Canada-led Group Denounces ‘Sham Trials’ of Iranian Troops in Ukraine Jet Downing

People grieve during a ceremony marking the three-year anniversary of the downing of flight PS752, in Toronto on Sunday, January 8, 2023. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christopher Katsarov
People grieve during a ceremony marking the three-year anniversary of the downing of flight PS752, in Toronto on Sunday, January 8, 2023. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christopher Katsarov
TT

Canada-led Group Denounces ‘Sham Trials’ of Iranian Troops in Ukraine Jet Downing

People grieve during a ceremony marking the three-year anniversary of the downing of flight PS752, in Toronto on Sunday, January 8, 2023. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christopher Katsarov
People grieve during a ceremony marking the three-year anniversary of the downing of flight PS752, in Toronto on Sunday, January 8, 2023. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christopher Katsarov

Iran's sentencing of 10 alleged perpetrators in the downing of a Ukrainian airliner was criticized Tuesday by Canada and other countries whose citizens were aboard the flight, saying the "sham trials" lacked impartiality and transparency.

The Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) shot down Ukraine International Airlines flight PS752 shortly after its takeoff from Tehran on January 8, 2020, killing all 176 people on board.

Most were Iranians and Canadians, including many dual nationals.

Tehran on Sunday sentenced 10 members of the armed forces, including a commander, to prison after finding them guilty of involvement in the plane's downing.

But in a joint statement, a coordination group representing Canada, Sweden, the UK, and Ukraine said the verdicts “must not distract the world from Iran's failure to meet its international obligations and take responsibility for its actions,” according to AFP.

“Neither the trials nor the verdicts announced this week brings truth or justice to the families of the victims, as the entire process - starting with Iran's biased investigation into the downing - lacked the necessary impartiality and transparency,” it added.

The statement noted that the families of the 176 victims were "still waiting for the justice they deserve".

"We continue to stand in solidarity with the families and loved ones of the victims of the downing of Flight PS752 and will not rest until justice has been served," it concluded.

Three days after the plane was shot down, Amirali Hajizadeh, the head of the Revolutionary Guards aerospace force, admitted his forces' responsibility for the incident.

The IRGC admitted there had been a “mistake” after mistaking the plane for an American cruise missile.

The incident occurred hours after launching ballistic missiles on Ain al-Asad air base in Iraq in retaliation for the killing of the commander of the al-Quds Force, Qassem Soleimani.

The Iranian judiciary's Mizan Online website reported Sunday that the commander received the heaviest penalty of 10 years in prison for having defied orders in shooting down the plane.

Nine other personnel were sentenced to between one and three years, it reported.

The commander of a Tor-M1 surface-to-air missile system "fired two missiles" at the airliner "contrary to orders" and without obtaining authorization, Mizan said.

It did not identify any of the accused.

“Given the extent of the effects and consequences of this action, the main defendant was sentenced to the maximum penalty,” Mizan Online added, without giving further details.

The Association of Families of Flight PS752 Victims released a statement saying the victims’ families “never recognized the Islamic Regime’s court as a legitimate tribunal.”

Victims' families rejected the verdicts as “meaningless and unacceptable”, adding that the tribunal prosecuted only low-ranking officers.



Poland ‘Very Disappointed’ After Israel Drops Probe into Killing of Polish Citizen

People stand at a site destroyed during the Israeli offensive, in Beit Lahiya, in the northern Gaza Strip, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
People stand at a site destroyed during the Israeli offensive, in Beit Lahiya, in the northern Gaza Strip, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Poland ‘Very Disappointed’ After Israel Drops Probe into Killing of Polish Citizen

People stand at a site destroyed during the Israeli offensive, in Beit Lahiya, in the northern Gaza Strip, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
People stand at a site destroyed during the Israeli offensive, in Beit Lahiya, in the northern Gaza Strip, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)

Poland's foreign ministry ‌said it was "very disappointed" and had summoned Israel's ambassador in Warsaw after Israel decided not to pursue criminal proceedings over an attack on a volunteer convoy in Gaza in 2024 in which a Polish citizen was killed.

Damian Sobol, a volunteer from Przemysl in southeastern Poland, was among seven people working for celebrity chef Jose Andres' World Central Kitchen who were killed in the airstrike in central Gaza in April 2024, ‌which caused ‌an international outcry.

"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs ‌of ⁠the Republic of ⁠Poland is very disappointed to receive the information provided on August 19, 2026, about the discontinuation of the proceedings," the ministry said in a statement late on Thursday.

It said the Israeli Ambassador in Warsaw had been summoned to the ministry.

"The Polish side provided ⁠a critical assessment of the actions taken ‌to date to clarify ‌the causes and course of the tragedy, informed that a ‌parallel investigation is being conducted by the District ‌Prosecutor's Office in Przemysl," it said.

It also "expressed its expectation that the Israeli side will provide the relevant Polish authorities with all necessary explanations and materials requested by Polish investigators."

Deputy Foreign ‌Minister Ignacy Niemczycki told public radio PR1 on Friday that "we consider this a ⁠surprising ⁠decision."

"We believe that the use of force must be proportionate, and that inappropriate use of force should have consequences, so we expect clarification on this matter," he said.

Australia also summoned Israel's ambassador in Canberra on Thursday after an Australian citizen was killed in the airstrike.

More than 73,000 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli attacks since the start of the Gaza war in 2023.

Israel's military says its attacks target Hamas fighters. It has said it opens investigations into some attacks involving civilian deaths.


Russia Is Ready for New Ideas on Ukraine Peace, but with Conditions, Senior Diplomat Says

Russia's Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov attends a press conference in Moscow, Russia November 26, 2025. (Reuters)
Russia's Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov attends a press conference in Moscow, Russia November 26, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Russia Is Ready for New Ideas on Ukraine Peace, but with Conditions, Senior Diplomat Says

Russia's Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov attends a press conference in Moscow, Russia November 26, 2025. (Reuters)
Russia's Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov attends a press conference in Moscow, Russia November 26, 2025. (Reuters)

Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said in an interview with media outlet News.ru published on Friday that the US demonstrated a readiness for "constructive dialogue" and an "understanding of Russia's position".

"At this stage, it is more important to what extent Washington is able to influence the decisions of the Kyiv regime and its European sponsors, who still dream of a 'strategic defeat' of ‌Russia," he ‌told the outlet.

Negotiations between Russia and the ‌US ⁠to bring about an end ⁠to the conflict in Ukraine have largely stalled amid the war in Iran.

The Kremlin said on Thursday that it had no information yet on a possible next visit to Moscow by US presidential envoys Jared Kushner and Steve Witkoff, who have led negotiations with Russia in the past.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said last month that Washington ⁠was committed to helping end the war, following ‌a meeting in Manila with Russian ‌Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.

But Rubio cautioned there was no quick deal ahead ‌and the US was trying to "find a middle ground".

Ryabkov said Russia ‌was ready to listen to Rubio's new ideas and continue dialogue with Washington.

"The Russian Federation is ready to listen to any reasonable proposals and ideas that are in line with the goals set by the Russian president ‌and meet the 'realities on the ground'," he said.

After almost 4-1/2 years of war, Russia holds around a ⁠fifth of Ukraine's ⁠internationally recognized territory. Moscow has repeatedly said it is open to talks, but that these must recognize the "new realities on the ground".

In the interview, Ryabkov also suggested Russia was keen to maintain discussions with the US on nuclear weapons. The New START nuclear treaty expired in February, leaving the world's two biggest nuclear-armed powers with no binding constraints on their strategic arsenals for the first time in more than half a century.

Moscow has said it will keep observing the treaty's missile and warhead limits as long as Washington does the same.

"We remain open in the future to find political and diplomatic ways to stabilize this area," Ryabkov said.


China, Indonesia Hold Talks on Security, Defense

Indonesian Foreign Minister Sugiono (R) welcomes Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi during the Comprehensive Strategic Dialogue meeting at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Jakarta on August 21, 2026. BAY ISMOYO / AFP
Indonesian Foreign Minister Sugiono (R) welcomes Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi during the Comprehensive Strategic Dialogue meeting at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Jakarta on August 21, 2026. BAY ISMOYO / AFP
TT

China, Indonesia Hold Talks on Security, Defense

Indonesian Foreign Minister Sugiono (R) welcomes Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi during the Comprehensive Strategic Dialogue meeting at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Jakarta on August 21, 2026. BAY ISMOYO / AFP
Indonesian Foreign Minister Sugiono (R) welcomes Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi during the Comprehensive Strategic Dialogue meeting at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Jakarta on August 21, 2026. BAY ISMOYO / AFP

China's foreign and defense ministers were in Jakarta Friday for talks with their Indonesian counterparts to seek greater political and military cooperation days after a joint navy drill Taiwan blasted as a "provocation".

The talks marked "an important milestone in our bilateral relations," Indonesia's foreign minister Sugiono, who goes by one name, said as he welcomed Chinese counterpart Wang Yi, reported AFP.

"It serves as a forward-looking strategic platform, guiding our bilateral partnership across all five pillars -- political, economic, maritime, people-to-people, and security."

Indonesia maintains a neutral foreign policy, what it calls "free and active" -- walking a diplomatic tightrope between Beijing and Washington.

Earlier this month, Jakarta and Beijing raised the ire of Taiwan with a joint navy drill off the democratic island's east coast.

The two countries said it was a "passing exercise" with an Indonesian frigate passing through on its return home from the Russian port city of Vladivostok.

Taiwan called it a "military provocation" from the Chinese Communist Party.

Wang said Friday it was crucial for Beijing and Jakarta to "increase strategic communication, to deepen strategic coordination" as important representatives of the Global South.

"Today's world is fluid and turbulent," he said in translated remarks provided by Indonesia's foreign ministry.

"We are seeing unilateralism and hegemonism. They have dealt a heavy blow to this world as well as to the global development agenda."

On the agenda for Friday was the inaugural meeting of what is being called a "China-Indonesia Comprehensive Strategic Dialogue Mechanism".

Among other things, it is meant to boost "the alignment of development strategies", Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Lin Jian told reporters ahead of Wang's visit.

Wang would later be joined by Chinese Defense Minister Dong Jun in talks with Indonesia on "political security and defense cooperation and international and regional situations", according to Beijing.

Last year, Jakarta joined the BRICS bloc of emerging economies that includes Russia and China.

But President Prabowo Subianto has also signed a trade deal with US President Donald Trump and joined his so-called "Board of Peace".

International relations researcher Pieter Pandie of the CSIS think tank told AFP that Jakarta still leaned "much more" towards Washington than Beijing.

"From the security and defense side of things, the Indonesia-China relationship is still very much less developed... compared with Indonesia's security cooperation with other Western and Asian partners," he said.

"I wouldn't look too much into whether or not (Friday's meeting) signals some sort of 'realignment' for Indonesia towards Beijing," added Pandie.