Türkiye Starts Work to Build Homes in 2 Earthquake-Hit Towns

18 February 2023, Türkiye, Kahramanmaras: A man walks past a building that was destroyed by the deadly earthquake that struck the Turkish provinces of Hatay and Kahramanmaras. (dpa)
18 February 2023, Türkiye, Kahramanmaras: A man walks past a building that was destroyed by the deadly earthquake that struck the Turkish provinces of Hatay and Kahramanmaras. (dpa)
TT

Türkiye Starts Work to Build Homes in 2 Earthquake-Hit Towns

18 February 2023, Türkiye, Kahramanmaras: A man walks past a building that was destroyed by the deadly earthquake that struck the Turkish provinces of Hatay and Kahramanmaras. (dpa)
18 February 2023, Türkiye, Kahramanmaras: A man walks past a building that was destroyed by the deadly earthquake that struck the Turkish provinces of Hatay and Kahramanmaras. (dpa)

Turkish authorities on Friday said preliminary work has started to build housing for people left homeless by the massive earthquake that hit parts of the country and neighboring Syria, killing tens of thousands.

Murat Kurum, the minister for the environment, urbanization and climate change, said on Twitter that excavations were taking place in the towns of Nurdagi and Islahiye in Gaziantep province, where the government plans to build an initial 855 homes.

The work comes less than three weeks after the magnitude 7.8 quake struck, killing more than 47,000 people in Türkiye and Syria — the vast majority in Türkiye.

Turkish authorities say some 173,000 buildings, containing around 534,000 apartments or other units, either collapsed or were severely damaged in the Feb. 6 quake and other strong tremors likely linked to it.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who faces tough elections in either May or June, has promised to reconstruct homes within the year, although critics have warned that moving too fast could just lead to the erection of more sub-standard homes.

Opposition parties have also held Erdogan’s government — in power for the past two decades — responsible for the extent of the disaster, accusing it of failing to enforce building regulations.

Experts say many of the toppled structures were built with inferior materials and methods, and often did not comply with government standards.

On Friday, the United Nations Children’s Fund said more than a million people were staying in temporary accommodation, including gyms, stadiums, hotel and dormitories, with limited access to essential services.

“The children and families who survived the earthquake now face homelessness, lack of food and water, and temperatures that regularly drop below freezing at night,” said Afshan Khan, UNICEF’s regional director for Europe and Central Asia.

Kurum, the urbanization minister, posted a video of excavators clearing terrain.

“All our effort is (geared toward) bringing homes to our citizens as soon as possible,” he wrote. “We immediately got to work in areas where we have signed contracts and completed ground survey work.”

Earlier on Friday, Erdogan issued a decree which among other things enables individuals, companies or organizations to build homes or offices and donate them to Kurum’s ministry which would then give them to people who lost homes or businesses.

Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said late Thursday that 583 contractors or other people suspected of responsibility over buildings that have collapsed were being investigated and 171 have been arrested.



More than 1,000 Arrested Following UK Riots

An anti-immigration protester is detained by police officers, in Newcastle, Britain August 10, 2024. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse
An anti-immigration protester is detained by police officers, in Newcastle, Britain August 10, 2024. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse
TT

More than 1,000 Arrested Following UK Riots

An anti-immigration protester is detained by police officers, in Newcastle, Britain August 10, 2024. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse
An anti-immigration protester is detained by police officers, in Newcastle, Britain August 10, 2024. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse

British authorities have now arrested more than 1,000 people following days of rioting involving violence, arson and looting as well as racist attacks targeting Muslims and migrants, a national policing body said on Tuesday.
The riots, which followed the killings of three young girls in the northern English town of Southport, began after the July 29 attack was wrongly blamed on a migrant based on online misinformation.
Violence broke out in cities across England and also in Northern Ireland, but there have been fewer instances of unrest since last week after efforts to identify those involved were ramped up, Reuters said.
Many have been swiftly jailed, with some receiving long sentences
The National Police Chiefs' Council said in its latest update that 1,024 had been arrested and 575 charged across the UK.
Those arrested include a 69-year-old accused of vandalism in Liverpool.
A 13-year-old girl pleaded guilty to violent disorder at Basingstoke Magistrates' Court, prosecutors said, having been seen on July 31 punching and kicking the entrance to a hotel for asylum seekers.
"This alarming incident will have caused genuine fear amongst people who were being targeted by these thugs – and it is particularly distressing to learn that such a young girl participated in this violent disorder," prosecutor Thomas Power said.
The last time Britain witnessed widespread rioting was in 2011, when the fatal shooting of a Black man by police triggered several days of street violence.
Fast and tough judicial action was viewed as helping quell the unrest in 2011, when around 4,000 people were arrested over several weeks.