Timo Werner Signing Shows Chelsea Mean Business – and They Are Not Done

Timo Werner | Photo: Reuters
Timo Werner | Photo: Reuters
TT

Timo Werner Signing Shows Chelsea Mean Business – and They Are Not Done

Timo Werner | Photo: Reuters
Timo Werner | Photo: Reuters

As statements of intent go Chelsea’s signing of Timo Werner from RB Leipzig, confirmed on Thursday, is the clearest signal yet of their determination to rub shoulders with Europe’s elite again. A striker coveted by Bayern Munich and Liverpool will be wearing a blue shirt next season and, while Frank Lampard’s side still have to make sure they can offer their newest addition Champions League football, it is hard not to feel that Chelsea’s ruthless touch is returning after a tepid few years in the transfer market.

The mood has changed. Six months ago Lampard cut a frustrated figure. He made it clear he wanted attacking reinforcements after Chelsea’s transfer embargo was halved in December and struggled to hide his disappointment when nobody arrived in January. A team low on creative inspiration following the sale of Eden Hazard to Real Madrid last summer needed an injection of class and Lampard’s concerns looked justified when Bayern won 3-0 at Stamford Bridge in February.

Chelsea have not made it past the last 16 of the Champions League since 2014 and are unlikely to improve that record when they visit Bayern for the second leg in August. Even so the growing sense is of a club on the up again, with the recruitment department and the head coach on the same wavelength and Roman Abramovich willing to provide funds to land key targets. Shortly after that quiet deadline day Chelsea agreed a £37m deal to sign Hakim Ziyech from Ajax in the summer and now they have pulled off another coup, sharpening their attack after winning the race for Werner.

“It is a very proud moment for me to be joining this great club,” Werner told Chelsea’s website, which said he would link up with the squad in July, subject to a medical. That means, as anticipated, he will not play in the Champions League for Leipzig. Werner predicted “a very successful future” at Stamford Bridge.

Whereas Bayern and Liverpool dithered, Chelsea pounced. They have paid £47.5m for Werner and, with the coronavirus pandemic potentially affecting budgets at other clubs, see an opportunity to make some decisive leaps. They have not used the £105m received for Hazard, Atlético Madrid are due to spend £48.5m to make Álvaro Morata’s loan permanent and further sales could boost the budget. All being well more new faces will follow Werner and Ziyech. Lampard wants Kai Havertz – a tricky one to pull off given that Bayer Leverkusen want at least €100m (£90m) for the 21-year-old winger – and likes the Leicester City left-back Ben Chilwell.

It could come down to choosing between Havertz and Chilwell. Both will be costly. Leicester are tough negotiators and although Chilwell fancies the move, Ajax’s Nicolás Tagliafico and Porto’s Alex Telles are cheaper alternatives at left-back.

The most inexperienced manager in the Premier League has made some shrewd moves so far. He was wise to move on quickly after venting on 31 January and has protected his relationship with Marina Granovskaia, the powerful director. He played a key role in landing Ziyech, the gifted Moroccan playmaker, and also laid on the charm when it came to nabbing Werner, whose 32 goals in all competitions this season mark him out as one of the finest forwards in Europe.

Ziyech has said Lampard bombarded him with texts to convince him to join, an approach that Werner will recognize. Before lockdown Lampard and Petr Cech, appointed as the club’s technical and performance adviser last summer, met Werner in Germany. They laid out their plans and struck up a rapport with the 24-year-old.

Sources have said Cech has been heavily involved in the deal. Cech and Lampard, teammates for a decade, combined to convince Werner. After a season of frustration in the final third, Chelsea have their marquee forward – a player capable of playing through the middle or on the left, with the ability to operate alone or in a two, and the awareness to take and create chances. Although they could do with more oomph in central defense, there is no doubt that buying Werner is a step in the right direction.

The German’s versatility will allow him allow him to play as a lone forward or work in tandem with Tammy Abraham or Olivier Giroud, and he keeps going when he misses chances. Werner comes back for more – no doubt there will be plenty of opportunities with Ziyech in midfield – and his determination to hit the ground running can be seen in his willingness to move to London in July and miss Leipzig’s Champions League quarter-final.

It is a coup for Lampard, who inherited a squad in need of renewal last summer. He has given the kids a chance but Chelsea need more conviction. Although they have impressive options in central midfield, an overhaul is overdue in other positions. Willian and Pedro, both of whom are out of contract on 30 June, are coming to the end. There are doubts over Ross Barkley, Marcos Alonso, Jorginho, Emerson Palmieri, and Michy Batshuayi. Tiémoué Bakayoko, a dud signing, has no future at the club.

Chelsea must work hard to catch Liverpool and Manchester City at the top of the league. Callum Hudson-Odoi and Christian Pulisic, young wingers with potential, are unproven. Mason Mount is learning and Ruben Loftus-Cheek is on his way back from a serious injury. Lampard should not settle if there are big deals to be done. Havertz, a target for Bayern, Madrid, Liverpool and United, would enhance his side’s threat.

Do not rule out Havertz. Chelsea mean business. They have short-term targets to meet, a place in the top four to protect, but Lampard wants trophies. The spending is unlikely to stop with Werner.

(The Guardian)



De Zerbi Vows to Stay at Tottenham Even if Side Relegated

Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)
Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)
TT

De Zerbi Vows to Stay at Tottenham Even if Side Relegated

Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)
Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - May 19, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi during the warm up before the match. (Action Images via Reuters)

Tottenham Hotspur manager ‌Roberto De Zerbi reiterated his commitment to the relegation-threatened Premier League club, saying he would stay on even if they were to drop into the second tier of English football.

Tottenham are two points above West Ham United in the final relegation spot, and a home draw with Everton on Sunday in ‌their final league ‌game of the season ‌would ⁠almost certainly be ⁠enough to ensure their survival, as the North London club have a superior goal difference.

However, if they lose to Everton and West Ham beat Leeds United, Tottenham could be relegated from the ⁠top flight for the first ‌time since 1977.

In ‌April, De Zerbi said he would remain ‌in charge of the club next ‌season regardless of results. When asked on Friday if he would stick to his word, the Italian told reporters: "Yeah, I confirm everything.

“It’s ‌still an honor to be a coach for Tottenham, even if ⁠on ⁠Sunday we play for the relegation fight, it’s not a problem. I consider football something more than the (league) table...

"We are fighting for something very important for everyone. It is football. But we have enough quality. To attack the pressure, you have to find the valor inside of yourself, to understand the situation and force yourself to give your best."


Norris Encouraged by McLaren Pace Despite Mercedes Front-Row Lockout

Lando Norris of Great Britain driving the (1) McLaren MCL40 Mercedes on track during Sprint Qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve on May 22, 2026 in Montreal, Quebec. (Getty Images/AFP)
Lando Norris of Great Britain driving the (1) McLaren MCL40 Mercedes on track during Sprint Qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve on May 22, 2026 in Montreal, Quebec. (Getty Images/AFP)
TT

Norris Encouraged by McLaren Pace Despite Mercedes Front-Row Lockout

Lando Norris of Great Britain driving the (1) McLaren MCL40 Mercedes on track during Sprint Qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve on May 22, 2026 in Montreal, Quebec. (Getty Images/AFP)
Lando Norris of Great Britain driving the (1) McLaren MCL40 Mercedes on track during Sprint Qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve on May 22, 2026 in Montreal, Quebec. (Getty Images/AFP)

Defending champion Lando ‌Norris said McLaren could take encouragement from qualifying third for the Canadian Grand Prix after finishing closer than expected to Mercedes, despite not fully exploiting their upgrade package.

George Russell claimed pole position ahead of teammate Kimi Antonelli, completing a Mercedes front-row lockout, while Norris secured third after a tight qualifying session in which he briefly appeared in contention following the first Q3 runs.

"I was pretty happy, actually," Norris said. "My lap, the 12.7, I was reasonably happy with. I thought there was a little bit more ‌in it, which ‌I tried to get out on my ‌second ⁠lap, but didn't ⁠really seem to be able to extract."

Norris said that being so close to Mercedes was positive, adding that they had not expected to beat them in Montreal because they had not yet maximized the potential of their upgrade package.

"The fact that we're not using some of our upgrades, I think we're very surprised to ⁠be this close," he said. "There are a lot ‌of positives... there are still good ‌things to come once we figure them out."

Team principal Andrea Stella ‌offered a similar but more cautious assessment, saying there were "encouraging ‌indications" that McLaren were learning more about their upgrades.

"Between the Sprint sessions and qualifying, we did some work to optimize the car from a set-up point of view and a tire exploitation point of view, ‌so this allowed us to make the car quicker," he said.

"In my view, you have to ⁠look at ⁠things more holistically, over a period of time and in different conditions," he added.

Rain is a possibility on Sunday, which could work against teams. However, Stella said that the conditions could potentially work in McLaren's favor.

"I do think that this is an advantage because there's uncertainty in relation to the behavior of the power unit," he said.

"In wet, it deviates even more from what you anticipate and from what you can simulate. So power units certainly remain an element of variability that is concerning, but if you have tested it you might know a little bit more. There is a little advantage then," he added.


Djokovic Faces Tough Start in Quest for 25 as Roland Garros Begins

Novak Djokovic of Serbia during a training session on Philippe Chatrier court ahead of the French Open Grand Slam tennis tournament at Roland Garros in Paris, France, 23 May 2026. (EPA)
Novak Djokovic of Serbia during a training session on Philippe Chatrier court ahead of the French Open Grand Slam tennis tournament at Roland Garros in Paris, France, 23 May 2026. (EPA)
TT

Djokovic Faces Tough Start in Quest for 25 as Roland Garros Begins

Novak Djokovic of Serbia during a training session on Philippe Chatrier court ahead of the French Open Grand Slam tennis tournament at Roland Garros in Paris, France, 23 May 2026. (EPA)
Novak Djokovic of Serbia during a training session on Philippe Chatrier court ahead of the French Open Grand Slam tennis tournament at Roland Garros in Paris, France, 23 May 2026. (EPA)

Novak Djokovic will headline the opening day of Roland Garros on Sunday as the 24-time Grand Slam champion begins his latest tilt at history.

Lifting the Coupe des Mousquetaires for a fourth time would send the 39-year-old clear as the player with the most major titles.

Djokovic's last Grand Slam title came at the US Open in 2023, and every subsequent major has been claimed by tennis' two new dominant forces -- Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz.

With double-defending champion Alcaraz missing through injury, Djokovic will enter his first-round match in the night session on Stade Philippe Chatrier against France's Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard knowing this may well be his best chance of claiming a record-breaking 25th crown.

"It's been a lot of hours spent on the court and trying to perfect the game and the body and enable myself physically and game-wise to be ready for best of five (sets)," Djokovic told reporters Friday of his preparations as he returns from a shoulder issue.

"Let's see. I don't know whether that's going to be the case for the entire tournament, however long that tournament will be for me.

"But Grand Slams have been, and I have said this many times, always the priority list, particularly in the last couple of years... So I can't wait to get on a court and start competing."

The third-seeded Serb enters the tournament with little match practice on clay after only competing in the Italian Open, where he was eliminated in his opening match earlier this month.

Djokovic is a different beast when it comes to Grand Slams. Despite his reduced participation in ATP tournaments in recent years, he has nonetheless reached at least the semi-finals at each of the past five majors.

He has, however, been handed a tough draw in the French capital.

First on the menu is former world number 29 Mpetshi Perricard, who, in addition to having one of the biggest serves on the tour, will also enjoy raucous home backing on Roland Garros' center court.

Second seed Alexander Zverev will also be in action on the opening day as the German faces home hope Benjamin Bonzi.

Rising stars Joao Fonseca of Brazil and Czech Jakub Mensik will both open their bids on Court Simonne Mathieu.

- 'Never tricky' -

Russia's Mirra Andreeva will be the highest-ranked woman playing on Sunday. The eighth seed meets French wildcard Fiona Ferro on Philippe Chatrier.

"Of course it's never tricky to play a French player, especially in Paris," Andreeva joked.

"Because obviously the crowd is gonna support her as much as they can, and that's totally okay. I mean, I have some experience even from last year when I played quarters, so I pretty much know what to expect."

Last year, the 19-year-old stormed through to the last eight before falling to French sensation Lois Boisson in a match in which Andreeva received a warning from the umpire for blasting the ball into the crowd.

Swiss 11th seed Belinda Bencic will open play for the tournament on Philippe Chatrier against Austrian qualifier Sinja Kraus.

Former Grand Slam champions Sofia Kenin, Barbora Krejcikova and Emma Raducanu all start their French Open campaigns too.

Lilli Tagger of Austria, the 2025 junior champion who has drawn comparisons to four-time Roland Garros winner Justine Henin for her elegant single-handed backhand, will make her bow in the senior draw on court nine against Chinese 32nd seed Wang Xinyu.