Sean Dyche Must Decide Whether to Stick or Twist Amid Burnley Battles

Sean Dyche has Burnley on course for another top-half Premier League finish. Photograph: Daniel Leal-Olivas/Reuters
Sean Dyche has Burnley on course for another top-half Premier League finish. Photograph: Daniel Leal-Olivas/Reuters
TT

Sean Dyche Must Decide Whether to Stick or Twist Amid Burnley Battles

Sean Dyche has Burnley on course for another top-half Premier League finish. Photograph: Daniel Leal-Olivas/Reuters
Sean Dyche has Burnley on course for another top-half Premier League finish. Photograph: Daniel Leal-Olivas/Reuters

An endgame seems to be approaching at Burnley, where Sean Dyche has expressed frustration at the tightness of the purse strings even as the club climbed into the top half of the Premier League table after another season of punching above their weight.

The manager is ostensibly unhappy that too many out-of-contract players have been allowed to leave without arrangements made to help tide the club over for the remainder of the restarted season.

Dyche has managed to secure the 35-year-old Phil Bardsley on a one-year extension but that appears to be the limit of the board’s present generosity. Joe Hart, Aaron Lennon and Jeff Hendrick are gone, and with Ashley Barnes, Chris Wood, Johann Berg Gudmundsson, and Robbie Brady all injured, Burnley could manage only a seven-man bench at Crystal Palace on Monday and two of those were inexperienced goalkeepers.

Despite their lack of numbers Burnley won quite comfortably, which says a lot for the quality of the players Dyche still has at his disposal and the manager’s ability to deploy them effectively. It is well known Burnley are a model of how to succeed on limited resources, though equally obvious that money rather than magic beans will be needed if the club’s status is to be maintained.

From the outside it looks as though the club are ungrateful for the remarkable results Dyche has achieved, intent on keeping outgoings as low as possible even though a five-year stay in the Premier League has boosted the coffers considerably. Although perhaps that is how the manager wants it to look. “Everyone keeps talking about my future, apart from me,” he said after the Palace victory. “I’m just getting on with my job, as I always do.”

Possibly so, though there would be less speculation if he had not let it be known he was unhappy with some of his board’s recent decisions, or made a point of insisting last week that the club’s financial position was extremely healthy. Dyche and Burnley have been so good for each other that for most of the last eight years it was tricky to see how a breakup might come about.

It is still a little early to conclude this will be the manager’s last season at Turf Moor, though it is now possible to see how it may happen: Dyche gets a better offer at the end of the season and takes it, leaving the supporters angry with the board for not giving him the backing he deserved.

It is now possible to see how a breakup between Burnley and Sean Dyche may happen.

Had football not been operating behind closed doors for the past couple of weeks some sort of terrace protest at Burnley might have been registered already. Driving to the Watford game last week past The Royal Dyche, the pub across the road from the ground that has changed its name in appreciation of the manager, a couple of lads were hoisting a “sack the board” banner.

In point of fact, boards very rarely sack themselves, though the present Burnley regime may consider such action should Dyche leave, because they will be the ones tasked with replacing him and the vacuum will be enormous. Early suggestions Mark Hughes could be in the frame were greeted with outright derision on social media platforms.

But will Dyche leave? He is probably ready for a change should the right offer come in but he has been in this position before when situations at Everton and Leicester became vacant. His name was mentioned in connection with both clubs. He could surely have made more of an impression at Everton than Marco Silva, though that avenue is now closed with Carlo Ancelotti in place. Leicester would have been right up Dyche’s street, with his strong east-Midlands connections, but that vacancy also appears to have been filled for the foreseeable future.

Given that Dyche is unlikely to be sent for by any of the seven teams above Burnley at the moment owing to his lack of European experience and unfamiliarity with elite players and super agents, it is not at all obvious where the manager might look to take a step up in life. He keeps being linked with West Ham, though mainly because that club is almost permanently on the lookout for a new manager. At least that would be a bigger club in terms of perceived status and support, even if most of the fans spend most of their time expressing discontent with their owners and their stadium.

Plus, West Ham could be in the Championship next season, and while Dyche has shown he is just the man for promotion and Premier League stickability he does not necessarily want to do it all over again at this stage of his career. Newcastle might be an ideal fit in normal circumstances – not that many people on Tyneside can remember those – but the consensus seems to be that if a takeover ever goes through an A-list manager will be brought in to make the club more attractive to overseas players. Dyche is not yet that sort of name.

The most obvious, logical destination would be Aston Villa, a big city club with unlimited potential that would strike anyone as the most conspicuous sleeping giant in the present bottom three, except there is not yet a vacancy at Villa. The club’s finances can only have been stretched by their massive spend last summer and unless results can be turned around very soon, a quick return to the Championship beckons.

Timing is everything in these matters. Dyche has more than proved himself as a capable Premier League manager and has reached a stage where even Burnley fans would not begrudge him a move that advanced his career. Yet that is only half the equation. The rest depends on an opportunity arising at the right club at the right time.

There are not that many doors open that look upwards, as Dyche already knows. Only Frank Lampard’s first season at Chelsea is preventing Dyche being the leading English manager at the moment in terms of league placings. It is not an unfamiliar situation either. Even so, if he gets a move it will still most likely be sideways, downwards, or abroad.

(The Guardian)



Japan's Olympic Figure Skating Heroes to Wed

(FILES) Gold medallists Japan's Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara pose after the victory ceremony of the figure skating pair skating free skating final during the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games at Milano Ice Skating Arena in Milan on February 16, 2026. (Photo by JULIEN DE ROSA / AFP)
(FILES) Gold medallists Japan's Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara pose after the victory ceremony of the figure skating pair skating free skating final during the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games at Milano Ice Skating Arena in Milan on February 16, 2026. (Photo by JULIEN DE ROSA / AFP)
TT

Japan's Olympic Figure Skating Heroes to Wed

(FILES) Gold medallists Japan's Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara pose after the victory ceremony of the figure skating pair skating free skating final during the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games at Milano Ice Skating Arena in Milan on February 16, 2026. (Photo by JULIEN DE ROSA / AFP)
(FILES) Gold medallists Japan's Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara pose after the victory ceremony of the figure skating pair skating free skating final during the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games at Milano Ice Skating Arena in Milan on February 16, 2026. (Photo by JULIEN DE ROSA / AFP)

Japan's Olympic figure skating pairs champions Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara announced their engagement on Sunday.

Two-time world champions Miura, 24, and Kihara, 34, became media darlings after they won Japan's first Olympic pairs gold medals at the Milan-Cortina Games in Italy in February.

They retired from competition in April.

"We're engaged," AFP quoted the pair as saying in a statement.

"Through both the happy times and the difficult ones, we've shared so many moments together, supporting each other every step of the way," they said.

"Over time, we became irreplaceable parts of each other's lives."

In February's Olympics, Miura and Kihara, popularly known in Japan as "Rikuryu", went into the decisive free skate in fifth place after errors in their short program.

They then stunned the world by topping the podium with personal-best scores, making them national heroes in Japan.


Man City Boss Maresca Targets Next Rodri after Midfielder's Exit

16 August 2026, United Kingdom, Cardiff: Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca reacts on the touchline during the FA Community Shield soccer match between Arsenal and Manchester City, at Principality Stadium. Photo: Nick Potts/PA Wire/dpa
16 August 2026, United Kingdom, Cardiff: Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca reacts on the touchline during the FA Community Shield soccer match between Arsenal and Manchester City, at Principality Stadium. Photo: Nick Potts/PA Wire/dpa
TT

Man City Boss Maresca Targets Next Rodri after Midfielder's Exit

16 August 2026, United Kingdom, Cardiff: Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca reacts on the touchline during the FA Community Shield soccer match between Arsenal and Manchester City, at Principality Stadium. Photo: Nick Potts/PA Wire/dpa
16 August 2026, United Kingdom, Cardiff: Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca reacts on the touchline during the FA Community Shield soccer match between Arsenal and Manchester City, at Principality Stadium. Photo: Nick Potts/PA Wire/dpa

Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca said the club would look to find the next Rodri following the midfielder's departure to Barcelona, insisting City had repeatedly shown an ability to replace key players.

Rodri, 30, ended a seven-year spell at City on Tuesday, bringing to a close a trophy-laden stay that included four Premier League titles, the Champions League and two FA Cups.

"I'll try to find a new Rodri - it is what it is," Maresca told reporters on Saturday, a day ahead of City's Premier League opener against Bournemouth.

"Rodri, before he arrived here, he didn't win the Ballon d'Or, he didn't win the ⁠Champions League, he ⁠didn't win the Club World Cup. Then he joined the club and then he achieved many important things.

"Now the target for us is to try to find the new Rodri,” Reuters quoted him as saying.

Maresca acknowledged the Spain international would be difficult to replace but said City's recruitment history gave him confidence that a successor could emerge.

"When David ⁠Silva was here, everyone was worried – Kevin (De Bruyne) arrived. When Sergio Aguero was here, everyone was worried – Erling (Haaland) arrived. When Fernandinho left, Rodri arrived. It's just about this," he said.

"When they leave, you need to be good and recruit the next one."

Rodri, the 2024 Ballon d'Or winner and a member of Spain's European Championship-winning team, further enhanced his reputation by captaining his country to World Cup glory last month and being named player of the tournament.

His departure is among several notable changes during the close ⁠season as ⁠City continue to reshape their squad.

Maresca said he expected further transfer activity before the window closes but remained relaxed despite reports linking Omar Marmoush and Nico Gonzalez with moves away.

"We need to adapt and we don't want to keep players here that don't want to stay. The normal thing in transfer windows is that you have to wait because all the clubs try to keep players until the last week and then sell for more money," he said.

"It's normal. I'm not worried about that. When the transfer window closes and we have all the squad there, for sure it will be different."


Pegula Dethrones Swiatek to Book Cincy Final Against Gauff

Jessica Pegula of the USA in action against Iga Swiatek of Poland during their semi final match of the Cincinnati Open tennis tournament in Cincinnati, USA, 22 August 2026.  EPA
Jessica Pegula of the USA in action against Iga Swiatek of Poland during their semi final match of the Cincinnati Open tennis tournament in Cincinnati, USA, 22 August 2026. EPA
TT

Pegula Dethrones Swiatek to Book Cincy Final Against Gauff

Jessica Pegula of the USA in action against Iga Swiatek of Poland during their semi final match of the Cincinnati Open tennis tournament in Cincinnati, USA, 22 August 2026.  EPA
Jessica Pegula of the USA in action against Iga Swiatek of Poland during their semi final match of the Cincinnati Open tennis tournament in Cincinnati, USA, 22 August 2026. EPA

Jessica Pegula rallied in the third set to topple defending champion Iga Swiatek and book a title showdown with Coco Gauff at the ATP-WTA Cincinnati Masters.

World number three Pegula won a "crazy" match against Swiatek 7-5, 4-6, 6-4.

Gauff powered past giant-killer Sara Bejlek 6-4, 6-1, ending the unseeded Czech's dream run that included a fourth-round victory over world number one Aryna Sabalenka.

Their all-American Sunday night final will be a men's title clash featuring American Frances Tiafoe and Arthur Fils of France.

Fils charged into his first Masters 1000 final with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over French Open runner-up Flavio Cobolli in a match delayed for 45 minutes by rain and lightning.

Swiatek and Pegula then waited out another rain delay before their match, which was also briefly interrupted two games in.

"Crazy match today," Pegula said after needing nearly three hours to subdue Swiatek, who was coming off her first title of 2026 in Toronto last week.

"A lot of back and forth, a lot of breaks," AFP quoted her as saying, "Really windy, kind of odd conditions. I felt like we were playing well and then not playing well.

"It was really tough to kind of get a gauge on the match."

MASON, OHIO - AUGUST 22: Iga Swiatek of Poland plays a forehand during the match against Jessica Pegula of the United States during day 12 of the Cincinnati Open at the Lindner Family Tennis Center on August 22, 2026 in Mason, Ohio. Dylan Buell/Getty Images/AFP

The two rode a rollercoaster of breaks and re-breaks before Pegula took a 5-4 lead in the final set, Swiatek saving three break points before double-faulting on a fourth.

Pegula quickly closed it out, firing a service winner on match point.

"I was just really happy with the way I was able to kind of handle just a lot that was going on today," the 31-year-old American said. "I did a good job of no matter what was happening."

The first five games of what evolved into an epic went against the server as Pegula and Swiatek struggled to adjust to the conditions.

Swiatek blinked first as Pegula held at love for a 4-2 lead, but Swiatek won the next three games before Pegula broke again, finally taking the set when Swiatek smacked a volley into the net on set point.

They had exchanged two breaks in the second when Swiatek broke in the final game to square the match.

Swiatek leaves for the US Open starting on August 30 with a good feeling about her game despite the defeat.

"We made some steps forward in this intensive part of the season," the six-time Grand Slam champion said. "It was tough to play today with the wind, but we each put pressure on the other. I didn't feel good in the first set but coming back in the second and using all of my chances was a good change."

Gauff, the 2023 Cincinnati champion, got off to a hot start against Bejlek, jumping to a 4-1 lead. Bejlek fought back to 4-4, but the American regained her rhythm to close out the set and run away with the second.

"I tried not to take my foot off the gas because I knew at any moment she could come back," Gauff said.

Tiafoe, runner-up to Jannik Sinner in Cincinnati in 2024, returned to the final with a 7-5, 6-3 victory over fellow American Brandon Nakashima.

Tiafoe saved three set points in the opening set, breaking Nakashima five times in all to earn the win in less than two hours.

"It feels damn good," Tiafoe said.

The American predicted a "hell of a show" against Fils, whose 68-minute win over seventh-seeded Cobolli made him the youngest French Masters finalist since a 20-year-old Richard Gasquet in Toronto two decades ago.

Fils admitted he had been unsettled by the weather delay.

"You come on court more nervous because it's a semi-final. The rain arrives, you wait, and when you come back conditions are completely different," he said.

"It was tough but I'm happy with how I dealt with it."