Spain Court Dismisses Morocco Case Against Journalist

A general view during a partial lockdown amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Madrid, Spain, October 3, 2020. REUTERS/Javier Barbancho
A general view during a partial lockdown amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Madrid, Spain, October 3, 2020. REUTERS/Javier Barbancho
TT
20

Spain Court Dismisses Morocco Case Against Journalist

A general view during a partial lockdown amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Madrid, Spain, October 3, 2020. REUTERS/Javier Barbancho
A general view during a partial lockdown amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Madrid, Spain, October 3, 2020. REUTERS/Javier Barbancho

A Madrid court has dismissed a case brought by Morocco against a Spanish journalist who had accused Rabat of bugging his phone with Pegasus spyware.

The ruling, seen by AFP on Thursday, acquitted 68-year-old Ignacio Cembrero, dismissing Rabat's claim he had engaged in "an act of bragging" about being the victim of phone bugging.

A spokesperson for the law firm representing Rabat told AFP Morocco would appeal the ruling.

The lawsuit had its roots in an explosive 2021 investigation by Forbidden Stories, a consortium of 17 Western media outlets, which found that more than 50,000 people -- including activists, journalists, executives and politicians -- might have been spied on using software developed by Israeli firm NSO.

Since then, Cembrero has repeatedly stated, and even told the European Parliament, that Morocco was behind the bugging, while admitting he had no formal proof.

But Rabat has denied that it had bought the software.

In her ruling, dated March 10, judge Sonia Lence Munoz said, "The various statements by the defendant... were in response to the publication of a journalistic investigation by an international group -- Forbidden Stories -- about people who were spied on with Pegasus software."

Such remarks were "justified by the gravity of the facts which led not only to a criminal investigation.”



Iraq and Syria Open ‘New Chapter’ in Ties to Confront ‘Common Challenges’

Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani and Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani meet in Baghdad on March 14, 2025. (Iraq government media)
Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani and Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani meet in Baghdad on March 14, 2025. (Iraq government media)
TT
20

Iraq and Syria Open ‘New Chapter’ in Ties to Confront ‘Common Challenges’

Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani and Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani meet in Baghdad on March 14, 2025. (Iraq government media)
Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani and Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani meet in Baghdad on March 14, 2025. (Iraq government media)

Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani stressed on Tuesday his country’s support to Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, condemning the Israeli incursion into its land.

Sudani held telephone talks with Syrian interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa, the first between the two leaders since the latter assumed his post in January.

Sudani’s office said he underlined “Iraq’s firm stance in supporting the Syrian people’s choices and the importance that all of Syria’s segments join its political process.”

The process should “ensure peaceful coexistence and security to achieve a secure and stable future for Syria and the whole region,” he added.

He also emphasized the importance of “mutual cooperation in confronting the threat of ISIS,” as well as cooperation in economic fields.

Since the collapse of the Assad regime in Syria in December, Iraqi authorities have imposed strict measures along the border with Syria to bar the infiltration of gunmen and ISIS members.

The Syrian presidency said Sudani and Sharaa discussed bilateral relations between their countries and means to bolster them in various fields. They also underscored the “depth of relations between their people and economy.”

They stressed the importance of opening a new chapter in bilateral ties based on joint cooperation to confront regional challenges and prevent tensions in the region.

They discussed border security and cooperation in combating drug smuggling.

Sharaa said Syria is “committed to developing bilateral relations and respecting Iraq’s sovereignty.” He expressed “keenness on refraining in meddling in its internal affairs, stressing the need for cooperation to confront common challenges and consolidating political ties” between their countries.

Sudani also welcomed the formation of the new Syrian government, which was announced on Saturday.

Forces within Iraq’s ruling pro-Iran Coordination Framework were opposed to establishing relations with the new Syrian authorities, led by Sharaa, that ousted the Assad regime.

An Iraqi source said the talks between Sudani and Sharaa helped “break the ice and tensions after a series of positive measures taken by the Syrian authorities to ease Iraqi concerns.”

Baghdad has been wary of the new authorities and has been hesitant in approaching them due to security concerns and the fears of the possible re-emergence of the ISIS terrorist group in the region.

However, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani's visit to Baghdad in March where he met with Sudani helped break the ice.

During the visit, Baghdad urged the new Syrian rulers to “take into consideration Syria’s religious and ethnic diversity and to exert efforts in protecting religious freedoms and fighting terrorism,” revealed a source close to the Iraqi government.

The source told Asharq Al-Awsat that Sudani and Sharaa stressed during their call keenness on developing ties between their countries after Syria’s assurances that it would respect diversity and forge ahead with serious dialogue with various segments.

Prominent Sunni Iraqi politician Khamis al-Khanjar criticized the “voices that have been skeptical and opposed to rapprochement between Iraq and Syria.”

In a statement on Tuesday, he said Sudani and Sharaa’s telephone call should be praised, underlining his support for steps taken by the Iraqi government to be open to the Arab world and reclaim its sovereign voice.