Egypt, Cyprus Agree to Enhance Cooperation in Energy, Defense

Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides (EPA)
Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides (EPA)
TT

Egypt, Cyprus Agree to Enhance Cooperation in Energy, Defense

Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides (EPA)
Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides (EPA)

Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides affirmed his country's endeavor to strengthen relations with Egypt in energy, tourism, and defense.

Christodoulides announced Tuesday plans to visit Cairo soon to meet his Egyptian counterpart, Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, saying Egypt would be his second foreign trip after Greece.

Egypt, Greece, and Cyprus are in an expanded tripartite cooperation mechanism that includes the military and political fields and the coordination of interests in the eastern Mediterranean, which grew after natural gas discoveries in the East Mediterranean.

In an interview with al-Qahera News channel Tuesday, the Cypriot president said he looks forward to visiting Egypt to discuss several vital files related to bilateral relations between the two countries and ways to enhance them.

He affirmed that his country has a role in supporting European-Egyptian relations.

Christodoulides said that his upcoming meeting with Sisi would touch on regional and international issues, namely the East Mediterranean Gas Forum, which would allow for more rapprochement between Cairo and Nicosia.

The president added that he would come to Egypt with a comprehensive agenda on bilateral relations, energy files, and the East Mediterranean, noting that there are suitable energy reserves in the region, providing development opportunities.

The Eastern Mediterranean Gas Forum was established on an Egyptian initiative, which was put forward during the Crete summit, between the leaders of Egypt, Cyprus, and Greece, in October 2018.

The forum's charter entered into force in March 2021 with the membership of the founders: Cyprus, Egypt, Greece, Israel, Italy, and Jordan. Palestine and France joined it later, and the US entered as an observer. Representatives of the World Bank and the European Union also joined the forum.

The Cypriot president expressed his aspiration to establish the permanent secretariat of the tripartite mechanism that includes Egypt, Cyprus, and Greece.

Cyprus hosted the tripartite summit of the Tripartite Cooperation Mechanism three times, and since 2014, nine meetings have been held periodically.

Egypt, Cyprus, and Greece have exchanged visits on several political, economic, and military levels over the past years.

After a meeting of defense ministers last year, the three countries agreed to support cooperation in the defense and security fields to face challenges and support stability in East Mediterranean.

The Cypriot president praised the reform process in Egypt, appreciating efforts to restore Egypt's pioneering and pivotal role and the "unprecedented" reforms Sisi is carrying out for the benefit of the Egyptians.

Christodoulides was sworn in as President of Cyprus at the end of February after winning the presidential elections.

The Egyptian president called his Cypriot counterpart, congratulating him on winning the presidential elections.

He said in an official statement that the Egyptian-Cypriot friendship is based on shared values and mutual interests, relying on a rich and diverse legacy of human and civilization exchange.

The Egyptian president expressed his aspiration for the continued development and strengthening of the strategic partnership between the two countries in a way that serves the aspirations of the two peoples and contributes to achieving stability, security, development, and prosperity.



US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
TT

US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)

The United States announced sanctions on Thursday on three Sudanese Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commanders over their roles in the "horrific campaign" of the siege and capture of El-Fasher.

The US Treasury said the RSF carried out "ethnic killings, torture, starvation, and sexual violence" in the operation.

Earlier Thursday, the UN's independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said the siege and seizure of the city in Darfur bore "the hallmarks of genocide."

Its investigation concluded that the seizure last October had inflicted "three days of absolute horror," and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.

"The United States calls on the Rapid Support Forces to commit to a humanitarian ceasefire immediately," US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement.

"We will not tolerate this ongoing campaign of terror and senseless killing in Sudan."

The Treasury noted that the three sanctioned individuals were part of the RSF's 18-month siege of and eventual capture of El-Fasher.

They are RSF Brigadier General Elfateh Abdullah Idris Adam, Major General Gedo Hamdan Ahmed Mohamed and field commander Tijani Ibrahim Moussa Mohamed.

Bessent warned that Sudan's civil war risks further destabilizing the region, "creating conditions for terrorist groups to grow and threaten the safety and interests of the United States."

The UN probe into the takeover of El-Fasher -- after the 18-month siege -- concluded that thousands of people, particularly from the Zaghawa ethnic group, "were killed, raped or disappeared."


Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
TT

Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday there would be no reconstruction of war-shattered Gaza before the disarmament of Hamas, as the "Board of Peace" convened for its inaugural meeting in Washington.

Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials met for the first meeting of the board, which was set up after the United States, Qatar and Egypt negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in the Gaza Strip.

"We agreed with our ally the US there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said during a televised speech at a military ceremony on Thursday, AFP reported.

The meeting in Washington will also look at how to launch the International Stabilization Force (ISF) that will ensure security in Gaza.

One of the most sensitive issues before the board is the future of the Islamist movement Hamas, which fought the war with Israel and still exerts influence in the territory.

Disarmament of the group is a central Israeli demand and a key point in negotiations over the ceasefire's next stage.

US officials including Steve Witkoff, Trump's friend and roving negotiator, have insisted that solid progress is being made and that Hamas is feeling pressure to give up weapons.

Israel has suggested sweeping restrictions including seizing small personal rifles from Hamas.

It remains unclear whether, or how, the Palestinian technocratic committee formed to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza will address the issue of demilitarization.

The 15-member National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG) will operate under the supervision of the "Board of Peace", and its head, Ali Shaath, is attending the meeting in Washington on Thursday.


Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
TT

Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP

US President Donald Trump told the first meeting of his Board of Peace on Thursday that $7 billion has been contributed to a Gaza reconstruction fund that aims to rebuild the enclave once Hamas disarms, an objective that is far from becoming a reality.

The disarmament of Hamas militants and accompanying withdrawal of Israeli troops, the size of the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-battered populace of Gaza are among the major questions likely to test the effectiveness of the board in the weeks and months ahead.

In a flurry of announcements at the end of a long, winding speech, Trump said the United States will make a contribution of $10 billion to the Board of Peace. He said contributing nations had raised $7 billion as an initial down payment for Gaza reconstruction.

Trump first proposed the board last September when he announced his plan to end Israel's war in Gaza. He later made clear the board's remit would be expanded beyond Gaza to tackle other conflicts worldwide.

Trump also said FIFA will raise $75 million for soccer-related projects in Gaza and that the United Nations will chip in $2 billion for humanitarian assistance.

TRUMP SAYS ANY IRAN DEAL MUST BE MEANINGFUL, PROSPECTS SHOULD BE CLEAR IN 10 DAYS

The Board of Peace includes Israel but not Palestinian representatives and Trump's suggestion that the Board could eventually address challenges beyond Gaza has stirred anxiety that it could undermine the UN's role as the main platform for global diplomacy and conflict resolution.

"We're going to strengthen the United Nations," Trump said, trying to assuage his critics. "It's really very important."

The meeting came as Trump threatens war against Iran and has embarked on a massive military buildup in the region in case Tehran refuses to give up its nuclear program.

Trump said he should know in 10 days whether a deal is possible. "We have to have a meaningful deal," he said.

The event had the feel of a Trump campaign rally, with music blaring from his eclectic playlist from Elvis Presley to the Beach Boys. Red Trump hats were given to participants.

Senior US officials said Trump will also announce that several nations are planning to send thousands of troops to participate in an International Stabilization Force that will help keep the peace in Gaza when it eventually deploys.

Hamas, fearful of Israeli reprisals, has been reluctant to hand over weaponry as part of Trump's 20-point Gaza plan that brought about a fragile ceasefire last October in the two-year Gaza war.

Trump said he hoped use of force to disarm Hamas would not be necessary. He said Hamas had promised to disarm and it "looks like they're going to be doing that, but we'll have to find out."