Human Rights Organizations Warn of Houthis' Obstruction of Girls Education in Yemen

The seminar on "Girls' Education in the Islamic World" in Cairo (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The seminar on "Girls' Education in the Islamic World" in Cairo (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Human Rights Organizations Warn of Houthis' Obstruction of Girls Education in Yemen

The seminar on "Girls' Education in the Islamic World" in Cairo (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The seminar on "Girls' Education in the Islamic World" in Cairo (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Arab and regional human rights organizations warned that the Houthis in Yemen, the Taliban in Afghanistan, and Boko Haram in Nigeria obstructed girls' education.

Coinciding with the UN's awareness campaign of "16 Days against Gender-Based Violence," the organizations held a seminar on "Girls' Education in the Islamic World" in Cairo.

The seminar included representatives from Pakistan's Malala Fund, the National Council for Women in Egypt, the Arab Women Organization, the Women Development Organization of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), and the International Islamic Center for Population Studies and Research, affiliated with al-Azhar University.

A recent study by the Egyptian Center for Women's Rights, presented during the panel, shed light on Houthi practices in Yemen and the methods of Boko Haram and Taliban.

The study noted that the "political use of the Islamic religion" and the employment of religious texts contrary to the Islamic true values, which led to the production of populist discourse, contributed to affecting girls' opportunities in education.

The Middle East representative of the Malala Fund, Rana al-Houjeiri, stressed that it is time to correct the concepts of the Islamic religion in some countries that prevent girls' education.

Houjeiri announced that the OIC and al-Azhar partnered on this issue, calling for an end to the persecution of girls in Afghanistan.

The Director General of the Arab Women Organization, Fadia Kiwan, warned against igniting strife and distorting the Islamic religion by some extremist organizations and groups, urging all concerned parties to put an end to violence against women, child marriage, and girls' school dropout.

Head of the Egyptian Center for Women Rights Nehad Abul Komsan said that the conference aimed to enact policies that limit girls' school dropout and spread the correct religious teachings which help develop countries and increase the chances of girls obtaining higher-paying jobs.

It explained that this would increase family income and reflect positively on the standard of living.

Abul Komsan told Asharq Al-Awsat that al-Azhar issued a document on women's rights in 2013, but it needs more activation, noting that the Center published a two-year study on girls' education in the Islamic world, which al-Azhar reviewed and praised.

The American Center for Justice (ACJ) monitored, in a report last year, the violations of education in Yemen between 2014 and 2020, stating that more than 170,000 male and female teachers in areas under Houthi control have not been receiving their salaries regularly in the last five years.

The report showed that Houthis committed a series of violations against teachers, including dismissing 286 teachers from their jobs, displacing them from their villages, homes, and schools, and replacing them with their members.

The militia made fundamental changes in the school curricula based on racism, sectarianism, and religious incitement, noted the report.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.