IRGC Retracts Statements Confirming Death of Leader Kidnapped in Lebanon in 1982

Portraits of the four Iranian diplomats who were kidnapped in Lebanon in 1982. (Reuters)
Portraits of the four Iranian diplomats who were kidnapped in Lebanon in 1982. (Reuters)
TT

IRGC Retracts Statements Confirming Death of Leader Kidnapped in Lebanon in 1982

Portraits of the four Iranian diplomats who were kidnapped in Lebanon in 1982. (Reuters)
Portraits of the four Iranian diplomats who were kidnapped in Lebanon in 1982. (Reuters)

The Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps retracted its confirmation of the killing of the military attaché, Ahmad Motevaselian, who disappeared in Beirut 41 years ago.

IRGC spokesman Ramezan Sharif said they still have no reliable information regarding the condition and fate of Motevaselian and his companions, who were kidnapped in northern Lebanon in 1982.

Last Saturday, the head of the IRGC, Hossein Salami, visited the Motevaselian family. After the visit, many news outlets published excerpts from the statement, saying it was an official confirmation of the commander's fate.

However, Sharif asserted on Monday that certain media misunderstood his remarks.

The spokesman pointed out that the case of the four Iranians kidnapped by the Lebanese Forces at the Barbara checkpoint on July 4, 1982, remains open and is being followed up legally.

Motevaselian was accompanied by Kazem Akhavan, a military affairs correspondent for the official news agency (IRNA), and Taghi Rastegar Moghaddam, IRGC training supervisor, and consul Mohsen Mosavi.

Sharif said Salami described Motevaselian as a "martyr with a trace," the term for missing soldiers.

The case of Motevaselian, the most prominent IRGC field commander during the early years of the Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s, is one of the open issues in relations between Iran and Lebanon.

Iranian authorities insist on naming the abducted "the four diplomats" without identifying the nature of Motevaselian's duties in Beirut during that period.

The Sabreen News channel, affiliated with the IRGC’s Quds Force, stated that several bodies were exchanged years ago with the Lebanese Forces, noting that Motevaselian's body was handed over to Iran. However, DNA tests did not match that of the missing commander.

Before Sharif's statement, the IRGC-affiliated Sobheno newspaper wrote in its editorial on Monday that Motevaselian's case was abandoned because of the mismanagement and incompetence of the diplomatic missions at the time. His death was confirmed 41 years after he went missing.

The newspaper saw that the confirmation of Motavasslian's death ended all speculation, rumors, and theories about his fate.

Sazandegi newspaper reported that slain commander of the Quds Force, Qassem Soleimani, had previously revealed that the four officials "were killed on the night of their kidnapping."

The newspaper also cited the account slain Elie Hobeika's bodyguard Robert Hatem, known as Cobra, who was then in charge of the Barbara checkpoint. Hatem said he pointed his gun at the head of one of the four Iranians and killed him after he got out of his car.

In 1999, Hatem wrote in his memoirs that the four diplomats were all shot dead and buried in the Karantina area in eastern Beirut, in the basements of the security building of the Lebanese Forces led by Hobeika.

Motevaselian was the commander of the 27th Brigade, one of IRGC's most prominent field units, which fought fierce battles against the Kurdish opposition before he was dispatched to Beirut to train Hezbollah forces during Lebanon’s 1975-90 civil war.



UK Foreign Minister to Meet Rubio amid Tensions over Joint Air Base

British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
TT

UK Foreign Minister to Meet Rubio amid Tensions over Joint Air Base

British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon

Britain's foreign minister Yvette Cooper ‌will meet with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Friday, after President Donald Trump renewed his criticism of London for ceding sovereignty of ​the Chagos Islands, which is home to a US-UK air base.
Last year, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer agreed a deal to transfer sovereignty of the Indian Ocean islands to Mauritius, while keeping control of one - Diego Garcia - through a 99-year lease that preserved US operations at the base, Reuters said.
Washington last year gave its blessing to the agreement, but Trump has since ‌changed his mind ‌several times. In January, Trump described it ​as ‌an ⁠act ​of "great stupidity", ⁠but earlier this month said he understood the deal was the best Starmer could make, before then renewing his criticism this week.
Cooper is meeting Rubio to discuss defense and security issues in Washington as Trump also toughens his rhetoric on Iran, saying Tehran must make a deal over its nuclear program in the ⁠next 10 to 15 days, or "really bad ‌things" will happen.
The Diego Garcia ‌base has recently been used for ​operations in the Middle East against ‌Yemen's Houthis and in humanitarian aid to Gaza.
Although on Tuesday ‌Rubio's State Department said it backed the Chagos accord, the next day Trump said Britain was making a big mistake.
"DO NOT GIVE AWAY DIEGO GARCIA!" Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social, saying the ‌base could be called upon in any future military operation to "eradicate a potential attack" from ⁠Iran.
Under the ⁠conditions for using the joint base, Britain would need to agree in advance to any operations out of Diego Garcia.
On Thursday, Britain's The Times newspaper reported that Trump's latest criticism of the Chagos deal came because Britain was yet to give permission to use the bases for future strikes against Iran, owing to concerns they may breach international law.
Asked about The Times report, Britain's Ministry of Defence said on Thursday it does not comment on operational matters and that Britain supported ​the ongoing political process between ​the US and Iran.


Turkish Police Detain Deutsche Welle Journalist over Social Media Posts

19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
TT

Turkish Police Detain Deutsche Welle Journalist over Social Media Posts

19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa

Turkish police have detained investigative journalist Alican Uludag on suspicion of insulting President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and spreading misinformation, sparking outrage among journalism groups.
Uludag, who works for German broadcaster Deutsche Welle’s Turkish service, was taken from his home in Ankara late Thursday as part of an investigation into social media posts. The Istanbul Chief Prosecutor’s Office said he is suspected of “insulting the president” and “disseminating misleading information.”
The journalist, whose reporting focuses mainly on the judiciary and on corruption cases, was later transferred to Istanbul for questioning.
His detention drew sharp condemnation from press freedom advocates, who described it as an attack on media independence and democratic norms, The Associated Press said.
Deutsche Welle’s director‑general, Barbara Massing, demanded his release, calling the arrest “a deliberate act of intimidation.”
On Friday, journalists gathered outside Istanbul’s Çaglayan Courthouse to protest Uludag’s detention and to call for his immediate release.
The advocacy group, Reporters Without Borders considers Türkiye to be one of the most repressive countries for journalists, nothing that most media organizations are under government control and journalists face frequent legal pressure or intimidation.
At least 14 journalists or media sector workers are currently in prison, according to the Turkish Journalists Syndicate.


South Korea’s Ex-President Yoon Apologizes After Life Sentence Over Martial Law 

South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol  delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)
South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)
TT

South Korea’s Ex-President Yoon Apologizes After Life Sentence Over Martial Law 

South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol  delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)
South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)

Former ‌South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol apologized on Friday for his short-lived declaration of martial law in December 2024, a day after a Seoul court sentenced him to life in prison for masterminding an insurrection.

In a statement released by his lawyers, Yoon said that while he was sorry for the "frustration and hardship" brought upon the people by his martial law decree, he stood behind the "sincerity and purpose" behind his actions.

The Seoul Central District Court's decision ‌to hand him ‌a life sentence on Thursday was "predetermined," he ‌said, ⁠adding that the verdict ⁠against him was political retaliation.

"Forces that seek to smear a decision made to save the nation as an 'insurrection' and to use it beyond political attacks as an opportunity to purge and eliminate their opponents will only grow more rampant going forward," he said.

Yoon also questioned ⁠whether an appeal would have meaning ‌in what he described as an ‌environment where judicial independence could not be guaranteed, while telling ‌supporters to "unite and rise."

His lawyers separately said the statement ‌did not amount to an intention to forgo an appeal.

Yoon's martial law declaration lasted around six hours before being voted down by parliament, but it sent shockwaves through the country and ‌sparked street protests.

The court found Yoon guilty of subverting constitutional order by deploying troops ⁠to storm ⁠parliament and move to detain opponents, capping a dramatic fall that saw him stripped of office and end up behind bars.

Yoon, a former career prosecutor, denied the charges, arguing he had presidential authority to declare martial law and his action was aimed at sounding the alarm over opposition parties' obstruction of government.

A special prosecutor had sought the death penalty for Yoon, though South Korea has not carried out an execution since 1997.

A prosecutor said on Thursday the team had some "regret" over the sentencing, but declined to say whether they planned to appeal.