Australia, Qatar Diplomatic Row over 'Forcibly-Examining' Female Travelers

Women were removed from a Sydney-bound Qatar Airways flight earlier this month and forced to undergo vaginal inspections PETER PARKS AFP/File
Women were removed from a Sydney-bound Qatar Airways flight earlier this month and forced to undergo vaginal inspections PETER PARKS AFP/File
TT

Australia, Qatar Diplomatic Row over 'Forcibly-Examining' Female Travelers

Women were removed from a Sydney-bound Qatar Airways flight earlier this month and forced to undergo vaginal inspections PETER PARKS AFP/File
Women were removed from a Sydney-bound Qatar Airways flight earlier this month and forced to undergo vaginal inspections PETER PARKS AFP/File

Australia was left in a state of shock over Qatar’s invasive screening of dozens of female travelers, some of whom were Australian nationals, at the Hamad International Airport in Doha.

Female passengers from 10 flights were directed to ambulances where they were strip-searched and given invasive medical exams to see if they had recently given birth because a newborn had been found abandoned in a bathroom at the airport.

An official at Australia’s foreign affairs department said that Qatar was aware that its behavior is not normal by any standard and that it spurred panic.

The official voiced hopes for the incident not to be repeated.

Speaking to reporters in Canberra, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the invasive treatment of the women was “unacceptable” and “appalling” and his government would “continue to take a very strident approach” in seeking answers and ensuring it would never be repeated.

Foreign Minister Marise Payne reiterated that the Australian Government had formally registered its "serious concern" with Qatar, arguing the treatment of Australian women was "offensive" and "grossly inappropriate".

“It is not something I have ever heard of occurring in my life in any context,” Payne said.

Payne also revealed that Australia has also referred the matter to its federal police.

“Other countries affected absolutely share Australia’s views and the strength of Australia’s views,” said Frances Adamson, secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Australia was notified of the incident by a female Australian diplomat who was on the flight and was “shocked at what happened”, Adamson added. The Australian diplomat was not searched.

The incident, which took place on October 2, has embarrassed the Qatari government.

Qatar, for its part, on Wednesday expressed regret towards any distress or infringement on the personal freedoms of any traveler caused by this action.

Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz Al Thani, Qatar’s prime minister, has ordered a “comprehensive, transparent investigation”, the Government Communications Office said in a statement.

Prior to the strip-search, a newborn baby girl was found in a plastic bag in a rubbish bin in “what appeared to be a shocking and appalling attempt to kill her”, the statement elaborated.

The decision to conduct intimate medical examinations of women transiting through Doha international airport was an “urgently-decided search” to find the mother of the abandoned baby.



Yemeni Minister to Asharq Al-Awsat: Hajj Pilgrims Have Been Registered Away from Political, Sectarian Affiliations

Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)
Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)
TT

Yemeni Minister to Asharq Al-Awsat: Hajj Pilgrims Have Been Registered Away from Political, Sectarian Affiliations

Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)
Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei. (Yemeni Ministry of Awqaf and Guidance)

Yemeni Minister of Awqaf and Guidance Sheikh Turki bin Abdullah Al-Wadaei stressed that Hajj pilgrims from his country have been registered regardless of their political and sectarian affiliations.

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, he added that his ministry was dealing with pilgrims from Houthi-held regions as Yemeni citizens and they are offered the same facilitations and services like all other citizens.

The ministry applies justice and equality away from political, partisan, and sectarian slogans, he declared. “Hajj is about worship, not slogans,” said the minister.

The ministry hopes that all pilgrims will be able to perform the Hajj smoothly and at ease, and that they return home safely.

Al-Wadaei revealed that 21,098 Yemeni’s have been registered to perform this year’s Hajj.

Moreover, he praised the facilitations that were offered to Yemeni pilgrims and the warm welcome they were accorded in Saudi Arabia.

He noted that their entry to the Kingdom, whether by land or air, was smooth, reflecting the facilitations offered by local authorities.

He hoped that God Almighty will bless the Kingdom, its leadership and people for the efforts they have invested in making the Hajj a smooth journey.

The Yemeni pilgrims have hailed the smooth measures and warm welcome from the moment they arrived in the Kingdom, saying the services have eased the burdens of travel and demonstrated Saudi generosity and hospitality.

The integrated and advanced border services and procedures have ensured that pilgrims from Yemen are registered in a short time and in an organized manner.

Upon their arrival at the Wadiah border crossing, the Yemeni pilgrims are welcomed with a variety of services, such as guidance, warm meals, cold and hot beverages, and souvenir gifts of their journey.


Saudi Leadership Condoles Kuwait over Passing of Sheikh Mohammed Faisal Mohammed Abdulaziz Al‑Malik Al‑Sabah

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Leadership Condoles Kuwait over Passing of Sheikh Mohammed Faisal Mohammed Abdulaziz Al‑Malik Al‑Sabah

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. (SPA)

The Saudi leadership extended condolences to Emir of Kuwait, Sheikh Meshal Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah and to Crown Prince of Kuwait, Sheikh Sabah Al-Khaled Al-Hamad Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah, over the passing of Sheikh Mohammed Faisal Mohammed Abdulaziz Al-Malik Al-Sabah, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Saturday.

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud sent separate cables extending deepest condolences and sincere sympathy to the Kuwaiti Emir, the Crown Prince and the family of the deceased.


Crown Prince Discusses Regional Developments in Phone Call with US President, Arab, and Islamic Leaders

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)
TT

Crown Prince Discusses Regional Developments in Phone Call with US President, Arab, and Islamic Leaders

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (SPA)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia, participated in a joint phone call on Saturday with the US President and several leaders of Arab and Islamic countries, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Sunday.

The phone conversation included US President Donald Trump, King of Bahrain Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, President of the United Arab Emirates Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, King of Jordan Abdullah II ibn Al Hussein, President of Egypt Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, and Chief of Army Staff of Pakistan Field Marshal Asim Munir.

During the call, the leaders reviewed the latest regional developments, expressing deep appreciation for President Trump's leadership and his commitment to consultation and coordination with regional leaders.

They also acknowledged the mediation efforts led by Pakistan and the endeavors of the State of Qatar, which are aimed at reaching an agreement to halt escalation and bolster regional security and stability.