Kuwait Government Submits Resignation to PM

Prime Minister Sheikh Sabah al-Khalid al-Sabah is handed the government’s resignation letter. (KUNA)
Prime Minister Sheikh Sabah al-Khalid al-Sabah is handed the government’s resignation letter. (KUNA)
TT

Kuwait Government Submits Resignation to PM

Prime Minister Sheikh Sabah al-Khalid al-Sabah is handed the government’s resignation letter. (KUNA)
Prime Minister Sheikh Sabah al-Khalid al-Sabah is handed the government’s resignation letter. (KUNA)

Kuwaiti ministers handed in their resignations to the prime minister on Tuesday, the government communications office (CGC) said, days after lawmakers submitted a motion asking to question the premier over issues including the makeup of the cabinet.

Prime Minister Sheikh Sabah al-Khalid al-Sabah must submit the resignations to Emir Sheikh Nawaf al-Ahmed al-Sabah, for approval. Three main Kuwaiti newspapers earlier said Sheikh Sabah was expected to do so.

The resignation of the cabinet, formed on Dec. 14, had been expected after the move in parliament earlier this month that posed the first political challenge for the new emir as the country faces its worst economic crisis in decades.

The prime minister had been due to be questioned at a parliamentary session on Jan. 19.

CGC said the government submitted its resignation "in light of developments in the relationship between the National Assembly and the government", but did not elaborate.

The motion to question Sheikh Sabah, who has been premier since late 2019, was submitted by three MPs on Jan. 5 in the first regular session of a new assembly that was elected last year.

More than 30 other MPs supported the request to question him on issues including forming a cabinet "not reflective" of poll results and allegations of government "interference" in electing the Speaker and members of parliamentary committees, according to the motion seen by Reuters.

Frequent rows and deadlocks between cabinet and parliament have led to successive government reshuffles and dissolutions of parliament, hampering investment and economic and fiscal reform.

The latest standoff complicates government efforts to tackle a severe liquidity crunch caused by low oil prices and COVID-19 by pushing through a debt law that has faced legislative gridlock.



42,000 Iraqi Pilgrims Arrive in Makkah

Muslim pilgrims at the Grand Mosque complex, ahead of the annual hajj pilgrimage, in the holy city of Makkah, Saudi Arabia, May 22, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Ibraheem Abu Mustafa
Muslim pilgrims at the Grand Mosque complex, ahead of the annual hajj pilgrimage, in the holy city of Makkah, Saudi Arabia, May 22, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Ibraheem Abu Mustafa
TT

42,000 Iraqi Pilgrims Arrive in Makkah

Muslim pilgrims at the Grand Mosque complex, ahead of the annual hajj pilgrimage, in the holy city of Makkah, Saudi Arabia, May 22, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Ibraheem Abu Mustafa
Muslim pilgrims at the Grand Mosque complex, ahead of the annual hajj pilgrimage, in the holy city of Makkah, Saudi Arabia, May 22, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Ibraheem Abu Mustafa

Sami al-Masoudi, head of Iraq’s High Commission for Hajj and Umrah, said 42,000 Iraqi pilgrims have arrived in Saudi Arabia, praising the Kingdom’s efforts to ensure pilgrims’ comfort through a wide range of services and facilities aimed at helping worshippers perform their rituals with ease.

Al-Masoudi told Asharq Al-Awsat that the arrival of Iraqi pilgrims came amid early and well-organized preparations following directives from Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Hajj and Umrah, which called for readiness across all sectors, including accommodation, catering, services at the holy sites, and internal and external transportation, to guarantee pilgrims’ comfort and the smooth performance of rituals.

One of the most notable features of this year’s Hajj season for Iraqi pilgrims is the adoption of sacrificial offerings services through the electronic platform after they became managed under the Saudi Project for Utilization of Hady and Adahi, a step al-Masoudi described as “qualitative.”

“It reflects the level of development and organization within the Hajj system,” he said.

“Today, all contracts, including sacrificial offerings, are completed electronically, which has helped simplify procedures, reduce bureaucracy and improve the level of services provided to pilgrims,” he added.

The Saudi Project for Utilization of Hady and Adahi is one of the initiatives of the Royal Commission for Makkah City and Holy Sites.

The project aims to facilitate the performance of Hady and expiation rituals for pilgrims and enable Muslims worldwide to carry out sacrifices, charity donations and aqiqah on their behalf, while distributing the meat to eligible beneficiaries inside and outside the Kingdom.

Al-Masoudi also highlighted the major transformation and development projects supported by artificial intelligence technologies that Saudi Arabia has deployed to serve pilgrims.

“Year after year, we witness continuous progress and major efforts by the Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah and supporting agencies in the Kingdom, especially in automation and digital transformation, which directly improve pilgrims’ comfort and the quality of services provided to them,” he said.

Saudi Arabia has consistently worked to improve services for pilgrims arriving from around the world through projects that are upgraded and expanded annually, reflecting the leadership’s commitment to serving pilgrims and Umrah performers, enhancing service quality and enriching their religious experience in line with the goals of Saudi Vision 2030.

The first groups of Iraqi pilgrims began arriving in the Kingdom through the al-Haditha border crossing in al-Qurayyat and the Jadidat Arar crossing, where entry procedures were completed smoothly within minutes under an integrated service system designed to ease the burden of long-distance travel and provide a more comfortable and reassuring experience for pilgrims traveling by land to Makkah.

Expressions of gratitude were evident among Iraqi pilgrims, many of whom described the reception as “beyond expectations,” saying the welcome they received upon entering the Kingdom gave them a sense of comfort and reassurance even before reaching the holy sites.


Saudi Interior Minister Reviews Readiness of Hajj Security Forces for Hajj Season

Saudi Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Hajj Committee Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz reviewed the readiness of the Hajj Security Forces. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Hajj Committee Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz reviewed the readiness of the Hajj Security Forces. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Interior Minister Reviews Readiness of Hajj Security Forces for Hajj Season

Saudi Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Hajj Committee Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz reviewed the readiness of the Hajj Security Forces. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Hajj Committee Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz reviewed the readiness of the Hajj Security Forces. (SPA)

Saudi Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Hajj Committee Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz reviewed the readiness of the Hajj Security Forces to implement approved field and organizational plans for the 1447 AH Hajj season during the annual ceremony held by participating Hajj security forces in Makkah, the Saudi Press Agency said.

Director of Public Security and Chairman of the Hajj Security Committee Mohammed Al-Bassami said in a speech delivered on the occasion that the Saudi leadership has mobilized all resources and capabilities to serve pilgrims, making the Kingdom a leading global model in crowd management and in achieving the highest levels of organization and smooth movement. These efforts enable pilgrims to perform rituals in safety and tranquility.

He explained that the Hajj Security Forces have commenced implementing this season’s duties through integrated security and preventive plans built on lessons learned from previous years and designed to anticipate various scenarios and contingencies.

The plans aim to ensure the safety and security of pilgrims in Makkah, the holy sites, Madinah, and along all routes used by pilgrims.

Al-Bassami also stressed that authorities will firmly confront any attempt to politicize Hajj, disrupt pilgrims’ security, or disturb the performance of rituals. He underscored the full readiness of Hajj Security Forces to carry out approved plans.

The ceremony included several security and field simulations demonstrating the readiness and operational capabilities of participating forces. It also featured displays of security vehicles, modern technologies used during Hajj, and support from Security Aviation and field support vehicles.

The ceremony was attended by members of the Supreme Hajj Committee, security and military commanders, and several senior officials.

 


Saudi Arabia Condemns Explosion near Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus

Logo of the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Logo of the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs
TT

Saudi Arabia Condemns Explosion near Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus

Logo of the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Logo of the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Saudi Arabia condemned on Thursday the explosion that occurred near a building belonging to the Syrian Ministry of Defense in Damascus, which resulted in the death of a soldier and injuries to several civilians, the Saudi Press Agency said.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement that Saudi Arabia reiterates its firm stance against all forms of violence and expresses its condolences and solidarity with Syria, wishing the injured a speedy recovery.