Israeli Delegation Expelled from African Union Summit

African heads of state gather for a group photograph at the AU Summit. (Photo: AP)
African heads of state gather for a group photograph at the AU Summit. (Photo: AP)
TT

Israeli Delegation Expelled from African Union Summit

African heads of state gather for a group photograph at the AU Summit. (Photo: AP)
African heads of state gather for a group photograph at the AU Summit. (Photo: AP)

A senior Israeli diplomat on Saturday was asked to leave the session of the African Union’s annual summit in Ethiopia, in a move that some observers saw as “an African rejection of a fait accompli that Israel wants to impose on the continent,” which has long fought colonialism.

Meanwhile, Secretary-General of the League of Arab States Ahmed Aboul Gheit praised the “solid” Arab-African partnership, saying that he was looking forward for the fifth Arab-African summit, which will convene in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia later this year.

“This will achieve a quantum leap in the strategic partnership between the two sides, in a way that reflects the historical ties and common interests between them,” he told the conference.

For his part, Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh, stressed the importance of strengthening the Arab-African dialogue, adding that Palestine’s invitation to attend the African Union summit was “a message of solidarity with the inalienable Palestinian rights.”

Addressing the opening session of the summit, which is held in the Ethiopian capital, Shtayyeh thanked the African leaders for the opportunity to speak on behalf of Palestine from the AU platform.

“A free Africa, which defeated colonialism and lit a bright future for its people, today enjoys… free movement and free trade away from military and customs barriers,” he said.

The Palestinian premier voiced his appreciation for the African countries’ support to Palestine, saying his participation in the AU summit confirmed the endeavor to “work together for the well-being of Africa, to be free from violence, poverty and unemployment.”

Shtayyeh noted that his country was facing “the last colonization on earth,” represented by the Israeli settlement of the Palestinian land.

“This colonization was recently crowned by the new Israeli government with more land confiscation,” he said, adding that Palestinian residents have become “refugees through the construction of more Israeli settlements approved by the current government.”

This came as a video widely circulated on social media platforms showed security personnel escorting Sharon Bar-Li, deputy for African affairs in the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs, out of the summit hall, following a dispute over Israel’s accreditation to the bloc.

“Israel looks harshly upon the incident in which the deputy director for Africa, Ambassador Sharon Bar-Li, was removed from the African Union hall despite her status as an accredited observer with entrance badges,” the Israeli foreign ministry later said in a statement.

Moussa Faki, Chairperson of the African Union Commission in 2021, agreed unilaterally, and without consulting the AU member-states, to accredit Israel as an “observer”. The move sparked a dispute within the organization.

The African Union summit last year decided to suspend Israel’s accreditation and to form a committee of seven members, headed by Algeria and South Africa, to determine whether or not to grant Israel the status of “observer”.

Officials from South Africa and Algeria said earlier that granting Israel an observer status “contradicts the positions of the African Union in support of the Palestinians.”

In response to a question about Israel’s accusations against South Africa and Algeria of being behind the expulsion of its envoy, Vincent Magwenya, spokesman for South African President Cyril Ramaphosa, told AFP: “They must substantiate their claim.”

Commenting on the incident, Ambassador Salah Halima, former Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Chairperson of the Egyptian Parliament for African Affairs committee, said that the decision to grant Israel the status of observer at the African Union was a “mistake from the beginning.”

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, Halima said that expelling the Israeli envoy and preventing her from attending the AU sessions “does not violate diplomatic rules,” pointing out that Israel’s membership was suspended based on a previous decision of the summit.

He also noted that Israel’s membership in the Organization of the African Union “contradicts the history of the organization and the continent,” noting that Africa fought a long struggle to resist colonialism and occupation of its lands by foreign countries.

More than two-thirds of the AU member states recognize Israel and maintain diplomatic relations with it.



Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.