Türkiye to Continue Normalization Talks with Assad Regime within Days

Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar visits Land Forces Operation Center in Ankara, Türkiye, November 21, 2022. (Defense Ministry/Handout via Reuters)
Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar visits Land Forces Operation Center in Ankara, Türkiye, November 21, 2022. (Defense Ministry/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Türkiye to Continue Normalization Talks with Assad Regime within Days

Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar visits Land Forces Operation Center in Ankara, Türkiye, November 21, 2022. (Defense Ministry/Handout via Reuters)
Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar visits Land Forces Operation Center in Ankara, Türkiye, November 21, 2022. (Defense Ministry/Handout via Reuters)

Türkiye confirmed its intention to continue the normalization talks with the Syrian regime in the coming period, expressing its hope that Damascus would understand its concerns about the presence of the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) near its borders.

Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar asserted that Ankara will continue the talks with Damascus after the upcoming technical meetings are held in Moscow between the deputy foreign ministers of Türkiye, Russia, Syria and Iran.

In a press interview, Akar added that Ankara is waiting for Damascus to understand its position on the YPG, the military backbone of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), on Syrian territory.

Türkiye is not an occupier of Syrian lands, stressed the minister, adding that its presence aimed to combat terrorism and protect its borders and territorial integrity.

Last week, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu revealed during a joint press conference with his Iranian counterpart, Hossein Amir-Abdollahian, a Russian proposal to hold a meeting between the four countries in Ankara at the technical level in preparation for a possible meeting between their foreign ministers.

Several meetings were held between the Turkish and Syrian intelligence officials, mediated by Russia, which developed into a meeting at the level of defense ministers and heads of intelligence services of the three countries, in Moscow on December 28.

The three foreign ministers were supposed to meet during the second half of January in preparation for a meeting at the level of presidents, as proposed by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

However, Damascus made conditions to continue the normalization talks. It stipulated the withdrawal of Turkish forces from northern Syria, Ankara's cessation of its support for the Syrian opposition, and the designation as terrorist the armed factions loyal to it under the Syrian National Army (SNA).

A meeting for the foreign ministers was scheduled for January, then postponed to early February, and then to the middle of the month. It was later delayed because of the earthquake that struck Türkiye and Syria on February 6.

Ankara stated there was a need to hold a second meeting of defense ministers before the meeting of foreign ministers, which was viewed as a slowdown in normalization efforts sponsored by Russia and amid reports of Iranian interference.

Akar said the YPG and the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) are two sides of the same coin, criticizing the visit of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, Mark Milley, to the SDF-held areas in northeastern Syria, under the pretext of inspecting US forces there.

He hoped that Türkiye’s allies and friends would understand the danger of the deployment of Kurdish units along its border and the danger they pose to its citizens.

Ankara says the US continues to support the YPG, dismissing a US statement that denied Milley had met with SDF and YPG commanders. The statement said he had only met with American forces.

Turkish Foreign Ministry sources said that regardless of whether this meeting took place, Washington's support of the terrorist organization is undeniable.

Last Monday, the Turkish Foreign Ministry summoned the US ambassador, Jeff Flake, to demand clarifications about the top US general's visit to northeast Syria.



Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.


Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.