From Egyptian Village to Best Player in England, Mohamed Salah is a National Idol

Liverpool's Mohamed Salah. (Reuters)
Liverpool's Mohamed Salah. (Reuters)
TT

From Egyptian Village to Best Player in England, Mohamed Salah is a National Idol

Liverpool's Mohamed Salah. (Reuters)
Liverpool's Mohamed Salah. (Reuters)

Deep in Egypt's Nile Delta region, the children of Nagrig village have a clear goal in life: they want to become football stars like Mohamed Salah, England's top scorer and Africa's top player, said an Agence France Presse report on Monday.

Salah, who hails from their village, has been a Premier League sensation since joining Liverpool -- setting a new Premier League score in a 38-game campaign with 32 goals.

The Premier League's top scorer this season, Salah, 25, grabbed the Golden Boot, and has won the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year voted for by his fellow players.

But a shoulder injury sustained in the Champions League final loss to Real Madrid has left Egyptians praying their star forward will be fit for the country's first World Cup appearance in 28 years.

Salah cemented his status as a national hero with his prominent role in qualifying and the team's coach, Argentinian Hector Cuper, said the Pharaohs are banking on him in Russia.

Salah's presence in the national team, fitness permitting, fulfils two objectives, said sports analyst Yasser Ayoub, according to AFP.

"The first is his personal performance and the goals he can score, and the second is that his presence provides the team an opportunity because the opposing teams assign players to monitor Salah... With Salah on the pitch, the other teams will be as if they're missing players," explains Ayoub.

Aware that his success has become an inspiration for children in Egypt and Africa, Salah addressed them in his acceptance speech when he won the African player of the year accolade in January, telling them: "Never stop dreaming, never stop believing."

In Nagrig as well as in Basyoun, the closest town, the youth centers were renamed after the Egyptian star.

While the house of the player's father, Salah Ghali, resembles others in the village, it was quieter: no-one was looking out of an open window, and no clothes hung from the house.

The village has been the focus of huge media interest as Salah has risen to stardom, but family members at his house in Nagrig refused to talk to reporters "out of respect for his wishes".

Salah's journey, figuratively as well as literally, was anything but easy.

"His talent clearly showed from the beginning," said Ghamri Abdel-Hameed el-Saadani, who was the juniors coach at the Nagrig Youth Centre, where Salah started training at the age of eight.

Still, Salah's success is not just due to his talent, "it's also a product of a will of steel, effort, and determination", said Saadani.

The mayor of the village, Maher Shateyya, a family friend, bursts with pride when he talks about Nagrig's most famous son.

"Mohamed was only 14 when he joined the Arab Contractors club in Cairo, and he had to spend nearly 10 hours a day in transport to make it to and from practice," said Shateyya of Salah's "journey of torment".

Nagrig to Basyoun, then to Tanta city, the capital of Al-Gharbiya province, then a bus to downtown Cairo, and a final ride to the Nasr City neighborhood where the club is located.

Salah grew up in a sporty family, with his father and two uncles having played football at the youth club in Nagrig, reported AFP.

"In the beginning, Salah played with the team in Basyoun town, then he moved to Tanta city before he was taken by the Arab Contractors team."

Starting in the under-15s, Salah spent five years there before his talent earned him a move abroad to Swiss club Basel.

From Basel, Salah moved to Chelsea but failed to break into the first team. He went to Italy where eye-catching performances for Roma caught Liverpool's attention and he signed last year in a deal that could eventually be worth 44 million pounds (49.5 million euros, $60.8 million).

Salah was raised in a traditional family where both his parents had government jobs. In addition to his government role, Salah's father also traded in Jasmine flowers, Nagrig's main harvest exported for perfume production.

Salah married Magi, a fellow Nagrig resident, when he was 20, and she has given birth to a girl they named Makka, the Saudi Arabian city that is home to Islam's holiest site.

The Liverpool winger still spends his annual leave with his wife and daughter in Nagrig, where he has never forgotten his roots.

Among his donations is money used to build an intensive care unit at Basyoun Central Hospital, said Saadani.

"He is very modest... eight-year-old Mohamed is the same Mohamed (as he is now), Africa's top player."



Crunch Time for Real Madrid’s Mbappe-Vinicius Partnership 

Football - LaLiga - Real Madrid v Rayo Vallecano - Santiago Bernabeu, Madrid, Spain - February 1, 2026 Real Madrid's Kylian Mbappe celebrates scoring their second goal with Vinicius Junior. (Reuters)
Football - LaLiga - Real Madrid v Rayo Vallecano - Santiago Bernabeu, Madrid, Spain - February 1, 2026 Real Madrid's Kylian Mbappe celebrates scoring their second goal with Vinicius Junior. (Reuters)
TT

Crunch Time for Real Madrid’s Mbappe-Vinicius Partnership 

Football - LaLiga - Real Madrid v Rayo Vallecano - Santiago Bernabeu, Madrid, Spain - February 1, 2026 Real Madrid's Kylian Mbappe celebrates scoring their second goal with Vinicius Junior. (Reuters)
Football - LaLiga - Real Madrid v Rayo Vallecano - Santiago Bernabeu, Madrid, Spain - February 1, 2026 Real Madrid's Kylian Mbappe celebrates scoring their second goal with Vinicius Junior. (Reuters)

French superstar Kylian Mbappe is poised to return for Real Madrid's Champions League play-off clash at Benfica on Tuesday after resting at the weekend.

The availability of the team's top scorer and best player this season is excellent news for coach Alvaro Arbeloa, but it raises the question of whether Los Blancos lose too much balance when both he and Brazilian winger Vinicius Junior line up in attack together.

That problem is further exacerbated when Jude Bellingham is available too, but the England international is injured and will not feature against Jose Mourinho's side in Lisbon.

All three stars lined up for Madrid in the league phase against Benfica in late January, as Los Blancos fell to a damaging 4-2 defeat that left them facing a play-off round tie against the same opponents.

Mbappe struck twice for Madrid in that match and is the Champions League top marksman with 13 goals.

However Madrid were outplayed and unpicked by Mourinho's side, who secured their own play-off round spot thanks to Ukrainian goalkeeper Anatoliy Trubin's stunning 98th-minute header.

With Mbappe an unused substitute against Real Sociedad on Saturday because of knee discomfort, Vinicius shone as Arbeloa's team ran out comfortable 4-1 winners at the Santiago Bernabeu.

The Brazilian won and converted two penalties in one of his best displays of a mixed campaign.

"Since I've arrived he's had games at a really high level... he's a player who goes beyond the statistics, how he can change a game, condition opponents, the number of players he can attract," enthused Arbeloa.

"He is one of the best in the world, and it is a privilege to coach him."

As Madrid's key attacker against La Real and operating in plenty of space, Vinicius put his stamp on the game.

However, he will have to share the star billing with Mbappe at Benfica's Estadio da Luz.

"(Mbappe) is doing very well. Obviously, he has been dealing with these minor issues for quite some time this season," said Arbeloa.

"He is making a great effort every time he steps onto the field, and we have decided not to take risks so that he will be ready to start the match on Tuesday. That will be the case."

- Key question -

Arbeloa has made it clear since replacing Xabi Alonso at the helm in January that he intends to lean on Madrid's star players when they are available.

Alonso's rotation policy and attempt at a meritocracy did not suit some of Madrid's stars and Arbeloa's strategy of keeping them content, from former Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti's playbook, seems to be working reasonably well so far.

Vinicius's form has risen sharply since Arbeloa's arrival, after a long goal drought impacted Alonso's stint at the helm.

However, Ancelotti could not solve the problem either and while the immense quality of Mbappe, Vinicius, Bellingham and co can help Madrid overpower most teams, they can also come undone easily against well-prepared opponents.

Madrid's Galactico gamble between 2000-2006 ended badly, with superstars including Luis Figo, David Beckham and Ronaldo winning limited silverware with the club.

Mbappe and Vinicius have at least said they enjoy playing with each other, and they mesh better now than during the first months after the Frenchman's arrival last season, when they often occupied similar spaces.

Yet with neither particularly fond of pressing or fulfilling defensive duties, it makes life hard for the rest of the team behind them.

After beating Real Sociedad, midfielder Fede Valverde praised the team's grit.

"Everyone worked hard... you could tell that we were defending as a team during the whole game," said Valverde.

Whether they can repeat that against Benfica on Tuesday, and other top opposition down the line, with both Vinicius and Mbappe in the team is the key question yet to be answered.


Alcaraz Says he Still Has 'Weaknesses' Ahead of Return in Doha

FILE PHOTO: File Photo: Formula One F1 - Pre Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, Bahrain - February 12, 2026 Spain's Carlos Alcaraz during the pre season testing REUTERS/Hamad I Mohammed/File Photo/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: File Photo: Formula One F1 - Pre Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, Bahrain - February 12, 2026 Spain's Carlos Alcaraz during the pre season testing REUTERS/Hamad I Mohammed/File Photo/File Photo
TT

Alcaraz Says he Still Has 'Weaknesses' Ahead of Return in Doha

FILE PHOTO: File Photo: Formula One F1 - Pre Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, Bahrain - February 12, 2026 Spain's Carlos Alcaraz during the pre season testing REUTERS/Hamad I Mohammed/File Photo/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: File Photo: Formula One F1 - Pre Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, Bahrain - February 12, 2026 Spain's Carlos Alcaraz during the pre season testing REUTERS/Hamad I Mohammed/File Photo/File Photo

World No. 1 Carlos Alcaraz ‌said he is still ironing out weaknesses in his game even after capturing all four Grand Slam titles by the age of 22, as he returns to action at the Qatar Open this week.

The Spaniard became the youngest man to complete the career Grand Slam when he beat 24-time major winner Novak Djokovic 2-6 6-2 6-3 7-5 in the Australian Open final this month, the latest step in what is now one of the sport's fastest-rising careers.

Ahead of ‌his campaign in ‌Doha, where his great rival Jannik ‌Sinner ⁠and a host ⁠of other challengers are in the field, Alcaraz said he was only focused on improvement as he seeks to hit the ground running after an extended break.

"Obviously I can see that (I have had) a lot of success so far, winning the biggest tournaments in the world," Reuters quoted Alcaraz as saying on ⁠Sunday.

"But I see myself with weaknesses. A ‌lot of players, I know they're ‌trying to catch up with me in terms of studying ‌my game, how I play and trying to beat me, ‌trying to challenge me.

"I have to be ready for that and see where my level is, where my tennis is. I have to try to put myself in their minds and think ‌what they could do when playing against me.

"So that's what I mean about saying ⁠I have ⁠to improve some things. Obviously, you cannot be lagging in the level, you just have to keep it going."

Alcaraz opens his campaign against Arthur Rinderknech, a player he has beaten in all four of their previous meetings, but the top seed said he is not taking anyone lightly.

"I know how difficult every match is," Alcaraz said.

"Every match is different, our play is totally different. I think this draw is a really tough one for an ATP 500 tournament.

"So I'm thinking about one match at a time, and let's see how far I can go."


Shelton Beats Fritz to Win Dallas Open

FRISCO, TEXAS - FEBRUARY 15: Ben Shelton of the United States holds the winner's trophy after defeating Taylor Fritz of the United States to win the Men's Singles competition at the 2026 Dallas Open at The Ford Center at The Star on February 15, 2026 in Frisco, Texas. Sam Hodde/Getty Images/AFP
FRISCO, TEXAS - FEBRUARY 15: Ben Shelton of the United States holds the winner's trophy after defeating Taylor Fritz of the United States to win the Men's Singles competition at the 2026 Dallas Open at The Ford Center at The Star on February 15, 2026 in Frisco, Texas. Sam Hodde/Getty Images/AFP
TT

Shelton Beats Fritz to Win Dallas Open

FRISCO, TEXAS - FEBRUARY 15: Ben Shelton of the United States holds the winner's trophy after defeating Taylor Fritz of the United States to win the Men's Singles competition at the 2026 Dallas Open at The Ford Center at The Star on February 15, 2026 in Frisco, Texas. Sam Hodde/Getty Images/AFP
FRISCO, TEXAS - FEBRUARY 15: Ben Shelton of the United States holds the winner's trophy after defeating Taylor Fritz of the United States to win the Men's Singles competition at the 2026 Dallas Open at The Ford Center at The Star on February 15, 2026 in Frisco, Texas. Sam Hodde/Getty Images/AFP

Ben Shelton saved three match points before finishing another rally at the Dallas Open, beating top-seeded Taylor Fritz in three sets for the title Sunday in a matchup of the world's highest-ranked American men.

The No. 2 seed and No. 9 player in the ATP rankings lost the first set in each of the last three rounds of the tournament, this time coming back for a 3-6, 6-3, 7-5 victory over Fritz in the first meeting of the top seeds since the event moved to Dallas in 2022.

Shelton improved to 4-0 in ATP finals and beat Fritz, ranked seventh in the world, after the pair had split their first two meetings. The 23-year-old's title came after he reached the Australian Open quarterfinals last month, losing in straight sets to Jannik Sinner.

After saving three match points to get the third set to 5-5, Shelton had three chances to close out Fritz while serving for the match. Fritz saved the first two, but the 10-time ATP champion couldn't match his opponent by saving the third.

“This was a crazy match to be a part of,” The Associated Press quoted Shelton as saying. “I thought the level was amazing.”

Fritz's dominant serving from a semifinal win over Marin Cilic — the 28-year-old didn't even face a break point while winning both tiebreakers in a straight-sets victory — carried over to the first set of the final. Fritz won 12 of his first 13 service points while breaking Shelton in the left-hander's first service game.

Shelton turned the match late in the second set by breaking Fritz's serve for a 5-3 lead, then did it again early in the third set.

Fritz broke back for 3-3 was leading 5-4 on Shelton's serve when he had three chances to close out the match. Shelton got to deuce with an overhead smash from the net and a backhand winner that caught Fritz going the wrong way.

On Fritz's last match point, Shelton converted a volley to get back to deuce and went on to hold serve with a backhand volley into the open court with both players at the net.

“If you’d told me I lost after having three match points, I think I would expect to be a lot more upset,” Fritz said. “It hurts, but I feel like it doesn’t hurt as much as I would expect it to because I don’t really have a lot of regrets with how I played those match points.”

Fritz's double-fault — the only one of the match for either player — gave Shelton three break points at 5-5. Shelton converted the second break chance when Fritz's forehand went long.

An ace on a second serve gave Shelton three match points, and he converted the second when Fritz's lunging return attempt on Shelton's approach shot fell short.