World Court Orders Myanmar to Protect Rohingya from Genocide

Aung San Suu Kyi appears in court in case filed by Gambia against Myanmar alleging genocide against the Rohingya population, at the ICJ in The Hague, Netherlands December 11, 2019. (Reuters)
Aung San Suu Kyi appears in court in case filed by Gambia against Myanmar alleging genocide against the Rohingya population, at the ICJ in The Hague, Netherlands December 11, 2019. (Reuters)
TT

World Court Orders Myanmar to Protect Rohingya from Genocide

Aung San Suu Kyi appears in court in case filed by Gambia against Myanmar alleging genocide against the Rohingya population, at the ICJ in The Hague, Netherlands December 11, 2019. (Reuters)
Aung San Suu Kyi appears in court in case filed by Gambia against Myanmar alleging genocide against the Rohingya population, at the ICJ in The Hague, Netherlands December 11, 2019. (Reuters)

The International Court of Justice on Thursday ordered Myanmar to take urgent measures to protect its Rohingya population from genocide, a ruling cheered by refugees as their first major legal victory since being forced from their homes.

A lawsuit launched by Gambia in November at the United Nations' highest body for disputes between states accuses Myanmar of genocide against Rohingya in violation of a 1948 convention.

The court's final decision could take years, and Thursday's ruling dealt only with Gambia's request for preliminary measures. But in a unanimous ruling by the 17-judge panel, the court said the Rohingya face an ongoing threat and Myanmar must act to protect them.

Myanmar must "take all measures within its power to prevent all acts" prohibited under the 1948 Genocide Convention, and report back within four months, presiding Judge Abdulqawi Yusuf said, reading out a summary of the judgment.

Myanmar must use its influence over its military and other armed groups to prevent violence against the Rohingya "intended to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part".

Rohingya activists, who had come from all over the world to the Hague, reacted with joy to the unanimous ruling which also explicitly recognized their ethnic minority as a protected group under the Genocide Convention.

"That is something we have been fighting for a long time: to be recognized as humans the same as everyone else," Yasmin Ullah, a Canada-based Rohingya activist said, according to Reuters.

Majority Buddhist Myanmar generally refuses to describe the Muslim Rohingya as an ethnic group and refers to them as Bangladeshi migrants.

Myanmar's ministry of foreign affairs said in a statement late on Thursday it "takes note" of the decision.

"The unsubstantiated condemnation of Myanmar by some human rights actors has presented a distorted picture of the situation in Rakhine and affected Myanmar’s bilateral relations with several countries", it added.

More than 730,000 Rohingya fled Myanmar after a military-led crackdown in 2017, and were forced into squalid camps across the border in Bangladesh. UN investigators concluded that the military campaign had been executed with "genocidal intent".

In camps in Bangladesh where they have fled, Rohingya refugees hovered over mobile phones to watch the judgment.

"For the first time, we have got some justice," said Mohammed Nur, 34. "This is a big achievement for the entire Rohingya community."

Rohingya still living inside Myanmar contacted by phone said they hoped the ruling would force the country to improve their situation.

"We need protection," said Tin Aung, a Rohingya leader living in Myebon township in central Rakhine state, where Muslims have been confined to camps since violence in 2012.

A Myanmar government spokesman and two military spokesmen did not answer calls from Reuters seeking comment.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres welcomed the court order and "recalls that, pursuant to the Charter and to the Statute of the Court, decisions of the Court are binding and trusts that Myanmar will duly comply," U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric said in a statement.

‘Triumph’

Gambia's justice minister, Abubacarr Tambadou, hailed the ruling as "a triumph for international justice".

Mainly Muslim Gambia brought the case despite being located halfway around the world, on the argument that all nations have a universal legal duty to prevent genocide. Tambadou, a former prosecutor at a UN tribunal over the Rwanda genocide, took up the issue on behalf of the 57-member OIC group of Muslim states.

The case was argued last month by some of the world's top human rights lawyers, with Myanmar's civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi personally attending hearings at The Hague to ask judges to dismiss it.

Moments before the court began reading its ruling, the Financial Times published an article by Suu Kyi, in which she said war crimes may have been committed against Rohingya Muslims but refugees had exaggerated abuses.

Although ICJ rulings are final and binding, countries have occasionally flouted them, and the court has no formal mechanism to enforce them.

"The ICJ order to Myanmar to take concrete steps to prevent the genocide of the Rohingya is a landmark step to stop further atrocities against one of the world’s most persecuted people,” said Param-Preet Singh, associate international justice director at Human Rights Watch. "Concerned governments and UN bodies should now weigh in to ensure that the order is enforced. …"

Yusuf, the presiding judge, said the court was not satisfied with Myanmar's own efforts "to facilitate the return of Rohingya refugees present in Bangladesh, to promote ethnic reconciliation, peace and stability in Rakhine State, and to make its military accountable for violations of international humanitarian and human rights law".

Myanmar will now have to regularly report on its efforts to protect the Rohingya from acts of genocide every six months until a final ruling in the case.



Iran Negotiator Ghalibaf Says Hormuz Will Not Open until US Meets Demands

Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)
Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)
TT

Iran Negotiator Ghalibaf Says Hormuz Will Not Open until US Meets Demands

Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)
Iran's parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf speaks during a news conference in Beirut on Oct. 12, 2024. (AP)

Iran's top negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said on Tuesday that the strategic Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the United States meets Tehran's demands, including lifting a naval blockade.

"I want to state clearly that the Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the American commitments stipulated in the memorandum of understanding... are implemented," Ghalibaf said in a speech broadcast on state television.

He listed the removal of the blockade, the lifting of oil sanctions and unfreezing of Iran's assets abroad among the demands, which were included in an Iran-US truce in June that later collapsed, reported AFP.

War between Iran and the United States broke out on February 28 after US-Israeli attacks on the Iranian republic, triggering a conflict across the region.

Diplomatic efforts have since April 8 put an end to intense bombardments, but sporadic clashes have persisted, especially in and around the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran has kept control of the strait, a vital global energy conduit, since the war broke out, requiring vessels to seek permission and pay transit service fees -- a move opposed by Washington and several regional countries.

Iran and Oman, both coastal states on Hormuz, have for weeks been discussing the future of navigation through the strait, with Tehran saying the geographical coordinates of the route envisaged by both countries "have been agreed upon".

On Monday, Iran said that talks were "continuing in a serious manner" and views were being exchanged on the text of a "joint statement".

US President Donald Trump called for Tehran to surrender in a war that has become a growing political burden at home.

Ghalibaf during his speech said Iran was "ready to inflict an even more crushing defeat on the enemy, proportionate to its actions and advances".


Firefighters Push to ‘Encircle’ Belgian Wildfire

 Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Firefighters Push to ‘Encircle’ Belgian Wildfire

 Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)

Firefighters launched a potentially decisive push Tuesday to encircle Belgium's largest wildfire in a century, despite wind and rain hampering air support operations over the High Fens nature reserve.

The blaze charring the vast expanse of boggy peatlands, pine trees and hiking trails grew over the weekend to half the size of Manhattan -- 3,000 hectares (7,500 acres) -- with hundreds of firefighters working night and day to wrestle it under control.

"We are trying to definitively encircle the fire today," regional government spokesperson Nicolas Yernaux told AFP.

In areas where firefighters could operate, he confirmed the fire was "under control and contained."

But a hard-to-access front towards the German border remains a concern -- with residents in the border town of Monschau already under evacuation orders due to the smoke hazard.

Firefighters worked through the night to make a crucial link-up between the eastern and northern fronts, under very difficult access conditions.

"We're talking about one or two kilometers, and we're on the verge of achieving it," Yernaux told AFP, despite "sustained winds" blowing towards the German border.

Water-bombing aircraft from several countries have been deployed -- with two Norwegian helicopters the latest to fly in on Monday night -- but they have been repeatedly grounded by low cloud and rain. There are also aircraft from Germany, Sweden and the Netherlands.

Yernaux said it was unclear given weather conditions when they would be able to take off again.

"There may be windows of opportunity this morning, but it may not be before tonight."

A huge area has been blanketed by a thick plume of yellowish smoke, with fumes detected as far as eastern France, where authorities issued an air-pollution alert.

The smoke triggered evacuations in one Belgian village and two hamlets of a second -- with residents of the hamlet of Sourbrodt given the green light to return home on Monday night.

- As long as it takes -

Europe has been swept by weeks of devastating wildfires fueled by dry conditions and a historically hot summer, with France, Greece, Portugal and Spain also battling major fires.

The High Fens blaze broke out in an area that was ravaged by massive fires in 1911, during a similar period of heatwaves.

It is the country's largest wildfire since.

During a visit on site with King Philippe on Monday, Belgium's interior minister Bernard Quintin told media it could take "several weeks" of soaking and dousing the area to prevent the fire from reigniting -- even once brought under control.

On-site operations have been made much harder by the fens' terrain -- a patchwork of heath, peat bogs and raised wooden boardwalks where heavy vehicles risk sinking into the ground -- and firefighters struggle to tackle the fire at close range.

They have been counting heavily on aerial assistance to bring the situation under control.

Local farmers have also poured in to help, working shifts to oversee a ballet of tractors pulling in tankers of water from a nearby lake.

"We'll take it in turns as long as it needs -- the team is all set," a farmer from nearby Waremme, told AFP Monday. "We'll keep going until the finish line."

Like much of Europe, Belgium has experienced a new spell of intense heat and drought in recent days.

Temperatures reached as high as 37C in some parts of the country last week, creating conditions conducive to wildfire outbreaks.


Japan's Defense Minister Says Cooperation with US, S.Korea 'Critical' for Region

Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)
Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)
TT

Japan's Defense Minister Says Cooperation with US, S.Korea 'Critical' for Region

Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)
Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi (C) reacts as he talks with Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles (L) during a meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on August 18, 2026. (Photo by HILARY WARDAUGH / AFP)

Japan's defense minister said Tuesday that cooperation between his country, the United States and South Korea was "critical", after US President Donald Trump scaled back military drills with Seoul, said AFP.

"As Japan faces the most severe and complicated security environment in the post-war era, the cooperation among Japan, the United States and South Korea is critical to the peace and stability of the region," Shinjiro Koizumi said in Australia after talks with his counterpart Richard Marles.