Liverpool’s 7-0 Dream Win Is Man United’s Worst Nightmare

Liverpool's Egyptian striker Mohamed Salah (center right) celebrates with teammates after scoring their fourth goal during the English Premier League football match between Liverpool and Manchester United at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on March 5, 2023. (AFP)
Liverpool's Egyptian striker Mohamed Salah (center right) celebrates with teammates after scoring their fourth goal during the English Premier League football match between Liverpool and Manchester United at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on March 5, 2023. (AFP)
TT

Liverpool’s 7-0 Dream Win Is Man United’s Worst Nightmare

Liverpool's Egyptian striker Mohamed Salah (center right) celebrates with teammates after scoring their fourth goal during the English Premier League football match between Liverpool and Manchester United at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on March 5, 2023. (AFP)
Liverpool's Egyptian striker Mohamed Salah (center right) celebrates with teammates after scoring their fourth goal during the English Premier League football match between Liverpool and Manchester United at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on March 5, 2023. (AFP)

For Liverpool, it was the wildest of dreams.

For Manchester United, the worst nightmare in what has been such a promising first season in charge for manager Erik ten Hag.

Liverpool's 7-0 rout of United in the Premier League on Sunday has the potential to have a lasting impact on both teams’ ambitions this term.

It was United's worst competitive defeat in more than 90 years, having lost by the same scoreline on three previous occasions — the last time coming in 1931 against Wolverhampton.

The result also eclipsed Liverpool’s previous best victory against arguably its fiercest rival, which was a 7-1 win in 1895.

"A few months ago everyone thought it was a good moment to play Liverpool — you can’t say it publicly but everyone thought it — because they felt we were struggling a lot," manager Jurgen Klopp said. "But now it is less of a good moment, we look much more like ourselves. It is important that everyone knows we are here and we are still alive."

A landmark win could be the launchpad for a powerful finish to the campaign for Liverpool, a push for Champions League qualification and possibly more.

Ten Hag, meanwhile, must hope his players respond in the manner they did after humbling losses against Brentford and Manchester City this season, which sparked impressive undefeated runs.

A four-pronged trophy pursuit now looks highly unlikely, with third-place United 14 points adrift of league leader Arsenal. But after winning the League Cup last week, Ten Hag’s side remains in contention for the FA Cup and Europa League, in what still has the potential to be a triumphant campaign.

Not that the Dutchman was in the mood to look for the positives in the immediate aftermath of what was also his worst-ever defeat as a manager.

"That for me is unprofessional," he said. "I’m really disappointed and angry. We let our fans down. As a squad, as a team, you cannot allow this.

"You have to stick together and support each other and fight for each other. You have to defend. We didn’t do that and for me that is really unprofessional."

Ten Hag has endured his share of tough days in his first season in charge of the 20-time league champions.

United lost 4-0 to Brentford in only the second game of the campaign and was beaten 6-3 in his first Manchester derby.

"I know this team will reset and we have to bounce back and we have shown in the past we can," he said.

Klopp has had his own problems this term as his team has struggled to cope with the departure of Sadio Mane last summer.

Until recently, even a Champions League qualifying top-four finish looked in doubt, with Liverpool suffering bruising losses to Brentford, Brighton and Wolverhampton since the start of 2023.

This win, however, closes the gap to fourth-place Tottenham to three points with a game in hand.

It was also evidence of a growing understanding between Liverpool’s new-look attack as Cody Gakpo, Darwin Nunez and Mohamed Salah all scored twice, with Roberto Firmino adding the other.

"It was one of the best performances for a long, long time. Everybody saw how good the boys can be," Klopp said. "No one was doubting Darwin’s future impact. Cody plays in the most difficult area in the pitch against a man-marking side, which is super tricky. Mo is Mo."

With fourth place now in sight, Liverpool fans might yet dream of an unlikely comeback in the Champions League round-of-16 game against Real Madrid later this month.

While European champions Madrid lead 5-2 after the first leg at Anfield, this was the type of performance to make the Merseyside club believe anything is possible.

Klopp’s assessment of Sunday's game was concise: "Freak result, top performance."

Record-breaking Salah

Salah became Liverpool’s all-time leading scorer in the Premier League with 129 goals in 205 appearances.

The Egypt international surpassed Robbie Fowler’s Premier League tally with his second goal.

"It’s very special, I can’t lie. This record was in my mind since I came here," Salah told Sky Sports.

Salah earlier in the week became only the second Liverpool player after Ian Rush to score 20 goals for a sixth successive season.

Forest frustrates Everton

If Nottingham Forest is to avoid relegation this season, it will rely on the goals of Brennan Johnson, as well as its form at the City Ground.

The 21-year-old Johnson scored twice in Forest’s 2-2 draw with Everton to make it five goals in his last seven league games.

Meanwhile, Forest is unbeaten in its last nine matches at home in the league.

Demarai Gray and Abdoulaye Doucoure had twice put Everton in front, but Johnson responded to both goals to keep Forest four points clear of the relegation zone.

"At the moment, he is performing really well and getting numbers," Forest manager Steve Cooper said. "But, as always, it’s about continuing to improve. I know how committed he is and how much he wants to get better.

"There’s always a level to get to and a long way to go, which is natural for his age in his first year in the Premier League."

Everton missed out on the chance to move out of the bottom three.

"We have to keep getting points on the board, but you have to have a method to what you are doing and there are very pleasing signs to what the players are delivering and how they are taking these games on," Everton manager Sean Dyche said. "We need points of course, but there has to be a plan, a method and reason of getting them."



Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.


Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.