Trump’s Announcement of Halt of Drills with South Korea Stuns Seoul, Washington

US President Donald Trump speaks during a news conference after his meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump speaks during a news conference after his meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore. (Reuters)
TT

Trump’s Announcement of Halt of Drills with South Korea Stuns Seoul, Washington

US President Donald Trump speaks during a news conference after his meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump speaks during a news conference after his meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore. (Reuters)

US President Donald Trump’s announcement Tuesday that he was putting a halt to annual US-South Korean military exercises stunned not only Seoul, but Washington.

Trump's surprise, almost offhand comments, made during a news conference after his summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, seemingly upended decades of the US defense posture on the Korean Peninsula.

Trump added that he wants to remove the 28,500 US troops stationed in the South as a deterrent against North Korea.

"I want to bring our soldiers back home," Trump said, although he added that it's "not part of the equation right now." Then he said: "We will be stopping the war games, which will save us a tremendous amount of money unless and until we see the future negotiation is not going along like it should. But we'll be saving a tremendous amount of money. Plus, I think it's very provocative."

The remarks contradicted countless previous declarations by US political and military officials over the years that the drills are routine, defensive and absolutely critical.

Trump has now essentially adopted the standard North Korean line, calling the military exercises a "provocative" drain of money and announcing they would stop while he continues talks with Kim, whom he repeatedly praised as a solid negotiating partner.

His statement was quickly portrayed by critics as a major, unreciprocated concession to a country that only last year was threatening Seoul and Washington with nuclear war.

It also seemed to leave officials completely off guard in South Korea, where the presence of US troops has long been described as necessary to maintaining peace on the peninsula.

Seoul's presidential office told The Associated Press that it was trying to parse Trump's comments. The South Korean military seemed similarly surprised.

"At this current point, there is a need to discern the exact meaning and intent of President Trump's comments," Seoul's Defense Ministry said, adding that there have been no discussions yet with Washington on modifying drills set for August.

US forces in South Korea said it has "received no updated guidance on the execution or cessation of training exercises" and will continue to coordinate with South Korean partners and maintain the current posture until it receives an updated guidance from the Department of Defense or the Indo-Pacific Command.

At the Pentagon, officials ducked in and out of meetings to discuss what would amount to an epic shift in how the US military has been postured in South Korea for decades.

The defining motto of troops there is that they are prepared to "fight tonight," and joint drills are seen as the most integral component of that readiness.

"The Department of Defense continues to work with the White House, the interagency, and our allies and partners on the way forward following the US/(North Korea)summit," Pentagon spokesman Chris Sherwood said.

"We will provide additional information as it becomes available."

Trump's comments will be questioned by many in South Korea and beyond, with some seeing in them an effort by North Korea to drive a wedge between Seoul and Washington.

North Korea regularly calls the military exercises provocative preparations for a northward invasion, and many of the scariest standoffs in recent years on the Korean Peninsula have happened when the drills were being staged.



Pentagon Inks Tomahawk Deal Amid Reports of Missile Shortfall

A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)
A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)
TT

Pentagon Inks Tomahawk Deal Amid Reports of Missile Shortfall

A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)
A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)

The Pentagon announced a $22.9 billion contract with Raytheon on Monday for Tomahawk missiles amid reports of a shortfall due to the war with Iran.

Acting US Navy Secretary Hung Cao said the contract will "accelerate Tomahawk missile delivery to our warfighters at unprecedented speed."

"Guaranteeing our naval and joint forces have the lethal firepower they need to deter aggression and protect the homeland is paramount," Cao said in a statement. "The Department is utilizing every available tool to meet the demands of our current operations."

An analysis by the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) think tank released last month found that US stocks of Patriot and THAAD air defense missiles have been slashed by the conflict with Iran.

Before it began in late February, the United States had more than 2,300 Patriot and more than 450 THAAD interceptors -- figures that CSIS estimated have been roughly halved or more in the subsequent months of war.

The Washington Post reported this month that President Donald Trump had demanded answers from Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth about munitions shortages at a recent cabinet meeting.

Trump and Hegseth both later denied that the United States was faced with dwindling missile stocks.

Tomahawk missiles are mainly launched from submarines and warships and can travel more than 1,600 kilometers (1,000 miles).


UN Laments ‘Unacceptable’ Toll of 350 Aid Workers Killed in 2025

UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)
UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)
TT

UN Laments ‘Unacceptable’ Toll of 350 Aid Workers Killed in 2025

UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)
UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)

The number of aid workers killed worldwide in 2025 reached 350, with the most fatalities in Gaza and Sudan, the United Nations said Monday, calling attacks on humanitarians "unacceptable."

The death toll, however, was slightly lower than that of 2024, when 377 aid workers were killed.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) cited the figures from the research and advisory group Humanitarian Outcomes in a statement marking World Humanitarian Day.

Some 186 humanitarians were killed in Gaza -- the deadliest place for aid workers for the third year running -- followed by Sudan with 71 killed.

"More than 1,000 aid workers have been killed in just three years and that is utterly unacceptable," Tom Fletcher, under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs, said in the statement.

"But just calling it out will not protect the next aid worker. States must uphold international humanitarian law and use every tool to protect civilians and our colleagues," he said. "And for those who break the rules, there must be real consequences."

Since the start of 2026, 82 more aid workers have been killed, 97 injured and 39 abducted worldwide.

OCHA voiced particular concern over the proliferation of armed drones "that are putting lethal power into ever more hands and sending more explosive weapons into towns and cities."

In Sudan, armed drones caused 80 percent of civilian deaths in the first four months of 2026, hitting markets and health facilities, the statement said, also noting casualties from drone attacks in the Russia-Ukraine war.

"Weaponized drones have become the new face of an old danger: the deliberate or reckless destruction of civilian life," Fletcher said.


Reports: UK PM Exchanged Messages with Trump Aide Imposter

Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)
Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)
TT

Reports: UK PM Exchanged Messages with Trump Aide Imposter

Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)
Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)

New British Prime Minister Andy Burnham exchanged messages with someone posing as Susie Wiles, the White House chief of staff, several media outlets reported on Monday.

According to Politico, which broke the story quoting anonymous sources, the British leader sent a "few messages" via an unspecified communication channel to a person he believed to be Wiles before becoming suspicious.

The incident was deemed serious enough for the British embassy in Washington to raise the matter with the White House, according to two sources cited by Politico.

Neither the date nor the content of the exchanges is known.

Burnham succeeded former Labour Party leader Keir Starmer as prime minister on July 20.

"We do not comment on national security matters," a spokesperson for Burnham's Downing Street office said, without denying the exchanges.

Burnham is not the first prominent British politician to fall victim to this type of hoax.

In 2024, the British government released a video of a phone call in which the then foreign minister David Cameron was duped by someone posing as former Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko.

The Foreign Office explained at the time that it had disclosed the incident to preempt any attempt by the perpetrators to manipulate the footage.