Al-Gosaibi to Asharq Al-Awsat: Houthis Have Turned Everyday Objects into Explosive Mines

Houthi landmines that have been concealed as rocks. (Masam Project)
Houthi landmines that have been concealed as rocks. (Masam Project)
TT

Al-Gosaibi to Asharq Al-Awsat: Houthis Have Turned Everyday Objects into Explosive Mines

Houthi landmines that have been concealed as rocks. (Masam Project)
Houthi landmines that have been concealed as rocks. (Masam Project)

One of the oddest explosives discovered by the Saudi Masam Project in Yemen was a bean can that the Iran-backed Houthi militias had booby-trapped to form a landmine.

Ousama al-Gosaibi, the program manager for the Masam Project, told Asharq Al-Awsat that the Houthis had designed the explosive in a way that it would explode the moment someone approached it.

Al-Gosaibi is the first Arab and Saudi to earn a United Nations degree in demining. The Masam Project has been working on removing mines in war-torn Yemen since 2018. The teams have so far removed over 386,000 explosives that have been planted arbitrarily by the Houthis.

Nearly 85 percent of the mines that have been removed by Masam were locally made and designed to inflict the greatest harm possible to civilians, said al-Gosaibi.

Masam teams are waging a war against the Houthis mines, he added.

As of the first week of February, the teams have removed 386,282 Houthi mines and explosives.

The teams, he added, are not removing traditional mines that are internationally recognized, but devices that have been developed by the Houthis.

Furthermore, he clarified that Yemen has also had to deal with mines that were planted during the past six wars. Those were traditional mines, but the Houthis introduced locally produced ones.

The most common mines discovered by Masam are ones that are designed to appear as regular everyday objects, such as rocks, bean cans, pieces of metal, and even palm tree trunks.

The Houthis would plant the explosives in civilian areas, such as farms, streets, schools, fields and even water sources, al-Gosaibi said.

The militias have planted explosives in 18 Yemeni provinces and Masam is operating in eleven: Sanaa, al-Hodeidah, Aden, al-Bayda, al-Jawf, Lahj, Marib, Shabwa, Taiz, al-Dhale and Saada. They have so far cleared 44,122,922 square meters of territory.

Masam is cooperating with the Yemen Executive Mine Action Center (YEMAC) to save as many innocent lives as possible from the danger of mines and explosives in liberated regions, added al-Gosaibi.

The Yemenis have proven their professionalism and competence in mine removal and they will pave the way for the development of specialized and experienced cadres that can carry out this humanitarian work in the future, he remarked.

Masam boasts 525 employees on the ground, including 32 teams operating in liberated regions. They have trained 450 Yemenis and are overseeing their work, revealed al-Gosaibi.

One of the main challenges facing Masam is the fact that the Houthis have planted mines arbitrarily, leaving no maps to indicate their locations, he explained.

Masam has had to rely on field sweeps and information collected on the ground, such as from citizens and unfortunately, when explosives are set off, which is a nearly daily occurrence.

Compounding the challenges are Yemen’s treacherous terrain and the Houthis’ ongoing planting of mines. In fact, some areas that have been cleared by Masam have again been planted with the explosives because the military operations have not stopped, al-Gosaibi lamented.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.