Tehran Announces Prisoner Swap Deal, Washington Denies

Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi meets with Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Ali Bagheri in Muscat on Sunday (Omaniya)
Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi meets with Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Ali Bagheri in Muscat on Sunday (Omaniya)
TT

Tehran Announces Prisoner Swap Deal, Washington Denies

Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi meets with Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Ali Bagheri in Muscat on Sunday (Omaniya)
Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi meets with Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Ali Bagheri in Muscat on Sunday (Omaniya)

The 9th session of the Strategic Consultation Committee between the Sultanate of Oman and Iran was held in Muscat on Sunday in light of reports saying Tehran is exerting efforts to activate contacts with Washington for the return of indirect negotiations on the nuclear file.

Also on Sunday, Iran announced it has reached with the US an agreement to exchange prisoners, but Washington denied it as a "false" claim by Tehran.

The latest developments came two days after Saudi Arabia and Iran agreed to reestablish diplomatic relations and reopen embassies, at an initiative by Chinese President Xi Jinping.

Meanwhile in Muscat, Iranian sources said Sunday the Sultan of Oman, Haitham bin Tariq, will visit Tehran to hold talks regarding the stalled nuclear negotiations between Iran and the US.

This came while an Iranian delegation was in the Omani capital to attend the 9th session of the Strategic Consultation Committee between the Sultanate and Iran.

The Oman News Agency said the meeting focused on aspects of cooperation between the two countries in various fields, which contribute to strengthening bilateral relations and that the two sides exchanged views on a set of regional and global issues of common concern.

The Omani side was led by Sheikh Khalifa Ali Al Harthy, Undersecretary of the Foreign Ministry, while the Iranian side was led by Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Ali Bagheri.

Separately, Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad al Busaidi met Bagheri and the two officials tackled bilateral cooperation between the two countries stressing keenness to promote it at various levels.

Meanwhile in Tehran, Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian told state TV on Sunday that a prisoner swap was near with the US, but Washington immediately dismissed his comments as “false.”

"We have reached an agreement in recent days regarding the exchange of prisoners between Iran and the United States," Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian told state broadcaster IRINN.

The deal had been "signed and approved indirectly" last year, he added in a televised interview, saying the "American side is making its last technical arrangements" ahead of implementation.

"In our opinion, everything is ready," the minister said.

"If everything goes well on the American side, I think we will witness the exchange of prisoners in the short term."

At the White House, an official denied Amirabdollahian's statement about the prisoner swap, adding that the United States was committed to secure the release of Americans held in Iran.

“Claims by Iranian officials that we have reached a deal for the release of the US citizens wrongfully held by Iran are false," a spokesperson for the White House National Security Council said, according to Reuters.

One of several Americans held in Iran is Siamak Namazi, a businessman with dual US-Iranian citizenship, who was sentenced in 2016 to 10 years in prison for spying and cooperating with the US government.

In recent days, Namazi was allowed to conduct an interview with CNN from Tehran’s notorious Evin prison, beseeching President Joe Biden to secure his release and that of two other US nationals.

The prisoners also include Emad Sharghi, an Iranian-American businessman who was first arrested in 2018 when he was working for a tech investment company. Also, Iranian-American environmentalist Morad Tahbaz, is held in Iranian prisons. He also holds British citizenship.

In August, the Iranian judiciary said the US has arrested tens of innocent Iranians under the pretext of circumventing its cruel and inhumane sanctions.

For years, Tehran has sought the release of over a dozen Iranians in the United States, including seven Iranian-American dual nationals, two Iranians with permanent US residency and four Iranian citizens with no legal status in the United States.

Last week, Iranian news outlets said Tehran reached a prisoner swap deal with Washington to free Iranian nationals detained in America and release up to $7 billion in Iranian funds, held in South Korean banks, that are frozen due to US terrorism sanctions. The sources said that two States are taking part in the indirect negotiations between Tehran and Washington to secure the release of prisoners.

Meanwhile, Ali Alizadeh, the secretary of the National Security and Foreign Policy Committee at Iran's parliament quoted Amirabdollahian as saying that Sultan Haitham bin Tariq will pay an official visit to Tehran in the coming days, the Iranian Hamshahri newspaper reported on its website Sunday.

The Iranian newspaper added that during the Sultan’s visit, Iranian officials will be anticipating “good news,” referring to the Omani mediation to revitalize indirect negotiations between Washington and Tehran aimed at restoring the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.



Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
TT

Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

Türkiye said on Thursday it opposed Greece's "unilateral activities" in energy fields south of Crete with a consortium led by US major Chevron as a violation of international law and good neighbourly relations.

Athens responded that its policies abide international law.

The Chevron-led consortium signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding US presence in the eastern Mediterranean.

"We oppose this unlawful activity, which is being attempted in violation of the 2019 Memorandum of Understanding on Maritime Jurisdiction between Libya and our country," the Turkish Defense Ministry said at a press briefing.

It said the activity, while not directly impacting Türkiye's continental shelf, also violated Libya's maritime jurisdiction that was declared to the United Nations in May last year.

"We continue to provide the necessary support to the Libyan authorities to take action against these unilateral and unlawful activities by Greece," the ministry said.

A 2019 agreement signed by Türkiye and Libya set out maritime boundaries in the Mediterranean Sea. It was rejected by Greece as it ignored the presence of the Greek island of Crete between the coasts of Türkiye and Libya. The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major, as the European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks to replace them.

Asked about the Turkish objections later on Thursday, Greek government spokesman Pavlos Marinakis told a press briefing that Athens followed an "active policy" and "exercises its rights in accordance with international law and respects international law steadfastly - and I think no one questions that, period."

There was no immediate comment from Chevron.

Neighbors and NATO members Türkiye and Greece have been at odds over a range of issues for decades, primarily maritime boundaries and rights in the Aegean, an area widely believed to hold energy resources and with key implications for airspace and military activity.

A 2023 declaration on friendly relations prompted a thaw between the sides and leaders have voiced a desire to address remaining issues.


Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
TT

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)

UK police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The Thames Valley Police, an agency that covers areas west of London, including Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, said it was “assessing” reports that the former Prince Andrew sent trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010. The assessment followed the release of millions of pages of documents connected to a US investigation of Epstein.

The police force did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is normal under UK law. But when asked if he had been arrested, the force pointed to a statement saying that they had arrested a man in his 60s. Mountbatten-Windsor is 66.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,’’ the statement said. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence."

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” the statement added.

Pictures circulated online appearing to show unmarked police cars at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plainclothes officers appearing to gather outside the home of Mountbatten-Windsor.


Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Georgia has ‌detained two people who attempted to purchase $3 million worth of uranium and a cache of a radioactive isotope found in nuclear weapons testing programs, the national security service said on Thursday.

Two foreign nationals from unspecified countries were arrested in the city of Kutaisi, the State Security Service said in a statement.

"They were planning to ‌illegally purchase ‌nuclear material uranium and radioactive ‌substance ⁠Cesium 137 for $3 ⁠million and illegally transport it to the territory of another country," Reuters quoted it as saying.

It said other foreigners had been arriving in Georgia in recent weeks with the aim of purchasing and transporting the nuclear and ⁠radioactive materials, without elaborating further.

The ‌statement did ‌not specify the quantity of materials the individuals were ‌attempting to procure. There were ‌no details on the substances' origin or potential destination.

Cesium 137 is a radioactive isotope present primarily in the aftermath of nuclear weapons testing ‌and nuclear power plant accidents such as the Chernobyl disaster in ⁠then-Soviet ⁠Ukraine in 1986.

The security of nuclear materials was one of the biggest concerns after the 1991 fall of the Soviet Union, of which Georgia was part. There have been several serious incidents involving the illicit trade in nuclear materials in Georgia over recent decades.

Most recently, three Chinese citizens were arrested in the capital Tbilisi for attempting to purchase two kilograms of "nuclear material" uranium.