Iran Receives Messages from Nuclear Deal Parties via Qatar

Iran's Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian with his Qatari counterpart Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani in Tehran on Sunday. (AP)
Iran's Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian with his Qatari counterpart Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani in Tehran on Sunday. (AP)
TT

Iran Receives Messages from Nuclear Deal Parties via Qatar

Iran's Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian with his Qatari counterpart Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani in Tehran on Sunday. (AP)
Iran's Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian with his Qatari counterpart Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani in Tehran on Sunday. (AP)

Iran announced on Sunday that it has received, via Qatar, messages from countries participating in the stalled 2015 nuclear deal talks.

Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian made the announcement during a press conference in Tehran with his Qatari counterpart Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani.

The Iranian official did not provide any details about the details of the messages, but he welcomed the efforts made by Doha to revive the nuclear negotiations that have been stalled for months.

He thanked Qatar for its efforts "to return all parties to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) to their obligations."

In turn, Sheikh Mohammed asserted that Qatar always seeks to create a suitable environment for holding additional negotiating rounds on the nuclear agreement, adding that the US sent several nuclear deal-related messages to Doha to convey to Tehran, but perhaps not directly.

Neither of the two ministers revealed the details of the US message and what it would entail.

The Qatari FM tweeted that he met Amirabdolahian and discussed "bilateral relations and the latest developments in the nuclear deal file."

"Qatar looks forward to promoting joint efforts that leave a positive impact on society and the region," he said.

During the press conference, Amirabdolahian stressed that Iran has always welcomed regional dialogue to ensure strong and stable cooperation, accusing the US and its allies of "economic terrorism" against Iran.

"We thank Qatar for its efforts to lift the sanctions. Qatar is trying to return all JCPOA parties to their commitments. Today, we received messages from the other parties of the JCPOA through the Foreign Minister of Qatar. We thank Qatar for its goodwill to bring all parties to the final steps of the agreement," he added.

Doha has previously tried to bridge views between Iran and the US on the nuclear agreement.

Sheikh Mohammed touched on the importance of boosting economic and trade cooperation with Iran, stressing that Doha is looking forward to strengthening its relations with all regional countries.

Iran and Western countries began talks in Vienna in April 2021 to revive the nuclear agreement after Washington unilaterally withdrew from it in 2018, but the discussions have yet to achieve any tangible progress.

Meanwhile, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Rafael Grossi, announced on Tuesday that he intends to visit Iran in February to hold talks to get Tehran to resume cooperation on its nuclear activities.

Grossi referred to the "big, big impasse" in the negotiations and said that Iran's withdrawal from the agreement, including its disconnection of 27 IAEA cameras monitoring its declared nuclear sites, means that the IAEA is no longer effectively watching Tehran's nuclear program.

He stressed that the agency could not monitor what was going on for "at least a year," hoping to be "making some progress" on restoring Iranian cooperation with his agency during his planned visit.

Grossi stressed that this "trajectory is certainly not a good one," speaking of Iran's recent nuclear activities, including enriching uranium to a level higher than specified in the JCPOA.

"They have amassed enough nuclear material for several nuclear weapons — not one at this point," he said, listing 70 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60 percent purity and 1,000 kilograms at 20 percent.



Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
TT

Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo

Before Pakistan commits to sending troops to Gaza as part of the International Stabilization Force it wants assurances from the United States that it will be a peacekeeping mission rather than tasked with disarming Hamas, three sources told Reuters.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is set to attend the first formal meeting of President Donald Trump's Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, alongside delegations from at least 20 countries.

Trump, who will chair the meeting, is expected to announce a multi-billion dollar reconstruction plan for Gaza and detail plans for a UN-authorized stabilization force for the Palestinian enclave.

Three government sources said during the Washington visit Sharif wanted to better understand the goal of the ISF, what authority they were operating under and what the chain of command was before making a decision on deploying troops.

"We are ready to send troops. Let me make it clear that our troops could only be part of a peace mission in Gaza," said one of the sources, a close aide of Sharif.

"We will not be part of any other role, such as disarming Hamas. It is out of the question," he said.

Analysts say Pakistan would be an asset to the multinational force, with its experienced military that has gone to war with arch-rival India and tackled insurgencies.

"We can send initially a couple of thousand troops anytime, but we need to know what role they are going to play," the source added.

Two of the sources said it was likely Sharif, who has met Trump earlier this year in Davos and late last year at the White House, would either have an audience with him on the sidelines of the meeting or the following day at the White House.

Initially designed to cement Gaza's ceasefire, Trump sees the Board of Peace, launched in late January, taking a wider role in resolving global conflicts. Some countries have reacted cautiously, fearing it could become a rival to the United Nations.

While Pakistan has supported the establishment of the board, it has voiced concerns against the mission to demilitarize Gaza's militant group Hamas.


Türkiye Pleased with Alignment Steps by Syria, Kurdish Forces, Erdogan Says

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
TT

Türkiye Pleased with Alignment Steps by Syria, Kurdish Forces, Erdogan Says

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said he is pleased to see steps taken in neighbouring Syria to integrate the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) into state structures, after a US-backed ceasefire deal late last month between the sides.

In a readout on Wednesday of his comments to reporters on a return flight from Ethiopia, Erdogan was cited as saying Ankara is closely monitoring the Syrian integration steps and providing guidance on implementing the agreement.

Meanwhile, a Turkish parliamentary commission voted overwhelmingly on Wednesday to approve a report envisaging legal reforms alongside the militant Kurdistan Workers Party's (PKK) disarmament, advancing a peace process meant to end decades of conflict.

The PKK - designated a terrorist organization by Türkiye, the United States and European Union - halted attacks last year and said it would disarm and disband, calling on Ankara to take steps to let its members participate in politics.

The roughly 60-page report proposes a roadmap for the parliament to enact laws, including a conditional legal framework that urges the judiciary to review legislation and comply with European Court of Human Rights and Constitutional Court rulings.

The pro-Kurdish DEM Party, which has been closely involved in the process and held several meetings with PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan in prison, objected to the report's presentation of the Kurdish issue as a terrorism problem but generally welcomed the report and called for rapid implementation.

“We believe legal regulations must be enacted quickly,” senior DEM lawmaker Gulistan Kilic Kocyigit told Reuters. Parts of the report offered “a very important roadmap for the advancement of this process," she said.

Erdogan signaled that the legislative process would begin straight away. “Now, discussions will begin in our parliament regarding the legal aspects of the process,” he said.


Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.