Türkiye: No Normalization with Damascus at Syrians Expense

Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar (Reuters)
Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar (Reuters)
TT

Türkiye: No Normalization with Damascus at Syrians Expense

Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar (Reuters)
Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar (Reuters)

Türkiye reaffirmed it will not take any decision regarding the normalization of ties with the regime of Bashar al-Assad in Syria so long that it could damage the lives of Syrians in opposition-run territory in the north.

Defense Minister Hulusi Akar stressed that his country will not take any decision that would harm the Syrians in Türkiye or those residing in northwestern Syria.

During a meeting with army leaders on Monday night, Akar discussed many issues, including the fight against terrorism and the path of normalization with the Syrian regime sponsored by Russia.

Akar reaffirmed that his country uses international relations and diplomacy extensively in combating terrorism.

The minister also pointed out that Türkiye made it clear that it is determined to fight terrorism.

According to Akar, his country made this clear at a tripartite meeting held in Moscow on December 28. The meeting included the defense and intelligence services of Türkiye, Russia and Syria.

The Turkish side also expressed to its interlocutors its desire to put an end to the flow of migration and its intention to ensure that the Syrians in Türkiye return to their lands and homes “voluntarily, safely, and in a dignified manner” after the necessary conditions are met.

“We have Syrian brothers and sisters and we have no room to take a decision in any situation that would put them in trouble. This should be known to everyone as we follow a very clear policy in this regard,” said Akar.

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, during a meeting with representatives of the Syrian community in New York last Friday, renewed Türkiye’s support for the political process in Syria in accordance with UN Security Council Resolution 2254.

Akar, for his part, stressed that Türkiye respects the sovereignty and territorial integrity of neighboring countries, and that its military operations in northern Syria and Iraq solely target “terrorists.”

The minister pointed to the attacks that targeted the Bab al-Salameh border crossing in the Syrian city of Azaz last Friday and said that Turkish forces retaliated to the assault in kind.

He revealed that 20 “terrorists” had been killed in the retaliatory attack. Türkiye labels elements from the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), of which the Kurdish People’s Protection (YPG) make up the primary component of forces, as terrorists.

“We've done whatever needed to be done. We are determined to continue to do so in the future, and there is no room for concessions to terrorists, and we will continue our fight resolutely to end terrorism,” said Akar.

On Saturday, the Turkish Ministry of Defense announced that it had responded to the shelling launched from SDF-run sites in Tal Rifaat in the countryside of Aleppo. The SDF had targeted a Turkish base in Kilis, a city in south-central Türkiye, near the border with Syria.

Akar also noted that Turkish forces had “neutralized” a total of 134 terrorists (SDF fighters) in the last month.

In other news, Turkish authorities denied social media reports made by Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) and YPG loyalists. According to the Kurdish groups, the Syrian regime had attacked a Turkish base in Idlib, wounding and killing several soldiers.

The Turkish Directorate of Communications, however, has labeled the reports as fake news.

The Directorate corrected the report and said that the attack was launched by the SDF, not the regime.

It said that the shells fell in Kilis but did not cause any casualties.

“Turkish armed forces immediately responded to the sources of fire, targeted the terrorists’ concentration points, and managed to neutralize 20 elements,” the Directorate reported.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.