Tehran Announces Prisoner Swap Deal, Washington Denies

Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi meets with Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Ali Bagheri in Muscat on Sunday (Omaniya)
Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi meets with Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Ali Bagheri in Muscat on Sunday (Omaniya)
TT

Tehran Announces Prisoner Swap Deal, Washington Denies

Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi meets with Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Ali Bagheri in Muscat on Sunday (Omaniya)
Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi meets with Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Ali Bagheri in Muscat on Sunday (Omaniya)

The 9th session of the Strategic Consultation Committee between the Sultanate of Oman and Iran was held in Muscat on Sunday in light of reports saying Tehran is exerting efforts to activate contacts with Washington for the return of indirect negotiations on the nuclear file.

Also on Sunday, Iran announced it has reached with the US an agreement to exchange prisoners, but Washington denied it as a "false" claim by Tehran.

The latest developments came two days after Saudi Arabia and Iran agreed to reestablish diplomatic relations and reopen embassies, at an initiative by Chinese President Xi Jinping.

Meanwhile in Muscat, Iranian sources said Sunday the Sultan of Oman, Haitham bin Tariq, will visit Tehran to hold talks regarding the stalled nuclear negotiations between Iran and the US.

This came while an Iranian delegation was in the Omani capital to attend the 9th session of the Strategic Consultation Committee between the Sultanate and Iran.

The Oman News Agency said the meeting focused on aspects of cooperation between the two countries in various fields, which contribute to strengthening bilateral relations and that the two sides exchanged views on a set of regional and global issues of common concern.

The Omani side was led by Sheikh Khalifa Ali Al Harthy, Undersecretary of the Foreign Ministry, while the Iranian side was led by Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Ali Bagheri.

Separately, Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad al Busaidi met Bagheri and the two officials tackled bilateral cooperation between the two countries stressing keenness to promote it at various levels.

Meanwhile in Tehran, Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian told state TV on Sunday that a prisoner swap was near with the US, but Washington immediately dismissed his comments as “false.”

"We have reached an agreement in recent days regarding the exchange of prisoners between Iran and the United States," Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian told state broadcaster IRINN.

The deal had been "signed and approved indirectly" last year, he added in a televised interview, saying the "American side is making its last technical arrangements" ahead of implementation.

"In our opinion, everything is ready," the minister said.

"If everything goes well on the American side, I think we will witness the exchange of prisoners in the short term."

At the White House, an official denied Amirabdollahian's statement about the prisoner swap, adding that the United States was committed to secure the release of Americans held in Iran.

“Claims by Iranian officials that we have reached a deal for the release of the US citizens wrongfully held by Iran are false," a spokesperson for the White House National Security Council said, according to Reuters.

One of several Americans held in Iran is Siamak Namazi, a businessman with dual US-Iranian citizenship, who was sentenced in 2016 to 10 years in prison for spying and cooperating with the US government.

In recent days, Namazi was allowed to conduct an interview with CNN from Tehran’s notorious Evin prison, beseeching President Joe Biden to secure his release and that of two other US nationals.

The prisoners also include Emad Sharghi, an Iranian-American businessman who was first arrested in 2018 when he was working for a tech investment company. Also, Iranian-American environmentalist Morad Tahbaz, is held in Iranian prisons. He also holds British citizenship.

In August, the Iranian judiciary said the US has arrested tens of innocent Iranians under the pretext of circumventing its cruel and inhumane sanctions.

For years, Tehran has sought the release of over a dozen Iranians in the United States, including seven Iranian-American dual nationals, two Iranians with permanent US residency and four Iranian citizens with no legal status in the United States.

Last week, Iranian news outlets said Tehran reached a prisoner swap deal with Washington to free Iranian nationals detained in America and release up to $7 billion in Iranian funds, held in South Korean banks, that are frozen due to US terrorism sanctions. The sources said that two States are taking part in the indirect negotiations between Tehran and Washington to secure the release of prisoners.

Meanwhile, Ali Alizadeh, the secretary of the National Security and Foreign Policy Committee at Iran's parliament quoted Amirabdollahian as saying that Sultan Haitham bin Tariq will pay an official visit to Tehran in the coming days, the Iranian Hamshahri newspaper reported on its website Sunday.

The Iranian newspaper added that during the Sultan’s visit, Iranian officials will be anticipating “good news,” referring to the Omani mediation to revitalize indirect negotiations between Washington and Tehran aimed at restoring the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.



US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."


Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
TT

Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)

A fire broke out in Iran's Parand near the capital city Tehran, state media reported on Wednesday, publishing videos of smoke rising over the area which is close to several military and strategic sites in the country's Tehran province, Reuters reported.

"The black smoke seen near the city of Parand is the result of a fire in the reeds around the Parand river bank... fire fighters are on site and the fire extinguishing operation is underway", state media cited the Parand fire department as saying.


Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
TT

Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo

Before Pakistan commits to sending troops to Gaza as part of the International Stabilization Force it wants assurances from the United States that it will be a peacekeeping mission rather than tasked with disarming Hamas, three sources told Reuters.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is set to attend the first formal meeting of President Donald Trump's Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, alongside delegations from at least 20 countries.

Trump, who will chair the meeting, is expected to announce a multi-billion dollar reconstruction plan for Gaza and detail plans for a UN-authorized stabilization force for the Palestinian enclave.

Three government sources said during the Washington visit Sharif wanted to better understand the goal of the ISF, what authority they were operating under and what the chain of command was before making a decision on deploying troops.

"We are ready to send troops. Let me make it clear that our troops could only be part of a peace mission in Gaza," said one of the sources, a close aide of Sharif.

"We will not be part of any other role, such as disarming Hamas. It is out of the question," he said.

Analysts say Pakistan would be an asset to the multinational force, with its experienced military that has gone to war with arch-rival India and tackled insurgencies.

"We can send initially a couple of thousand troops anytime, but we need to know what role they are going to play," the source added.

Two of the sources said it was likely Sharif, who has met Trump earlier this year in Davos and late last year at the White House, would either have an audience with him on the sidelines of the meeting or the following day at the White House.

Initially designed to cement Gaza's ceasefire, Trump sees the Board of Peace, launched in late January, taking a wider role in resolving global conflicts. Some countries have reacted cautiously, fearing it could become a rival to the United Nations.

While Pakistan has supported the establishment of the board, it has voiced concerns against the mission to demilitarize Gaza's militant group Hamas.