Saudi Arabia Gives $100 Million to Northeast Syria

People take part in a biking tour in Damascus. Image: Reuters
People take part in a biking tour in Damascus. Image: Reuters
TT

Saudi Arabia Gives $100 Million to Northeast Syria

People take part in a biking tour in Damascus. Image: Reuters
People take part in a biking tour in Damascus. Image: Reuters

Saudi Arabia said early on Friday that it has contributed $100 million to northeast Syria for “stabilization projects” in areas once held by ISIS and now controlled by US-backed forces.

The Saudi Embassy in Washington said the money “will save lives, help facilitate the return of displaced Syrians and help ensure that ISIS cannot reemerge to threaten Syria, its neighbors, or plan attacks against the international community.”

The money will go toward agriculture, education, roadworks, rubble removal and water service for the region, which is now largely held by the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces.

“This substantial contribution will play a critical role in the coalition’s efforts to revitalize communities, such as Raqqa, that have been devastated by ISIS terrorists,” the embassy said in a statement.

Raqqa was the seat of the ISIS terror group’s self-proclaimed “caliphate” until it was liberated by the US-backed forces last year.

The Saudi Embassy described the $100 million as the largest coalition contribution to date for these liberated areas, as part of the pledge made by Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir during the July 12, 2018 Global Coalition Ministerial Conference in Brussels, hosted by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

The US commended the Kingdom's generous contribution.

The US Department of State said, in a statement, that this important contribution is seen as critical in the efforts to achieve re-stabilization in these areas.

It comes at an important time of the international campaign as the regional control of ISIS has declined to the last of 400 square miles, and some 150,000 displaced people have returned to Raqqa. It added that thanks to the global coalition, the partners on the ground are restoring key services to the population of northeastern Syria.

The statement pointed out that a number of coalition partners have made pledges and contributions in recent months, noting hat Saudi Arabia has been a leading partner in the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS from the outset.

The Department of State said that Saudi Arabia is a founding partner of the coalition and it hosted the meeting that helped in setting it up in 2014. It added that Saudi Arabia has contributed since then in many ways, including air raids in Syria, and participated in leading the Counter-Terrorism Action Group (CTAG), establishing the Global Center for Combating Extremist Ideology (Etidal), hosting more than 2 million Syrian refugees and providing more than $1 billion in humanitarian aid since the beginning of the Syrian conflict.

The Department of State called on all members of the coalition, regional partners and allies to do their share in this effort, which would help in bringing greater stability and security to the region.



Yemeni Minister to Asharq Al-Awsat: Hajj Pilgrims Have Been Registered Away from Political, Sectarian Affiliations

Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)
Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)
TT

Yemeni Minister to Asharq Al-Awsat: Hajj Pilgrims Have Been Registered Away from Political, Sectarian Affiliations

Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)
Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)

Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei stressed that Hajj pilgrims from his country have been registered regardless of their political and sectarian affiliations.

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, he added that his ministry was dealing with pilgrims from Houthi-held regions as Yemeni citizens and they are offered the same facilitations and services like all other citizens.

The ministry applies justice and equality away from political, partisan, and sectarian slogans, he declared. “Hajj is about worship, not slogans,” said the minister.

The ministry hopes that all pilgrims will be able to perform the Hajj smoothly and at ease, and that they return home safely.

Al-Wadaei revealed that 21,098 Yemeni’s have been registered to perform this year’s Hajj.

Moreover, he praised the facilitations that were offered to Yemeni pilgrims and the warm welcome they were accorded in Saudi Arabia.

He noted that their entry to the Kingdom, whether by land or air, was smooth, reflecting the facilitations offered by local authorities.

He hoped that God Almighty will bless the Kingdom, its leadership and people for the efforts they have invested in making the Hajj a smooth journey.

The Yemeni pilgrims have hailed the smooth measures and warm welcome from the moment they arrived in the Kingdom, saying the services have eased the burdens of travel and demonstrated Saudi generosity and hospitality.

The integrated and advanced border services and procedures have ensured that pilgrims from Yemen are registered in a short time and in an organized manner.

Upon their arrival at the Wadiah border crossing, the Yemeni pilgrims are welcomed with a variety of services, such as guidance, warm meals, cold and hot beverages, and souvenir gifts of their journey.


Saudi Leadership Condoles Kuwait over Passing of Sheikh Mohammed Faisal Mohammed Abdulaziz Al‑Malik Al‑Sabah

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Leadership Condoles Kuwait over Passing of Sheikh Mohammed Faisal Mohammed Abdulaziz Al‑Malik Al‑Sabah

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)

The Saudi leadership extended condolences to Emir of Kuwait, Sheikh Meshal Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah and to Crown Prince of Kuwait, Sheikh Sabah Al-Khaled Al-Hamad Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah, over the passing of Sheikh Mohammed Faisal Mohammed Abdulaziz Al-Malik Al-Sabah, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Saturday.

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud sent separate cables extending deepest condolences and sincere sympathy to the Kuwaiti Emir, the Crown Prince and the family of the deceased.


Crown Prince Discusses Regional Developments in Phone Call with US President, Arab, and Islamic Leaders

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)
TT

Crown Prince Discusses Regional Developments in Phone Call with US President, Arab, and Islamic Leaders

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia, participated in a joint phone call on Saturday with the US President and several leaders of Arab and Islamic countries, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Sunday.

The phone conversation included US President Donald Trump, King of Bahrain Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, President of the United Arab Emirates Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, King of Jordan Abdullah II ibn Al Hussein, President of Egypt Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, and Chief of Army Staff of Pakistan Field Marshal Asim Munir.

During the call, the leaders reviewed the latest regional developments, expressing deep appreciation for President Trump's leadership and his commitment to consultation and coordination with regional leaders.

They also acknowledged the mediation efforts led by Pakistan and the endeavors of the State of Qatar, which are aimed at reaching an agreement to halt escalation and bolster regional security and stability.