Norwich Relegated From Premier League as West Ham's Antonio Hits Four

 Michail Antonio scores his hat-trick goal. He went on to score all four in West Ham’s win at Norwich. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/NMC pool
Michail Antonio scores his hat-trick goal. He went on to score all four in West Ham’s win at Norwich. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/NMC pool
TT

Norwich Relegated From Premier League as West Ham's Antonio Hits Four

 Michail Antonio scores his hat-trick goal. He went on to score all four in West Ham’s win at Norwich. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/NMC pool
Michail Antonio scores his hat-trick goal. He went on to score all four in West Ham’s win at Norwich. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/NMC pool

Would Daniel Farke do it differently if he was allowed another go? Norwich’s manager has stuck to his principles all season, trusting in the players who won promotion last year and insisting on an expansive style, but it is not hard to feel that a touch more pragmatism would not have gone amiss in a scrap for survival.

Weaknesses are ruthlessly exposed at this level and Norwich’s inability to cover up their flaws has been their undoing, dragging them back down to the Championship at the first time of asking.

The defeat that sealed Norwich’s relegation summed them up. They defended abysmally, conceded soft goals from set pieces and lacked conviction in the final third.

Farke’s lightweight side looked broken and beaten throughout and succeeded only in delivering a masterclass in how not to handle Michail Antonio, whose four goals helped West Ham take a big step towards preserving their Premier League status with their first away win in nine matches.

“We are always self-critical,” Farke said. “You always have to ask yourself what you could have done better. It is not unexpected. The first day after promotion I said you have a 5% chance to stay in this league without spending money.

“I am sorry we were not able to work another miracle. No one expected us to win the title in the Championship. We were highly motivated to beat the odds. We can only apologize.”

Farke spoke about injuries to key individuals and expressed hope for the future, pointing out that Norwich have talented young players on long-term contracts.

He sounded confident about their financial position and ready to fight again next year, saying that he has no desire to leave the club. “I have a long-term contract,” he said. Nonetheless, it was striking to hear him describe Norwich’s seventh successive defeat as a case of “men against boys”.

They were demolished by Antonio, who collected his first professional hat-trick after moving to six goals in his past four games, and West Ham cantered to their second 4-0 win since David Moyes replaced Manuel Pellegrini in December.

Moyes was delighted with a first clean sheet in 15 matches after his side rose six points clear of the bottom three with three games left, having played one more than 18th-placed Bournemouth.

There was a doomed air about Norwich and a straightforward change from Moyes lifted West Ham after their defeat by Burnley last Wednesday, the omission of Andriy Yarmolenko for Mark Noble giving the side more balance.

Noble worked diligently with Declan Rice and Tomas Soucek in midfield, Jarrod Bowen was menacing after returning to the right flank and Norwich creaked at the back, escaping when Soucek clippedshot wide early on.

Norwich’s feeble defence could not cope with Antonio. West Ham’s forward rattled his markers, Ben Godfrey and Timm Klose, and he had already forced a save from Tim Krul before giving the visitors the lead, meeting Issa Diop’s flick from Bowen’s corner with an emphatic right-foot volley from close range.

Behind after 11 minutes, Norwich could have been forgiven for walking down the tunnel. They are the only team in Europe’s top-five leagues not to have claimed a point after conceding first this season and even West Ham, who have dropped 24 points from winning positions this season, could not find a way to blow this lead.

Noble, surprisingly playing at the highest point of midfield, was looking like a cockney Kevin De Bruyne. Bowen caused constant problems, arrowing two efforts wide, and West Ham had another chance go begging when Krul denied Soucek.

It was a brilliant save from Krul but he was powerless to stop West Ham doubling their lead just before half‑time. Noble swung in a free‑kick and Antonio glanced in an easy header.

After 53 minutes Noble made another telling impact, lofting a clever pass through for Antonio. The 30-year-old raced clear and although Krul saved his first effort the striker gobbled up the rebound with a looping header.

West Ham attacked again and Antonio became the first player to score four goals in a game for West Ham since David Cross in 1981, tapping in a cross from Ryan Fredericks.

“He’s been excellent because we’ve been without Seb Haller,” Moyes said. “Not many people score four in a Premier League match.”

It was a grim march to the final whistle for Norwich. Farke sounded resigned before the game, admitting his side were already down. The German just wanted his players to enjoy themselves. The problem, though, is that there is nothing fun about relegation.

The Guardian Sport



Former F1 Champion Alain Prost Reportedly Injured as Police Investigate Robbery at Family Home

(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)
(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)
TT

Former F1 Champion Alain Prost Reportedly Injured as Police Investigate Robbery at Family Home

(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)
(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)

Swiss police are investigating an alleged robbery amid reports that four-time Formula 1 world champion Alain Prost was injured during a home invasion.

Swiss tabloid Blick reported late Friday that the 71-year-old Prost sustained a head injury from intruders who forced his son to open a safe during the incident Tuesday morning.

“The perpetrators entered the residence while the occupants were present, threatened them, and forced one family member to open a safe before fleeing with the stolen goods,” the public prosecutor’s office said in a statement. “Despite the extensive search operation launched, the perpetrators have not yet been apprehended at this stage,” The AP news reported.

The police, who did not name the victim, said “several” balaclava-wearing intruders “broke into the house. Once inside, they threatened the occupants and inflicted minor head injuries upon one family member, under circumstances that remain to be established. The perpetrators then forced another family member to open a safe before making their escape with stolen items, a precise inventory of which is currently being compiled.”

Blick reported that Prost, who won four world championships between 1985-1993, was “visibly shaken by this brutal intrusion” and that he's left the home in Nyon beside Lake Geneva in the Swiss canton of Vaud.


Spurs Sweat over Premier League Survival as Salah, Guardiola Say Goodbye

25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
TT

Spurs Sweat over Premier League Survival as Salah, Guardiola Say Goodbye

25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa

Tottenham must avoid defeat against Everton on Sunday to guarantee their place in the Premier League next season as Pep Guardiola and Mohamed Salah prepare for emotional farewells.

Liverpool and Bournemouth could both secure places in the Champions League, while European football is also on the line for Brighton, Brentford, Chelsea and Sunderland.

Spurs 'dignity' at stake

According to AFP, this time last year Tottenham fans were basking in the glow of a first trophy for 17 years after beating Manchester United to lift the Europa League.

Head coach Roberto De Zerbi believes the visit of Everton dwarfs the importance of that victory, with Premier League survival at stake.

"There is something more important than the trophy and the bonus," he said. "There is the future of the club, there is the history of the club, there is the pride of the players, there is the pride of the families of the players.

"There is the dignity of every one of us."

A point will be enough to secure survival and relegate West Ham due to Tottenham's vastly superior goal difference.

But Spurs have already lost 10 of their 18 home league games this season and another defeat would open the door to Nuno Espirito Santo's Hammers, if they can beat Leeds.

Battle for Europe

Liverpool should ensure a terrible season does not end on a fresh low note by securing a top-five finish in Mohamed Salah's farewell to Anfield.

Finishing in the top five would ensure Champions League football next season -- a consolation prize after a shocking title defence.

Egypt international Salah criticised Liverpool's performances under Arne Slot this season after last week's 4-2 defeat at Aston Villa.

"I want to see Liverpool go back to being the heavy metal attacking team that opponents fear and back to being a team that wins trophies," he said in a social media post, pointedly referring to the football played under Slot's predecessor Jurgen Klopp.

"Qualifying to next season's Champions League is the bare minimum and I will do everything I can to make that happen," he added.

Liverpool, who host Brentford, have a three-point lead and a six-goal cushion on goal difference over sixth-placed Bournemouth.

Sixth could be enough to qualify for the Champions League if Liverpool win and leapfrog Aston Villa, who travel to Manchester City, into fifth spot.

As it stands, the sixth and seventh-placed teams would go into the Europa League and the eighth would qualify for the Conference League, AFP reported.

Brighton would be guaranteed at least Europa League football with victory over Manchester United.

Sunderland host Chelsea with a chance of qualifying for continental competition for the first time in more than half a century.

Premier League greats depart

Mohamed Salah's outburst gives Arne Slot a tough decision to make on whether to start the 33-year-old, who has only recently returned from a hamstring injury.

The already unpopular coach risks infuriating the Liverpool fans even further if he does not give the man they christened "The Egyptian King" one last run out in front of the Kop.

With increasing speculation over his future, Slot can ill afford to let any personal issues with Salah get in the way of finishing the season on a high.

Liverpool have failed to win any of the nine league games that Salah has not started in 2026.

At the Etihad, Guardiola is set for a rousing send-off after amassing 20 trophies in his decade in charge, including six Premier League titles and City's only Champions League.

"It's been the experience of my life," said the Catalan after announcing his departure on Friday.


Manchester United's Fernandes Named Premier League Player of the Season

Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS
Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS
TT

Manchester United's Fernandes Named Premier League Player of the Season

Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS
Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS

Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes was named the Premier League player of the season on Saturday after guiding his club to third place in the standings while equaling the league's assists record with a game to spare. Fernandes tied the league record of 20 assists jointly held by former Arsenal striker Thierry Henry and ex-Manchester City playmaker Kevin De ⁠Bruyne.

The Portugal international ⁠also scored eight goals as United secured a third-place finish to qualify for the Champions League.

The 31-year-old was nominated alongside Arsenal's title-winning trio of Gabriel, David Raya and Declan Rice, ⁠Manchester City duo Erling Haaland and Antoine Semenyo, Nottingham Forest midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White and Brentford striker Igor Thiago.

Fernandes emerged as the Premier League's best playmaker this season when he created a league-high 132 chances. The next best player was Liverpool's Dominik Szoboszlai, who created 89 chances, Reuters reported.

Fernandes was named the Football Writers' Association ⁠men's ⁠player of the year earlier this month while he also picked up the club's Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year honor for the fifth time.

He has the opportunity to make the Premier League assists record his own on Sunday when United travel to Brighton & Hove Albion for the final game of the season.