Lebanon Divided over Return of Displaced Syrians

A camp for the displaced Syrians in Al-Rayhaniyah, in the Akkar governorate, northern Lebanon (AFP)
A camp for the displaced Syrians in Al-Rayhaniyah, in the Akkar governorate, northern Lebanon (AFP)
TT

Lebanon Divided over Return of Displaced Syrians

A camp for the displaced Syrians in Al-Rayhaniyah, in the Akkar governorate, northern Lebanon (AFP)
A camp for the displaced Syrians in Al-Rayhaniyah, in the Akkar governorate, northern Lebanon (AFP)

Some political parties and local communities have called for the deportation of Syrian refugees, while others and international organizations considered that the conditions for their return were not suitable.

In light of this situation, there have been warnings against potential “Syrian-Lebanese clashes”, especially with anonymous calls for the displaced Syrians to demonstrate outside the UNHCR headquarters on Wednesday, in parallel with a similar invitation by the Lebanese demanding their deportation.

On Tuesday, the head of the Kataeb Party, MP Samir Gemayel, said that Lebanon could no longer tolerate the presence of refugees.

During a press conference in Beirut following a meeting with UN Special Coordinator for Lebanon Joanna Wronecka, Gemayel said: “Lebanon received more than 1.8 million displaced people, and dealt with them in the best humane way; but today we are facing a new phase as the hostilities in Syria have ended, and there are no more open battles. Thus, it is possible for them to return to their country.”

“It is time for us to change the way we dealt with this issue,” he underlined.

The former deputy speaker of parliament, Elie Ferzli, warned against a potential “Syrian-Lebanese infighting”.

In remarks following a meeting with Speaker Nabih Berri on Tuesday, Ferzli said that some Syrians abroad were “shouting extremely dangerous slogans.”

“We have an interest in expediting the election of a president, who would deal with and resolve this file as soon as possible,” he stated.

On the other hand, the Progressive Socialist Party (PSP) demanded guarantees for the return of refugees to their country.

MP Hadi Abul-Hassan told Asharq Al-Awsat: “In our opinion, the refugees must return to their country… but with international guarantees” especially for anti-regime figures.

He added that the guarantees must include a safe return and appropriate social conditions.

Meanwhile, calls for demonstrations on Wednesday in front of the UNHCR headquarters in Beirut, were raised by a group presenting itself as the “National Campaign to Liberate Lebanon from the Syrian Demographic Occupation,” and to “confront the arrogance of the occupier”.

The organizers said that their move came in response to an invitation from the displaced Syrians to demonstrate before the Commission, to reject their forced deportation.

Maroun Khouli, head of the General Confederation of Lebanese Trade Unions, which launched the campaign last week, told Asharq Al-Awsat: “We called for the protest in parallel with the demonstration held by the displaced Syrians because we will not allow them to stand against the decisions of the Lebanese army and the laws.”

On the other hand, a displaced Syrian in Lebanon confirmed to Asharq Al-Awsat that calls from unknown sources circulated among the refugees, urging them to demonstrate. He stressed that this was an attempt to stir tension between the Lebanese and the Syrians.

Following information that pointed to the deportation of more than 50 Syrians from Lebanon, Amnesty International called on the Lebanese authorities to “halt the illegal deportations of Syrian refugees for fear that they will be subjected to torture or persecution by the Syrian government upon their return.”

Amnesty International’s Deputy Director for the Middle East and North Africa, Aya Majzoub, released a statement saying: “No refugee should be returned to a place where his life would be in danger.”



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.