Algeria, France Postpone Negotiations Over Gas

Algerian Minister of Energy and Mines Mohamed Arkab and the CEO of the French energy group (ENGIE), Catherine MacGregor (Ministry of Energy)
Algerian Minister of Energy and Mines Mohamed Arkab and the CEO of the French energy group (ENGIE), Catherine MacGregor (Ministry of Energy)
TT

Algeria, France Postpone Negotiations Over Gas

Algerian Minister of Energy and Mines Mohamed Arkab and the CEO of the French energy group (ENGIE), Catherine MacGregor (Ministry of Energy)
Algerian Minister of Energy and Mines Mohamed Arkab and the CEO of the French energy group (ENGIE), Catherine MacGregor (Ministry of Energy)

Algerian Minister of Energy and Mines Mohamed Arkab has met with the CEO of the French energy group (Engie), Catherine MacGregor, who visited Algiers on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The meeting addressed the current state of the international natural gas market and commercial opportunities and prospects for investment in exporting electricity and renewable energies, especially the development of hydrogen.

They also discussed the postponed negotiations on the supply of an additional share of gas to France. However, it was decided for the two countries’ presidents to discuss it during their talks in Paris in early May.

During the meeting, the two sides also reviewed the relations between Sonatrach and Engie in the natural gas field and ways and prospects for enhancing cooperation between the two companies, according to the Ministry of Energy.

Sources reported that MacGregor asked Algerian officials to revive the talks on the gas supply deal, suspended since last November.

Negotiations faltered after President Emmanuel Macron said in 2021 that Algeria did not exist as a nation before the French invasion in 1830.

The political relations between the two countries deteriorated, and Algeria suspended the deal after France reduced its visa quota. Paris refused to apologize for its colonial crimes.

According to the same sources, the Algerian government was still reluctant to negotiate the issue of gas supplies with France, and the matter was postponed to be addressed during the visit of President Abdelmadjid Tebboune to Paris.

Last year, Sonatrach and Engie reached an agreement for their contract to purchase and sell natural gas through Medgaz.

The two parties have agreed to define the contractual selling price applicable over three years, up to 2024, to take market conditions into account.

Over the past year, Sonatrach has worked to amend contracts with its Italian, Spanish, and Slovenian partners to raise Algerian gas prices to benefit from the record-high prices in the market in the context of the war in Ukraine.

Last October, French Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne noted that France does not depend heavily on natural gas but said Paris wants to develop joint projects in the sector with Algeria "to increase the efficiency of its gas production capacity, which will increase its export capacity to Europe."

Borne highlighted that Algerian gas represents nine percent of France's energy imports, and Paris hoped to continue developing its partnership with Algeria in this field, especially in liquefied natural gas (LNG).

Still, at the end of her visit, the Prime Minister could not obtain an Algerian pledge to revive negotiations on increasing energy supplies.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.