US Ambassador to Sudan Survives Car Crash

The US Ambassador to Sudan, John Godfrey, in front of the car involved in the crash (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The US Ambassador to Sudan, John Godfrey, in front of the car involved in the crash (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

US Ambassador to Sudan Survives Car Crash

The US Ambassador to Sudan, John Godfrey, in front of the car involved in the crash (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The US Ambassador to Sudan, John Godfrey, in front of the car involved in the crash (Asharq Al-Awsat)

The US Ambassador to Sudan, John Godfrey, has survived a traffic accident in the center of Khartoum.

Immediately upon discharge from the hospital, the Ambassador thanked "everyone for the many kind expressions of concern after the car accident" and the medical team that "took care of us after the accident."

Godfrey confirmed that none of the injuries were serious.

Last August, the State Department assigned the veteran diplomat as the first US ambassador to Sudan, ending a diplomatic estrangement that had been around for about 25 years.

The US listed Sudan as a state sponsor of terrorism in 1993 after accusing its government of harboring al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden and opening its territories to extremist groups worldwide.

Godfrey tweeted: "Thank you to everyone for the many kind expressions of concern after the car accident yesterday. Fortunately, no one from our team was badly hurt, and our understanding is that the driver of the other vehicle was not either."

Later, speculations circulated about the cause of the accident shortly before Iftar, when traffic accidents abound in Sudan.

There were rumors that the incident was orchestrated, claiming it was an attempt to eliminate the man's influence or at least send a message from supporters of the ousted regime and their allies.

The observers linked the recent statements of the Special Representative of the UN Sec-Gen Volker Perthes, who indicated he received death threats and a situation described as experiencing "phobia of the US ambassador" shared by supporters of the regime of ousted President Omar al-Bashir.

Godfrey, considered the most active Ambassador in Khartoum, participated in many social and cultural events aside from his political and diplomatic role within the international Quartet, consisting of the US, Saudi Arabia, Britain, and the UAE.

Aside from the Ambassador's many events, the US Embassy hosted an Iftar with artists, entrepreneurs, and community leaders.

"It was helpful to hear their insights about issues important to the Sudanese people and learn about the ways they contribute to the diverse social fabric of Sudan," said the embassy.

Earlier, the Ambassador and several embassy staff had Iftar at the house of the famous singer, Mayada Gamar Eldin.

"I was pleased to join the family of Mayada Gamar Eldin for my first Ramadan Iftar in Khartoum and appreciated seeing how fasting and prayer bring families and communities together," he said, adding that "I am grateful to Mayada's family for welcoming me and sharing famous Sudanese drinks and dishes and look forward to the opportunities to break the fast with more members of the community."

Also, the Ambassador and embassy staff contributed to a food drive to give staple food to the embassy's neighbors.

Godfrey's social activities began as soon as he assumed his position, and it became usual to see him in public. He showed interest in tea sellers and people from all over the country.

The embassy reported that the diplomat visited banana farms in Blue Nile state, saying it was a "reminder of the huge potential for increased agricultural production that the United States and Sudan can work together to realize when a new civilian-led government is formed."



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.