in the number of deaths among children due to their lack of access to food.

Kinzli underlined the efforts by the international and national partners in Sudan to protect children before they become malnourished.

She affirmed that the WFP will not suspend the school nutrition program before January 2023 but plans to reduce it due to the lack of sufficient funds.

“On the day we celebrate World Food Day, we are facing continuous food insecurity due to the coronavirus pandemic, wars, climate change, and an increase in the economic gap in Sudan,” Kinzli said.

She pointed out that the WFP is developing its policies and mobilizing domestic and international funding to continue working in this field.

For her part, the representative of the Sudanese Ministry of Agriculture, Fatima Elhassan, said a significant increase in agricultural production is expected this year, which will alleviate food shortages.

She pointed out that reports show that the grain production, including corn and millet, on which the majority of citizens depend. will be available. She added that the authorities have taken precautions from safety nets provided to farmers to reduce post-harvest losses by 35%, targeting about 300,000 farmers.

On June 20, the WFP announced its plan to cut rations for refugees in Sudan due to funding shortages.

Hence, as of July 2022, the 552,000 refugee assisted by WFP started receiving only 50% of a full ration, including for new arrivals.

In August, the United Nations said the humanitarian situation in Sudan is alarming.

According to the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification’s (IPC) latest analysis, almost a quarter of Sudan's population - 11.7 million people - are estimated to be facing acute food insecurity, an increase by nearly two million people compared with the same period last year.

The IPC issued the analysis on food security in Sudan in late June. It was carried out between March and April 2022, involving 19 agencies, including several government departments, specialized UN agencies, and local and international non-government organizations (NGOs).

The fragile economy, prolonged dry spells, reduced area cultivated, and erratic rainfall are among the root causes of the increase, according to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) warned from the consequences of lack of funding that covers malnourished children under five years and pregnant or nursing women.

In mid-June, WFP published the Comprehensive Food Security and Vulnerability Assessment (CFSVA) report.

The report stated that the combined effects of the economic and political crisis, conflict and displacement, climate shocks, and poor harvests significantly affected peoples’ access to food in Sudan.

According to the CFSVA, 34% of the population (about 15 million people) were food insecure during the first quarter of 2022.

This is an increase of 7% compared to the same period in 2021, when 27% of the population (12 million people) were food insecure.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.