Kurdish Forces: Deadly ISIS Assault Targeting Syria Prison 'Thwarted'

A Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighter stands near Kurdish internal security special forces during a security operation in al-Hol camp which holds displaced people and families of ISIS militants, in Hasakeh governorate, in northeast Syria August 26, 2022. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
A Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighter stands near Kurdish internal security special forces during a security operation in al-Hol camp which holds displaced people and families of ISIS militants, in Hasakeh governorate, in northeast Syria August 26, 2022. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Kurdish Forces: Deadly ISIS Assault Targeting Syria Prison 'Thwarted'

A Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighter stands near Kurdish internal security special forces during a security operation in al-Hol camp which holds displaced people and families of ISIS militants, in Hasakeh governorate, in northeast Syria August 26, 2022. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
A Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighter stands near Kurdish internal security special forces during a security operation in al-Hol camp which holds displaced people and families of ISIS militants, in Hasakeh governorate, in northeast Syria August 26, 2022. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

ISIS militants in northern Syria launched a failed attack targeting a prison holding fellow extremists in a clash that killed six Kurdish fighters, local authorities and a war monitor said.

The Kurdish fighters were killed in the assault on a security complex near a prison with ISIS inmates in Raqqa, the group's former de facto capital in Syria, said Farhad Shami, spokesperson for the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces.

But "ISIS failed to attack the prison because our forces thwarted their assault", he said.

He confirmed the six deaths to AFP, adding that security forces killed a militant wearing an explosive belt and apprehended his accomplice.

Britain-based war monitor, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, had earlier reported two extremists killed.

The failed assault targeted a Kurdish security complex, which includes a military intelligence prison housing militants, the monitor said.

"The militants were targeting the military intelligence prison" housing hundreds of extremists, including 200 high-level fighters, said Rami Abdel Rahman, who heads the Observatory.

SDF commander Mazloum Abdi said in a statement that "terrorist cells" had attacked "security and military buildings in the city".

"The information we have from Raqqa indicates that ISIS cells are preparing dangerous plots," he added.

Kurdish-led authorities announced a state of emergency in Raqqa and have put the city on lockdown until further notice, as security forces hunt down militants at large.

Security forces are still searching the area to arrest members of the cell, spokesperson Shami said.

ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack, saying two of its fighters had launched it, one of whom had escaped.

The group said the attack came to avenge "Muslim prisoners" and female relatives of militants living in the Kurdish-administered Al-Hol camp.

Al-Hol, home to more than 50,000 people, is the largest camp for displaced people who fled after the SDF led the battle that dislodged ISIS fighters from the last scraps of their Syrian territory in 2019.

Among Al-Hol's detainees are more than 10,000 foreigners from dozens of countries.

The overcrowded camp is also home to displaced Syrians, and Iraqi refugees.

This is the most significant militant attack on a prison since ISIS fighters launched their biggest assault in years in January, when they attacked the Ghwayran prison in the Kurdish-controlled city of Hasakeh.

Hundreds were killed in the assault that lasted for a week and aimed to free fellow militants.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.