PA Accuses Israel of Assassinating Adnan, Islamic Jihad Vows Vengeance

A vigil in front of the Church of the Nativity to condemn the death of Khader Adnan in Israeli prisons (Wafa)
A vigil in front of the Church of the Nativity to condemn the death of Khader Adnan in Israeli prisons (Wafa)
TT

PA Accuses Israel of Assassinating Adnan, Islamic Jihad Vows Vengeance

A vigil in front of the Church of the Nativity to condemn the death of Khader Adnan in Israeli prisons (Wafa)
A vigil in front of the Church of the Nativity to condemn the death of Khader Adnan in Israeli prisons (Wafa)

Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh has accused Israel of assassinating the prisoner Khader Adnan, one of the most prominent leaders of Islamic Jihad.

Adnan, 44, died in his prison on Tuesday after a long hunger strike that lasted 87 days.

The Israeli Prison Service said in a statement announcing his death that he had been on hunger strike since his arrest on Feb. 5.

Israel's far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir decided to close the cells and prevent the movement of Palestinian prisoners to "prevent riots."

The Palestinian Foreign Ministry condemned the "heinous crime," saying the Israeli government is fully responsible for the death of Adnan.

The Ministry announced that it would submit the file of this crime to the International Criminal Court.

The Arab League condemned the crime of the death of Adnan, saying Israel is fully responsible.

Meanwhile, the wife of Adnan, Randa Musa, held a press conference in Araba town, near Jenin, saying the family will receive well-wishers because Adnan's martyrdom brings them pride and honor.

"We do not want the weapons not used to free the Sheikh (Adnan) to be used after his death. We do not want to see any bloodshed," she announced.

In a will written on Apr. 2, Adnan urged the Palestinian people not to "despair no matter the occupier's actions, regardless of the extent of their escalation in their occupation, aggression, oppression, and transgression."

In his will, he asked his family |not to allow the occupier” to carry out an autopsy on his body.

Physicians for Human Rights in Israel said that its doctors visited Adnan and were concerned about his severe and life-threatening health condition, asserting the need to transfer him immediately to a hospital.

Israeli rights group B'Tselem described the hunger strike of Khader Adnan as "a form of non-violent protest against his arrest and the injustices of the occupation."

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) offered its condolences to Adnan's family and called on Israel to release his body so his loved ones "can mourn and arrange a dignified burial."

In a statement, the head of the Palestinian Prisoners Association, Qadri Abu Bakr, confirmed that the authority submitted an urgent request not to carry out an autopsy on Adnan's body, indicating that there was no date for handing over his body yet.

Secretary General of the Islamic Jihad Movement Ziyad al-Nakhala said in a statement that Israel will pay the price for its crime. Hamas also threatened to respond.

On Tuesday, Israeli tanks bombed a site east of Gaza in response to rockets fired from the Strip after the death of Adnan.

The Israeli army said that at least 22 rockets were fired from Gaza, and it responded, downing four while the other 16 fell in open areas.

The al-Quds Brigades, the military arm of Jihad, declared a state of alert among its fighters, and the movement's officials canceled their travel outside the Gaza Strip to join the meeting of the movement's political bureau.

The Israeli army officially canceled pre-planned maneuvers around the Gaza Strip and alerted the Strip's borders for fear of attacks following the death of Adnan.

Elior Levy, a Palestinian Affairs Correspondent and Analyst for Kan Channel, tweeted that it was a "problematic morning for Israel," considering Adnan as a symbol of Palestinian steadfastness and resistance to Israeli detention. He noted that Islamic Jihad could be preparing for a response.

However, it is believed in Israel that Jihad is not ready to enter a round of fighting alone, without Hamas, which will avoid entering into battle but will not prevent the factions from firing rockets.

Meanwhile, gunmen attacked a settler vehicle near Tulkarm, injuring several. The armed groups that launched the attack vowed to escalate in the West Bank as revenge for Adnan.

The prisons witnessed unprecedented tensions and confrontations, and the Supreme Emergency Committee for Palestinian Prisoners Affairs declared a state of alert until the crime was reciprocated.

The national and Islamic forces declared a comprehensive strike in the West Bank, the Gaza Strip, and Jerusalem, organized angry vigils, and opened funeral homes in the main cities. Universities and schools were closed, and lawyers suspended their work before the Palestinian and Israeli courts.

The Palestinian Authority demanded the formation of an international commission of inquiry into the circumstances of Adnan's execution, as the Israeli authorities transferred his body and the security services began discussing handing over his body to his family.



UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.


Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)

Israel has raised the alert level of its military along the border with Lebanon, raising questions that Lebanon’s south may again be involved in a regional confrontation should the US attack Iran.

Given the heightened tensions between the US and Iran, questions have been asked over whether Hezbollah will become involved in a new war. Its Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem had recently announced that the party will not remain on the side if Iran is attacked.

On the ground, Israel blew up houses in southern Lebanon border towns and carried out air strikes in the south. Israeli military spokesman Avichay Adraee said the raids targeted “Hezbollah infrastructure,” including arms caches and rocket launchers.

Their presence in the south is a violation of current agreements, he added.

Amid the high regional tensions, Israel’s Maariv quoted a military source as saying that the army has come up with plans, including a preemptive strike against Hezbollah, which would drag the south and the whole of Lebanon into a new war.

Ministerial sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the presidency has been carrying out internal and foreign contacts since Thursday morning to keep Lebanon out of any escalation.

Hezbollah had launched a “support front” war against Israel a day after Hamas’ October 7, 2023 attack. In 2024, the war spiraled into an all-out conflict, with Israel decimating the Hezbollah leadership and severely weakening the party.

Israel believes that Hezbollah has been rebuilding its capabilities since the ceasefire that was struck in November 2024.

Kassim Kassir, a political analyst who is close to Hezbollah, told Asharq Al-Awsat: “No one knows what Hezbollah will do because the situation is tied the extent of the attack, should it happen.”

He noted that Qassem was ambiguous when he said the party will decide what to do when the time is right, but at any rate, he stressed that the party will not remain on the sidelines or abandon Iran.

“No one knows what Hezbollah’s abilities are, so everything is possible,” Kassir said.

Riad Kahwaji, a security and defense affairs expert, said he does not rule out the possibility that Hezbollah would join the war should the US attack Iran.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, he stressed that Iran is now the United States’ main target, when previously it used to confront its proxies.

It has now taken the fight directly to the heart of the problem, which is the Iranian regime, he remarked.

The extent of the military mobilization in the region and the frequent American statements about regime change all indicate that a major military operation may be imminent, he added.

Israel’s military also favors preemptive operations, so it is watching Hezbollah, which remains Iran’s most powerful regional proxy despite the blows it received in 2024 war, Kahwaji said.

Hezbollah still possesses a rocket arsenal that can threaten Israel, he remarked.

Israel’s high level of alert on the border with Lebanon could be in readiness for any development. Should Tel Aviv receive word from Washington that it intends to attack Iran, then it could launch operations against Hezbollah as part of preemptive strikes aimed at preventing the party from launching attacks against it, Kahwaji said.

“As long as Hezbollah possesses heavy weapons, such as rockets, and drones, that it has not handed over to the army, then Lebanon will continue to be vulnerable to attacks in the next confrontation. It will be exposed to Israeli strikes as long as this issue remains unresolved,” he added.