Egypt Insists on Withdrawal of Mercenaries from Libya

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry meets with UN Special Envoy to Libya Abdoulaye Bathily in Cairo. (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry meets with UN Special Envoy to Libya Abdoulaye Bathily in Cairo. (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)
TT

Egypt Insists on Withdrawal of Mercenaries from Libya

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry meets with UN Special Envoy to Libya Abdoulaye Bathily in Cairo. (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry meets with UN Special Envoy to Libya Abdoulaye Bathily in Cairo. (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)

Cairo hosted on Monday meetings with Libyan officials, including parliament Speaker Aguila Saleh. The UN Special Envoy to Libya, Abdoulaye Bathily, also met Sameh Shoukry, the Egyptian Foreign Minister.

Egypt reiterated its demand for the withdrawal of mercenaries and foreign forces from Libya.

Secretary General of the Arab League Ahmed Aboul Gheit met with Saleh to discuss challenges facing the Libyan political process and solutions to the ongoing crisis.

After the meeting, Saleh said holding Libyan elections required several measures, but hoped the Constitutional Committee would complete its tasks soon. He also voiced optimism towards the Committee finding consensus on sovereign institutions.

Saleh said the executive authority represented in the government of Abdulhamid al-Dbeibah had been tasked with specific duties to complete within a deadline, but it failed.

He called on the UN envoy, Bathily, to invite the Constitutional Base Committee, formed by the parliament and the High Council of State, to meet.

The speaker also stressed that the absence of a UN envoy during the recent period, after the resignation of Stephanie Williams, hindered the completion of the constitutional foundation because the meeting of the committee must be held under the auspices of the UN.

A new round of negotiations on the “constitutional track” between Saleh and the head of the High Council of State, Khaled al-Mishri, will start in Cairo with the presence of Bathily, sources reported.

Saleh and Mishri did not announce in advance that either of them would meet in Cairo.

However, council members talked about a meeting aimed at completing the discussion on unifying the executive authority, filling sovereign positions, and providing a constitutional basis for postponed presidential and parliamentary elections.

Shoukry stressed “the importance of the UN role in supporting the political and constitutional processes, legal frameworks and encouraging Libyan dialogue.”

The FM added that the implementation of standing agreements and legal mandates requires first the application of UN and international decisions regarding the withdrawal all foreign forces and mercenaries from Libya.

The pullout, according to Shoukry, needs to be complete within a certain timeline.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.