Türkiye Renews Rejection of Preconditions for Normalizing Ties with Syria

A vegetable market in Idlib, northwestern Syria, on April 12 (AFP)
A vegetable market in Idlib, northwestern Syria, on April 12 (AFP)
TT

Türkiye Renews Rejection of Preconditions for Normalizing Ties with Syria

A vegetable market in Idlib, northwestern Syria, on April 12 (AFP)
A vegetable market in Idlib, northwestern Syria, on April 12 (AFP)

Türkiye renewed its rejection of any preconditions for normalizing its relations with Syria, including a demand to withdraw its forces from northern Syria.

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu stressed that his country would not accept any preconditions for direct talks with the Syrian government, including withdrawing its forces.

Cavusoglu said in a televised interview that his country would not accept the withdrawal of its forces while the Kurdish forces accused of "terrorism" remain in northeastern Syria.

He added that the Syrian regime demanded Türkiye to withdraw from Syrian territory. "We will not accept the condition of withdrawing from Syrian territory to negotiate," he said to the media, citing threats to his country in Syria.

Syria focuses on three main points: the need to end the Turkish presence on Syrian territory, non-interference in Syrian internal affairs, and combat terrorism in all its forms.

Türkiye confirms that its military presence in northern Syria is a guarantee to deter threats from the Kurdish militants and does not believe the Syrian regime can currently control the borders.

Cavusoglu said: "Further contacts with Syria are possible, but there is still work to be done. And we will not accept any preconditions."

He stressed the need to work with President Bashar Assad's regime to ensure the safe return of Syrian refugees to their country.

Damascus repeatedly announced that withdrawing Turkish forces from northern Syria is a condition for any negotiations to normalize relations or a meeting between the two countries' presidents.

Recent developments and the resumption of talks at the level of deputy foreign ministers of Türkiye, Syria, Russia, and Iran in Moscow earlier in April showed there is an agreement to maintain the talks and deal with the issues on its agenda.

Cavusoglu stated that Ankara "received information from the Russian side about the possibility of holding a meeting of the four countries' foreign ministers in early May" and was continuing contacts with Moscow on this issue.

Negotiations with Egypt

The Syrian issue was essential to the talks between Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry and Cavusoglu in Ankara.

Shoukry stressed, in a joint press conference, that Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity should be preserved, asserting that all foreign forces must withdraw from Syrian territory.

In turn, Cavusoglu reaffirmed Türkiye's longstanding position that its military presence was needed to fight "terrorism" and threats coming from Syrian territory.

"We must make sure that there is no threat to us from there," Cavusoglu said.

Bringing about permanent peace and stability in Syria is important to both Türkiye and Egypt, said Cavusoglu, adding that the two countries have agreed to work closely and exchange views.

Several Arab countries began accelerating rapprochement efforts with Damascus. Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal al-Miqdad visited Cairo and then Jeddah, in the first visits by a Syrian official at this level in more than ten years.

Türkiye is seeking to hold a meeting between its President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, with Russian and Iranian support.

However, Assad announced that the Turkish withdrawal from Syrian territory is a precondition for any meetings.

Turkish sources familiar with the matter revealed that Ankara is communicating with countries that have begun normalizing relations with Damascus.

Criticism of France

Cavusoglu criticized the French Senate for hosting the Syrian Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) members, the largest component of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).

Ankara considers the SDF an extension of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).

He said that the PKK is on the EU's list of terrorist organizations, adding that it is hypocritical when they call them terrorists and support them.

Cavusoglu commented on Türkiye's closure of its airspace with Sulaymaniyah, stressing that the city is under the control of the PKK and it uses the city's airport for its transportation.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.