UN Condemns ‘Deepening Crackdown’ on Opposition in Tunisia

Supporters of Ennahdha movement stage a protest in front of the justice ministry to denounce the arrest of one of its senior leaders in Tunis, Friday, Dec. 23, 2022. (AP Photo/Hassene Dridi, File)
Supporters of Ennahdha movement stage a protest in front of the justice ministry to denounce the arrest of one of its senior leaders in Tunis, Friday, Dec. 23, 2022. (AP Photo/Hassene Dridi, File)
TT

UN Condemns ‘Deepening Crackdown’ on Opposition in Tunisia

Supporters of Ennahdha movement stage a protest in front of the justice ministry to denounce the arrest of one of its senior leaders in Tunis, Friday, Dec. 23, 2022. (AP Photo/Hassene Dridi, File)
Supporters of Ennahdha movement stage a protest in front of the justice ministry to denounce the arrest of one of its senior leaders in Tunis, Friday, Dec. 23, 2022. (AP Photo/Hassene Dridi, File)

The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Volker Türk, has voiced concern over the deepening crackdown in Tunisia against perceived political opponents, his Office, OHCHR, said Tuesday. 

“Türk expressed his concern over the deepening crackdown against perceived political opponents and civil society in Tunisia, including through measures taken by the authorities that continue to undermine the independence of the judiciary,” OHCHR spokesperson Jeremy Laurence said.

He said that since Saturday, at least nine people have been reportedly arrested and some detained on security and graft charges. 

Last week, the Tunisian security apparatuses arrested activists, former lawyers and a prominent businessman.  

The arrests included former justice minister Noureddine Bhiri, a senior figure in Ennahdha party, and Mosaique FM director Noureddine Boutar.

According to Laurence, the UN Human Rights Office has observed that the General Prosecutor has increasingly initiated criminal proceedings against perceived opponents, charging them with “conspiracy against state security”, causing offense to the Head of State or violating the decree-law to fight Cybercrime.

“We are additionally concerned that some of those held on charges connected to criticizing the government have been tried in military courts and we call on the authorities to cease immediately practices of trying civilians before military tribunals,” he said.

OHCHR called on the Tunisian authorities to respect due process and fair trial standards in all judicial proceedings and to release immediately all those arbitrarily detained, including anyone detained in relation to the exercise of their rights to freedom of opinion or expression.

The UN also condemned the series of measures taken since July 2021 by authorities, who undermined the independence of the judiciary, including dissolving the High Judicial Council and sacking 57 judges.

Meanwhile, a group of Tunisian political parties called for the release of all detainees arrested since last Saturday on charges of “conspiracy against state security.”

Tunisia’s left wing parties, the Democratic Current, Ettakatol, Workers' Party and Al-Qotb, denounced what they called “the manipulation of the Public Prosecution and security services to intimidate critical voices of the regime, including political activists, trade unionists, media figures, intellectuals, and businessmen.”

For its part, Ennahdha party condemned the arrests and accused the security services of “abducting and prosecuting” the regime’s opponents.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.