Israel’s Shin Bet Boosts Security Measures for Netanyahu, Gantz

 Israeli former Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu gives a speech during a right-wing demonstration in central Jerusalem against violence and current government on April 6, 2022. (dpa)
Israeli former Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu gives a speech during a right-wing demonstration in central Jerusalem against violence and current government on April 6, 2022. (dpa)
TT

Israel’s Shin Bet Boosts Security Measures for Netanyahu, Gantz

 Israeli former Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu gives a speech during a right-wing demonstration in central Jerusalem against violence and current government on April 6, 2022. (dpa)
Israeli former Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu gives a speech during a right-wing demonstration in central Jerusalem against violence and current government on April 6, 2022. (dpa)

Israel’s intelligence agency (Shin Bet) announced Thursday boosting the security measures for Defense Minister Benny Gantz and Opposition Leader Benjamin Netanyahu.

Security sources in Israel expected further reinforcement due to the increased threats both figures have been facing during the election campaign period, which ends on November 1.

“In recent years, there have been incessant threats to harm me, my wife and sons, and even to murder them, including in the last six months,” said Netanyahu in a video posted on social media.

“A far left-wing organization, which calls itself ‘CRIME MINISTER’ issued another direct threat to harm my wife and sons,” Netanyahu added.

In early 2022, Netanyahu and his family members received two letters threatening their lives.

“Yair the bastard, we are four Israelis abroad, we will arrive in Israel soon to kill you and your garbage father, and also your mother. Death will die soon. Wait for us. We will arrive very soon,” the first letter to his son Yair read.

“Death to Sarah, death to Yair, soon. We are on our way. We want to see their blood in front of the streets of Caesarea. Death to them. Then it will be Bibi the criminal’s turn. The State of Israel must be free of all members of the Netanyahu family,” the second letter read.

The hate rhetoric and violence acts have recently increased as the election day approaches.

Israel’s police registered many violations and exchanged accusations.

Twitter has removed a foreign network of fake accounts caught trying to sway Israeli public discourse ahead of the elections.

The network, which was discovered by Israeli civil monitor Fake Reporter, included over 40 fake accounts that were run from outside Israel.

The account pushed content seemingly promoting politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, likely with the aim of amplifying political tensions within Israel's far-right camp.

The accounts are believed to be run by foreign actors outside of Israel.

“The network focused on MK Itamar Ben-Gvir: Responded to his tweets, showed support for him and encouraged his running alone in an attempt to separate him and Religious Zonism head Bezalel Smotrich, who leads their joint slate. The profiles promoted messages calling for Ben-Gvir to run on a separate slate from Smotrich ‘at the last moment,’ a day before the [last day to submit party slates] for the Knesset,” Fake Reporter said in its report.



US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."


Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
TT

Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)

A fire broke out in Iran's Parand near the capital city Tehran, state media reported on Wednesday, publishing videos of smoke rising over the area which is close to several military and strategic sites in the country's Tehran province, Reuters reported.

"The black smoke seen near the city of Parand is the result of a fire in the reeds around the Parand river bank... fire fighters are on site and the fire extinguishing operation is underway", state media cited the Parand fire department as saying.


Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
TT

Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo

Before Pakistan commits to sending troops to Gaza as part of the International Stabilization Force it wants assurances from the United States that it will be a peacekeeping mission rather than tasked with disarming Hamas, three sources told Reuters.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is set to attend the first formal meeting of President Donald Trump's Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, alongside delegations from at least 20 countries.

Trump, who will chair the meeting, is expected to announce a multi-billion dollar reconstruction plan for Gaza and detail plans for a UN-authorized stabilization force for the Palestinian enclave.

Three government sources said during the Washington visit Sharif wanted to better understand the goal of the ISF, what authority they were operating under and what the chain of command was before making a decision on deploying troops.

"We are ready to send troops. Let me make it clear that our troops could only be part of a peace mission in Gaza," said one of the sources, a close aide of Sharif.

"We will not be part of any other role, such as disarming Hamas. It is out of the question," he said.

Analysts say Pakistan would be an asset to the multinational force, with its experienced military that has gone to war with arch-rival India and tackled insurgencies.

"We can send initially a couple of thousand troops anytime, but we need to know what role they are going to play," the source added.

Two of the sources said it was likely Sharif, who has met Trump earlier this year in Davos and late last year at the White House, would either have an audience with him on the sidelines of the meeting or the following day at the White House.

Initially designed to cement Gaza's ceasefire, Trump sees the Board of Peace, launched in late January, taking a wider role in resolving global conflicts. Some countries have reacted cautiously, fearing it could become a rival to the United Nations.

While Pakistan has supported the establishment of the board, it has voiced concerns against the mission to demilitarize Gaza's militant group Hamas.