UN Special Envoy: Syria Remains Deeply Divided

The United Nations Special Envoy to Syria, Geir Pedersen, with Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal al-Mekdad in Damascus, Dec. 07, 2022 (file photo: AFP)
The United Nations Special Envoy to Syria, Geir Pedersen, with Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal al-Mekdad in Damascus, Dec. 07, 2022 (file photo: AFP)
TT

UN Special Envoy: Syria Remains Deeply Divided

The United Nations Special Envoy to Syria, Geir Pedersen, with Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal al-Mekdad in Damascus, Dec. 07, 2022 (file photo: AFP)
The United Nations Special Envoy to Syria, Geir Pedersen, with Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal al-Mekdad in Damascus, Dec. 07, 2022 (file photo: AFP)

The United Nations Special Envoy to Syria, Geir Pedersen, confirmed on Wednesday that Syria remains tattered and deeply divided, facing massive economic hardships of “epic proportions.”

Pedersen determined six priorities to proceed with a political process based on Resolution 2254, led by the UN, which requires unity from all parties of the international community.

Speaking at the Security Council meeting in New York to discuss the political and humanitarian situation in Syria, the envoy said the Syrian people are still facing a profound humanitarian, political, military, security, economic, and human rights crisis of “great complexity and almost unimaginable scale” in a country that remains de facto divided into several parts.

He noted that five foreign armies, multiple Syrian armed groups, and Security Council-listed terrorists are all active in Syria.

Serious abuses and violations of international humanitarian law and human rights continue across Syria, said the envoy.

He added that over a decade of destruction and war, corruption, sanctions, the Lebanese financial collapse, the recent COVID-19 pandemic, and the war in Ukraine have contributed to “a twin humanitarian and economic crisis of epic proportions.”

Pedersen explained that roughly half the pre-war population remains displaced, warning that Syria is witnessing growing reports of the illicit drug trade.

A solution was not imminent, said the envoy, but stressed his efforts to reach concrete measures that can establish confidence-building measures among parties and establish an actual process for implementing Resolution 2254.

The envoy reviewed his meetings with the Syrian parties, indicating that he will return to Damascus in February to hold meetings with Foreign Minister Faisal al-Mekdad and the co-chair of the Syrian Constitutional Committee nominated by the government, Ahmed al-Kuzbari.

Pedersen previously met with the Syrian Negotiations Commission (SNC) President, Badr Jamous, and the co-chair of the Syrian Constitutional Committee, Hadi Albahra, in Geneva.

He also met Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister, Faisal bin Farhan, in Davos, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, and other envoys, explaining that he has priorities, namely a nationwide ceasefire remains essential to resolving the conflict.

Pedersen also prioritized renewing the framework in this Security Council on the humanitarian front, thanking the members of the Council for their unanimous adoption of Resolution 2672, which allowed a cross-border aid delivery mechanism into Syria through a crossing point on the Turkish border.

The third priority called for resuming the work of the Constitutional Committee and achieving more substantive progress in Geneva.

Pedersen called for advancing the file of missing persons and abductees, stressing that substantive steps must be taken to ensure the protection and rights of detainees.

The envoy also prioritized achieving step-by-step confidence-building measures, calling for taking verifiable steps that can positively affect the lives of Syrians.

He concluded that the diplomatic effort requires the involvement of all relevant Syrians and international actors, calling for a joint effort to unite behind a process owned and operated by the Syrians with UN facilitation.

During the meeting, Deputy Director of the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs Ghada Mudawi discussed the humanitarian situation in Syria, saying it was one of the “most complex humanitarian and protection emergencies in the world.”

Mudawi asserted that the Office needs renewed commitment from all parties, better access, sustained donor generosity, and rapid, substantial, and unearmarked pledges, expressing her hope that the Council will uphold its moral duty to support people in Syria.

- Western envoys

Meanwhile, representatives of France, Germany, the United Kingdom, and the United States met at the envoys level in Geneva with the UN Special Envoy to discuss the crisis in Syria.

They issued a joint statement reaffirming their steadfast support for Pedersen’s efforts to reach a political solution to the Syrian conflict in line with UN Security Council Resolution 2254.

“We expressed our firm commitment to the implementation of all aspects of UNSCR 2254, including a nationwide ceasefire, the release of any arbitrarily detained persons, free and fair elections, and the need to build conditions for the safe, dignified, and voluntary return of refugees and internally displaced persons, consistent with UN standards,” read the statement.

They stressed that UNSCR 2254 remains the only viable solution to the conflict.

The representatives concluded that they look forward to working with partners in the region and opposition to engage fully under this framework, including the reciprocal step-for-step process, through the UN Special Envoy to ensure that a durable political solution remains within reach.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.