Türkiye Issues Earthquake Rebuilding Rules after Millions Left Homeless

A man walks past collapsed buildings in the aftermath of powerful earthquakes in Hatay, Türkiye, 23 February 2023. (EPA)
A man walks past collapsed buildings in the aftermath of powerful earthquakes in Hatay, Türkiye, 23 February 2023. (EPA)
TT

Türkiye Issues Earthquake Rebuilding Rules after Millions Left Homeless

A man walks past collapsed buildings in the aftermath of powerful earthquakes in Hatay, Türkiye, 23 February 2023. (EPA)
A man walks past collapsed buildings in the aftermath of powerful earthquakes in Hatay, Türkiye, 23 February 2023. (EPA)

Türkiye issued rebuilding regulations on Friday for a region devastated by earthquakes this month to enable companies or charities to help in the urgent task of building new homes for the millions who need rehousing after the devastating tremors.

More than 160,000 buildings, containing 520,000 apartments, collapsed or were severely damaged in Türkiye in the earthquakes.

The Turkish death toll from the tremors now stands at more than 43,500 people, while the toll in neighboring Syria, a nation already shattered by war, is close to 6,000.

Turkish Recep President Tayyip Erdogan has pledged to rebuild homes within a year, although experts have said the authorities should put safety before speed. Some buildings that were meant to withstand tremors crumbled in the latest earthquakes.

Many survivors have left the region of southern Türkiye that was hit or have been settled in tents, container homes and other government-sponsored accommodation.

Under the new regulations, individuals, institutions and organizations will be able to build residences and workplaces that they can donate to the urbanization ministry and those properties will then be handed to those in need, according to a presidential decree published in the Official Gazette.

Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag told CNNTurk that 171 people had been arrested and 77 more faced detention as part of an investigation into collapsed buildings in the earthquake area, related to violations of building codes.

"Everyone involved will be held accountable in front of courts. Everyone will be punished according to their responsibility," Bozdag said.

He said legal changes could be needed for crimes regarding construction permits and said the authorities should discuss tougher punishments and deterrents for violating zoning rules, which dictate where and how buildings can be more safely built.

In Antakya, Saeed Sleiman Ertoglu, 56, loaded up what remained of his stock from his waterpipe shop that was not damaged in the two massive earthquakes on Feb. 6 followed by another strong quake two weeks later.

"The glassware was very beautiful, more than usual, but then we had this (earthquake), and it all got ruined," he said, after his home and shop survived the first tremors but not the later one. He estimated that 5% of his merchandise survived.

"What can we do? This is an act of God, and God’s will always bears gifts," he said.



More than 1,000 Arrested Following UK Riots

An anti-immigration protester is detained by police officers, in Newcastle, Britain August 10, 2024. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse
An anti-immigration protester is detained by police officers, in Newcastle, Britain August 10, 2024. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse
TT

More than 1,000 Arrested Following UK Riots

An anti-immigration protester is detained by police officers, in Newcastle, Britain August 10, 2024. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse
An anti-immigration protester is detained by police officers, in Newcastle, Britain August 10, 2024. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse

British authorities have now arrested more than 1,000 people following days of rioting involving violence, arson and looting as well as racist attacks targeting Muslims and migrants, a national policing body said on Tuesday.
The riots, which followed the killings of three young girls in the northern English town of Southport, began after the July 29 attack was wrongly blamed on a migrant based on online misinformation.
Violence broke out in cities across England and also in Northern Ireland, but there have been fewer instances of unrest since last week after efforts to identify those involved were ramped up, Reuters said.
Many have been swiftly jailed, with some receiving long sentences
The National Police Chiefs' Council said in its latest update that 1,024 had been arrested and 575 charged across the UK.
Those arrested include a 69-year-old accused of vandalism in Liverpool.
A 13-year-old girl pleaded guilty to violent disorder at Basingstoke Magistrates' Court, prosecutors said, having been seen on July 31 punching and kicking the entrance to a hotel for asylum seekers.
"This alarming incident will have caused genuine fear amongst people who were being targeted by these thugs – and it is particularly distressing to learn that such a young girl participated in this violent disorder," prosecutor Thomas Power said.
The last time Britain witnessed widespread rioting was in 2011, when the fatal shooting of a Black man by police triggered several days of street violence.
Fast and tough judicial action was viewed as helping quell the unrest in 2011, when around 4,000 people were arrested over several weeks.