Looming Catastrophe in North Syria After Suspension of Int’l Aid

A displaced Syrian family in Idlib camps (Asharq Al-Awsat)
A displaced Syrian family in Idlib camps (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Looming Catastrophe in North Syria After Suspension of Int’l Aid

A displaced Syrian family in Idlib camps (Asharq Al-Awsat)
A displaced Syrian family in Idlib camps (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Local humanitarian organizations in northwest Syria warned Monday of “catastrophic consequences” resulting from the closure of Bab al-Hawa crossing on the border with Türkiye, which allows access for medical assistance to millions of citizens, including 2.5 million displaced persons.

The Syria Response Team, an organization concerned with monitoring the humanitarian situation in NW Syria, warned in a statement that some 2.2 million people will be affected from the closure of the humanitarian lifeline that secures food provided by the World Food Program.

Other organizations and around 2.65 million people will be deprived of clean or drinking water, it added.

The Syria Response Team said this catastrophe looms as the mandate of UN Resolution 2642 approaches an end while international agencies insist to legitimize the entry of humanitarian aid through crossings of the Syrian regime.

Last month, local and international humanitarian organizations have called on the UN Security Council to renew and extend the Syria cross-border resolution 2642 for at least 12 months to allow humanitarian aid into northwest Syria through the Bab al-Hawa crossing.

The resolution will be put to a vote on January 10.

The Syria Response Team warned Monday that the closure of Bab al-Hawa crossing will interrupt bread support in more than 725 camps, and deprive more than a million people from obtaining bread on a daily basis.

At the medical level, the Team said that “stopping the entry of aid across the borders will reduce the number of hospitals and effective medical facilities to less than half in the first stage, and more than 80 percent will be closed in the second stage.”

It noted that starting 2023, eight medical facilities have already seen reduced or no aid while less than 20 percent of facilities in the camp are receiving medical support.

Also, humanitarian organizations are unable to provide support to repair damages within the camps, the Team said, noting also the increase in the birth rate, and the arrival of new displaced people.

Meanwhile, medical authorities in NW Syria spoke of a new crisis with the interruption of support for dozens of hospitals and medical facilities, and the near depletion of operational materials in a number of other hospitals that provide multiple medical services to more than two million civilians, most of whom are displaced people residing in camps.

The medical authorities said a number of hospitals already stopped providing medical services to civilians suffering from heart, respiratory and orthopedic diseases starting the first day of 2023. They named the Atma Charitable Hospital, HIH Hospital for Children, Armanaz Hospital, and Al-Quds Hospital north of Idlib.

Ahmed al-Hassan, director of Syria's Al Khair camp, which houses about 800 displaced families north of Idlib, said “a horrible catastrophe may affect millions of people residing in the area, unless the mechanism for entering international humanitarian aid is renewed as soon as possible.”

He also spoke about a possible famine among the displaced, and the spread of epidemics and diseases.

More than 2.5 million displaced people from different regions of Syria are unemployed and have no source of income to survive, al-Hassan said.

He stressed that most of the displaced families in the camps depend on the monthly baskets provided by international partner organizations of the UN and WPF.



Lebanon Says One Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says One Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

An Israeli strike on Lebanon's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed one person on Friday, state media reported, with the Israeli army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas.

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon.

It reported that one person was killed and an unspecified number wounded.

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene.

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated".

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah.

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people.

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon.

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering months of exchanges that culminated in two months of all-out war in Lebanon.

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad.


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.