Budget Deficit Freezes Israeli Foreign Ministry Activities Abroad

FILE PHOTO: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (L) and Finance Minister Moshe Kahlon attend a ceremony for the signing of a housing agreement in Sderot, Israel April 9, 2018. REUTERS/Amir Cohen/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (L) and Finance Minister Moshe Kahlon attend a ceremony for the signing of a housing agreement in Sderot, Israel April 9, 2018. REUTERS/Amir Cohen/File Photo
TT

Budget Deficit Freezes Israeli Foreign Ministry Activities Abroad

FILE PHOTO: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (L) and Finance Minister Moshe Kahlon attend a ceremony for the signing of a housing agreement in Sderot, Israel April 9, 2018. REUTERS/Amir Cohen/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (L) and Finance Minister Moshe Kahlon attend a ceremony for the signing of a housing agreement in Sderot, Israel April 9, 2018. REUTERS/Amir Cohen/File Photo

The general controller of the Israeli Ministry of Finance announced the freezing of financial activities in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs following a severe budget deficit.

Senior Foreign Ministry officials said the decision meant that “the ministry and its diplomatic missions in the world will be almost completely paralyzed.”
 
Diplomatic sources said that the controller ordered Israeli diplomats abroad to put any plans for new spending on hold due to a major budget deficit. He also asked Israeli missions around the world to immediately refrain from any work-related travel as well as “initiatives and steps related to new contractual relationships.”

Fees paid to outside consultants, overtime pay and entertainment expenses by Israeli missions abroad, were also halted.
 
Nearly two months ago, Israeli ambassadors said the deficit was caused by a cut of 350 million shekels ($100 million) from the ministry’s budget.
 
“There is no budget to buy a train ticket or even a cup of coffee during business meetings,” they wrote in internal correspondence. At the same time, ministry employees announced a labor dispute, in the wake of a plan to cut their salaries.

A close aide to Foreign Minister Yisrael Katz said efforts were underway to resolve the crisis, but the Finance Ministry insisted on its decision to stop spending on foreign affairs “because of a gap between the ministry’s budget approved through the budget law and the planned spending of the ministry”.



NATO Prepared to Address Iranian Threats Extending to Europe

US Air Force planes on the tarmac of Sofia airport, Bulgaria, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Stoyan Nenov/File Photo
US Air Force planes on the tarmac of Sofia airport, Bulgaria, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Stoyan Nenov/File Photo
TT

NATO Prepared to Address Iranian Threats Extending to Europe

US Air Force planes on the tarmac of Sofia airport, Bulgaria, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Stoyan Nenov/File Photo
US Air Force planes on the tarmac of Sofia airport, Bulgaria, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Stoyan Nenov/File Photo

NATO is prepared to address any threat and will always do what is necessary to defend all allies, a NATO official said on Wednesday in response to questions about a report in the Financial Times that Iran has allegedly weighed attacking US military targets in Europe should Donald Trump escalate the war.

“As demonstrated earlier this year when NATO air defenses successfully intercepted ballistic missiles heading to Turkiye from Iran on four separate occasions, our deterrence and defense posture is strong and effective,” the official said.

Citing two regime insiders, the Financial Times reported on Wednesday that Iran has been weighing ways to broaden the confrontation beyond the Middle East if Washington intensifies military action.

One regime insider said Iran was preparing options to expand the conflict if Trump followed through on previous threats to attack Iranian infrastructure. Another said Tehran would place “no limits” on its response.

Iranian forces had assessed possible strikes against US assets in southeastern Europe, including Bulgaria, which approved the use of Bezmer Air Base by US refueling aircraft last month, the sources said.

Cyprus, where a British air base was hit by a drone in March, was also identified as a potential target for retaliation against a renewed US offensive, according to one of the sources.

Iran’s forces had separately examined attacks on subsea fiber-optic cables in the Strait of Hormuz if the conflict intensified, according to the report.

The sources described last month’s strike on a US base in Jordan, which killed three American service members, as Tehran’s most accurate long-range attack to date and evidence of its ability to hit targets farther afield.

“This was also a message to Europe: it can receive missiles, so it should know where it should stand in this war,” a first insider said. “A very big mistake, such as hitting our infrastructure, could make the war go beyond the region and reach Europe.”

Iranian Threats

Chief of the General Staff of Iran’s Armed Forces, Major General Ali Abdollahi, warned on Wednesday that any form of assistance to the US military will be interpreted by Tehran as active “complicity” with American forces.

In a statement posted on X, Abdollahi pointed to a rising concentration of US military aircraft across regional installations, saying, “It is improbable that this volume of military aircraft, particularly aerial refueling tankers, is operating out of regional bases without the awareness of host nations.”

He said Tehran will view any form of “assistance or facilitation” provided to the US military as direct military cooperation with American forces.

Also on Wednesday, Iran’s deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs, Kazem Gharibabadi, emphasized that any country that hands its destiny over to foreigners will pay a heavy price.

He noted that today’s Iran determines its own future, with the nation refusing to retreat under pressure and standing firmer in the face of compulsion and threats.

Gharibabadi’s threats came after Bulgaria’s Parliament backed a government proposal to allow the US military to use an air base in the Balkan country to support US operations in the Middle East, while some expressed concern about becoming involved in the Iran war.

Legislators in Bulgaria voted to allow up to eight US KC-135 refueling aircraft along with 250 personnel and supporting equipment at Bezmer Air Base to Oct. 1.

Later, Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi urged Bulgaria to reconsider its decision to allow the temporary deployment of US military aircraft at the ‌Bezmer air base, Iranian state media reported.

During a phone call last month with his Bulgarian counterpart, Velislava Petrova-Chamova, Araghchi said Sofia's approval of a US request to station military aircraft at the base to support military operations amounted to facilitating aggression against Iran, adding the move was unacceptable and contrary ⁠to the traditionally friendly relations between the two countries.

Ahead of the FT report, a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Monday that Iran will shift to a “fully offensive” military posture because efforts to negotiate a permanent end to the war with the US have stalled.

“Iranian entities must be prepared to escalate tensions in the Strait of Hormuz and wider region, as Iran will be ready to make decisions and take action on difficult decisions,” the Iranian official said, adding that Tehran would conduct a “timely and precise” military attack to break the US naval blockade if diplomacy failed.

Iran’s Medium-Range Missiles

Military analysts told the FT that Iran could deploy medium-range ballistic missiles against US assets in southern and southeastern Europe, such as its Shahab series. However, they said such missiles would likely struggle to cause significant damage at greater distances. The scale of any Iranian retaliation would depend on Washington’s next moves.

The analysts said heavier-duty missiles could also be deployed, but would have to carry a lighter payload to travel far enough — meaning damage would be minimal.

Douglas Barrie of the International Institute for Strategic Studies noted that earlier Iranian attempts against Diego Garcia indicated weapons exceeding 2,000 kilometers in range, making European contingencies more concrete, while unsuccessful outcomes exposed reliability, interception, and precision limitations.

In the weeks after the US and Israel launched the war in February, Washington accused Tehran of firing multiple missiles at Diego Garcia, the joint US-British military base in the Indian Ocean roughly 4,000 kilometers away. None of the missiles reached their target.

In March, Türkiye said NATO air defenses had intercepted several ballistic missiles launched from Iran. That same month, the British base at Akrotiri in Cyprus was hit by a drone.

Western officials assessed at the time that it was most likely an Iranian unmanned aircraft used by forces aligned with Tehran, rather than a direct strike by Iran itself.

And while reports said Iran will shift to a “fully offensive” military posture, Iranian Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei has issued decrees appointing six military and IRGC officials to leadership positions.

He named Ahmad Vahidi as head of the IRGC, and Hossein Taeb as commander of the IRGC's Basij paramilitary. The appointments came after the preceding holders were killed in Israeli-US strikes during operations Roaring Lion and Epic Fury.

Yadollah Javani, the IRGC’s deputy for political affairs, told Iranian state television that Iran’s military actions had so far been defensive because its adversaries had started the war, but could become offensive in the future.

He said the armed forces would adopt new approaches following recent appointments and directives from Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei and warned Iran’s adversaries to expect what he described as strategic surprises.

The threats reflect the mood inside Tehran, where a growing number of regime figures now see a resumption of hostilities as a matter of timing rather than likelihood.

At the same time, some within the Iranian regime are concerned that Tehran may be overplaying its hand. Many hardliners, however, believe the United States cannot be trusted to honor any agreement and argue that Iran must raise the cost for Washington to ensure it upholds its commitments under any eventual deal.

Among them is Mohsen Rezaei, a former commander of the Revolutionary Guards, whom Khamenei placed last week in the top post of the country’s security apparatus. Iranian analysts interpreted the move as a sign that figures such as Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Tehran’s chief negotiator, have for now been sidelined, as prospects for a lasting agreement appear increasingly slim.

The second source said Iran was signaling that failure to reach an agreement with Ghalibaf would leave the West dealing with Rezaei instead, and summed up Tehran’s broader message as a warning that Washington should not push too far, since Iran was prepared to go further still.

 

 


Australia Says Relations with Israel 'Difficult' after Aid Worker Death

People gather around the wreckage of a car used by the aid group World Central Kitchen, that was hit by an Israeli strike in Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip on April 2, 2024. AFP/File
People gather around the wreckage of a car used by the aid group World Central Kitchen, that was hit by an Israeli strike in Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip on April 2, 2024. AFP/File
TT

Australia Says Relations with Israel 'Difficult' after Aid Worker Death

People gather around the wreckage of a car used by the aid group World Central Kitchen, that was hit by an Israeli strike in Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip on April 2, 2024. AFP/File
People gather around the wreckage of a car used by the aid group World Central Kitchen, that was hit by an Israeli strike in Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip on April 2, 2024. AFP/File

Australia's top diplomat Penny Wong on Thursday said relations with Israel were "difficult" after it dropped a probe into the killing of aid worker Lalzawmi "Zomi" Frankcom and her colleagues in Gaza.

Australian national Frankcom was among a group of seven World Central Kitchen staff killed in April 2024 when their aid convoy was hit by an Israeli air strike, said AFP.

Their deaths triggered global outrage and a renewed push to ensure the safety of aid workers in Gaza.

Israel's military announced this week that criminal investigations would not be launched into their deaths, sparking outrage from the Australian government.

Foreign Minister Wong summoned Israel's ambassador Hillel Newman over the decision, which she described as "especially insulting and hurtful" as it was announced on World Humanitarian Day.

She has also asked Canberra's envoy in the country to "convey our views directly" to the government there.

Speaking to journalists after meeting with the Israeli envoy, Wong said "we do not have confidence" in the country's investigation into the killings.

"The Australian government will continue to keep pressing Israel for justice," Wong said.

Israel's envoy Newman told journalists in Canberra following their meeting he expressed "deep sorrow and grief" to Frankcom's family.

But he insisted: "Israel had no intention to attack or injure in any way the aid workers that were on the convoy."

"The decision is that there's no criminal liability. We must respect that conclusion," he said.

And he complained there were "a lot of haters of Israel in Australia".

The founder of World Central Kitchen, Jose Andres, said on X that the decision was "wrong and is painful for all of us. There was no excuse for their attacks on our team".

The US-based charity called the decision "inconsistent with the full truth and deeply offensive", and demanded an independent commission to investigate.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu previously said that the military had "unintentionally" killed the volunteers.


Russian Strikes Kill 9 in Kyiv, Surrounding Region

TOPSHOT - Ukrainian rescuers work at the site of a Russian strike in Kyiv on August 16, 2026, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (Photo by Tetiana DZHAFAROVA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Ukrainian rescuers work at the site of a Russian strike in Kyiv on August 16, 2026, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (Photo by Tetiana DZHAFAROVA / AFP)
TT

Russian Strikes Kill 9 in Kyiv, Surrounding Region

TOPSHOT - Ukrainian rescuers work at the site of a Russian strike in Kyiv on August 16, 2026, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (Photo by Tetiana DZHAFAROVA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Ukrainian rescuers work at the site of a Russian strike in Kyiv on August 16, 2026, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (Photo by Tetiana DZHAFAROVA / AFP)

Russian bombardments killed at least nine people and wounded dozens in Ukraine's capital and its surrounding region overnight, authorities said on Thursday.

The foes have ramped up long-range attacks in recent months, driving up the civilian death toll on both sides in the four-and-a-half-year war, said AFP.

The massive missile attack on Kyiv struck residential areas and warehouses, Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko wrote on Telegram Thursday.

A medical facility and an educational institution were also damaged, according to the city's military administration.

Klitschko later said the death toll in the capital had risen to eight and that 33 people had been wounded.

An attack in the Brovary district of the broader Kyiv region killed one man and wounded another, Kyiv regional governor Tymur Tkachenko said.

"One industrial facility has been damaged. All relevant services are on site, working to extinguish the fire," he added.

Ukraine's air force had warned of Russian "Kalibr" missiles in the vicinity of the village of Kagarlyk within the Kyiv region, heading towards the capital.

The attacks also prompted security responses in neighboring NATO member states.

Poland's military command said it had mobilized aircraft and activated air defenses aimed at protecting Polish airspace, particularly in areas bordering Ukraine.

Romania's defense ministry said radar systems detected aerial targets near the Ukrainian border overnight, prompting the scrambling of two Spanish fighter jets deployed on NATO missions and a Romanian air force helicopter.

The ministry said a drone entered Romanian airspace near Galati before crashing in an unpopulated area in Tulcea county.

Russia also reported a large Ukrainian drone attack.

Moscow's Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said 250 drones had flown toward the Moscow region between Wednesday night and Thursday morning, with most destroyed at a significant distance from the capital itself.

"Twenty-eight drones were destroyed in the Moscow region," Sobyanin added.

While Kyiv has faced near-nightly attacks, Ukraine has also escalated its retaliatory strikes on Russia in recent months, in part to attempt to pressure Moscow into coming to the negotiating table to end Europe's deadliest conflict since World War II.