IRGC Retracts Statements Confirming Death of Leader Kidnapped in Lebanon in 1982

Portraits of the four Iranian diplomats who were kidnapped in Lebanon in 1982. (Reuters)
Portraits of the four Iranian diplomats who were kidnapped in Lebanon in 1982. (Reuters)
TT

IRGC Retracts Statements Confirming Death of Leader Kidnapped in Lebanon in 1982

Portraits of the four Iranian diplomats who were kidnapped in Lebanon in 1982. (Reuters)
Portraits of the four Iranian diplomats who were kidnapped in Lebanon in 1982. (Reuters)

The Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps retracted its confirmation of the killing of the military attaché, Ahmad Motevaselian, who disappeared in Beirut 41 years ago.

IRGC spokesman Ramezan Sharif said they still have no reliable information regarding the condition and fate of Motevaselian and his companions, who were kidnapped in northern Lebanon in 1982.

Last Saturday, the head of the IRGC, Hossein Salami, visited the Motevaselian family. After the visit, many news outlets published excerpts from the statement, saying it was an official confirmation of the commander's fate.

However, Sharif asserted on Monday that certain media misunderstood his remarks.

The spokesman pointed out that the case of the four Iranians kidnapped by the Lebanese Forces at the Barbara checkpoint on July 4, 1982, remains open and is being followed up legally.

Motevaselian was accompanied by Kazem Akhavan, a military affairs correspondent for the official news agency (IRNA), and Taghi Rastegar Moghaddam, IRGC training supervisor, and consul Mohsen Mosavi.

Sharif said Salami described Motevaselian as a "martyr with a trace," the term for missing soldiers.

The case of Motevaselian, the most prominent IRGC field commander during the early years of the Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s, is one of the open issues in relations between Iran and Lebanon.

Iranian authorities insist on naming the abducted "the four diplomats" without identifying the nature of Motevaselian's duties in Beirut during that period.

The Sabreen News channel, affiliated with the IRGC’s Quds Force, stated that several bodies were exchanged years ago with the Lebanese Forces, noting that Motevaselian's body was handed over to Iran. However, DNA tests did not match that of the missing commander.

Before Sharif's statement, the IRGC-affiliated Sobheno newspaper wrote in its editorial on Monday that Motevaselian's case was abandoned because of the mismanagement and incompetence of the diplomatic missions at the time. His death was confirmed 41 years after he went missing.

The newspaper saw that the confirmation of Motavasslian's death ended all speculation, rumors, and theories about his fate.

Sazandegi newspaper reported that slain commander of the Quds Force, Qassem Soleimani, had previously revealed that the four officials "were killed on the night of their kidnapping."

The newspaper also cited the account slain Elie Hobeika's bodyguard Robert Hatem, known as Cobra, who was then in charge of the Barbara checkpoint. Hatem said he pointed his gun at the head of one of the four Iranians and killed him after he got out of his car.

In 1999, Hatem wrote in his memoirs that the four diplomats were all shot dead and buried in the Karantina area in eastern Beirut, in the basements of the security building of the Lebanese Forces led by Hobeika.

Motevaselian was the commander of the 27th Brigade, one of IRGC's most prominent field units, which fought fierce battles against the Kurdish opposition before he was dispatched to Beirut to train Hezbollah forces during Lebanon’s 1975-90 civil war.



US Military Strikes Another Alleged Drug Boat in Eastern Pacific, Killing 3

A shot of a boat targeted by a US raid in the Caribbean (archive - Reuters)
A shot of a boat targeted by a US raid in the Caribbean (archive - Reuters)
TT

US Military Strikes Another Alleged Drug Boat in Eastern Pacific, Killing 3

A shot of a boat targeted by a US raid in the Caribbean (archive - Reuters)
A shot of a boat targeted by a US raid in the Caribbean (archive - Reuters)

The US military said Friday that it has carried out another deadly strike on a vessel accused of trafficking drugs in the Eastern Pacific Ocean.

US Southern Command said on social media that the boat “was transiting along known narco-trafficking routes in the Eastern Pacific and was engaged in narco-trafficking operations.” It said the strike killed three people. A video linked to the post shows a boat floating in the water before bursting into flames.

Friday’s attack raises the death toll from the Trump administration’s strikes on alleged drug boats to at least 148 people in at least 43 attacks carried out since early September in the Caribbean Sea and eastern Pacific Ocean.

President Donald Trump has said the US is in “armed conflict” with cartels in Latin America and has justified the attacks as a necessary escalation to stem the flow of drugs. But his administration has offered little evidence to support its claims of killing “narcoterrorists.”

Critics have questioned the overall legality of the strikes as well as their effectiveness, in part because the fentanyl behind many fatal overdoses is typically trafficked to the US over land from Mexico.


Afghanistan Quake Causes No ‘Serious’ Damage, Injuries, Says Official

Afghan men prepare meals during the holy fasting month of Ramadan in Kabul, Afghanistan, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Afghan men prepare meals during the holy fasting month of Ramadan in Kabul, Afghanistan, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Afghanistan Quake Causes No ‘Serious’ Damage, Injuries, Says Official

Afghan men prepare meals during the holy fasting month of Ramadan in Kabul, Afghanistan, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Afghan men prepare meals during the holy fasting month of Ramadan in Kabul, Afghanistan, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

A 5.8-magnitude earthquake that rocked eastern Afghanistan including the capital Kabul has resulted in only minor damage and one reported injury, a disaster official told AFP on Saturday.

The quake hit on Friday just as people in the Muslim-majority country were sitting down to break their Ramadan fast.

The epicenter was near several remote villages around 130 kilometers (80 miles) northeast of Kabul, the United States Geological Survey said.

"There aren't any serious casualties or damages after yesterday's earthquake," said Mohammad Yousuf Hamad, spokesman for the National Disaster Management Authority.

He added that one person had sustained "a minor injury in Takhar", in Afghanistan's north, "and three houses had minor damage in Laghman" province.

Zilgay Talabi, a resident of Khenj district near the epicenter, said the tremor was "very strong, it went on for almost 30 seconds".

Earthquakes are common in Afghanistan, particularly along the Hindu Kush mountain range, near where the Eurasian and Indian tectonic plates meet.

In August last year, a shallow 6.0-magnitude quake in the country's east wiped out mountainside villages and killed more than 2,200 people.

Weeks later, a 6.3-magnitude quake in northern Afghanistan killed 27 people.

Large tremors in western Herat, near the Iranian border, in 2023, and in Nangarhar province in 2022, killed hundreds and destroyed thousands of homes.

Many homes in the predominantly rural country, which has been devastated by decades of war, are shoddily built.

Poor communication networks and infrastructure in mountainous Afghanistan have hampered disaster responses in the past, preventing authorities from reaching far-flung villages for hours or even days before they could assess the extent of the damage.


Serbia Urges Citizens to Quit Iran ‘As Soon as Possible’

People walk past an anti-US billboard in Tehran, Iran, January 26, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
People walk past an anti-US billboard in Tehran, Iran, January 26, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
TT

Serbia Urges Citizens to Quit Iran ‘As Soon as Possible’

People walk past an anti-US billboard in Tehran, Iran, January 26, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
People walk past an anti-US billboard in Tehran, Iran, January 26, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters

Serbia has urged its citizens in Iran to leave the country "as soon as possible", after US President Donald Trump threatened military action over the country's nuclear program.

The Balkan nation had already invited Serbian nationals in mid-January to leave Iran and not to travel there, as the country's clerical authorities launched a bloody crackdown on a mass protest movement.

"Due to the deteriorating security situation, citizens of the Republic of Serbia are not recommended to travel to Iran in the coming period," the foreign ministry said in a statement on its website published overnight Friday to Saturday.

"All those who are in Iran are recommended to leave the country as soon as possible."

Iran said on Friday that it was hoping for a quick deal with the United States on Tehran's nuclear program, long a source of discord between the two foes.

But Trump, after ordering a major naval build-up in the Middle East aimed at heaping pressure on Tehran, said on Friday that he was "considering" a limited military strike if the negotiations proved unfruitful.