US Envoy to Yemen Extends Regional Tour ‘Indefinitely’

Kuwait’s Foreign Minster Sheikh Ahmed Nasser Al-Mohammed Al-Sabah received US envoy to Yemen Tim Lenderking in Kuwait City on Monday, March 1, 2021. (KUNA)
Kuwait’s Foreign Minster Sheikh Ahmed Nasser Al-Mohammed Al-Sabah received US envoy to Yemen Tim Lenderking in Kuwait City on Monday, March 1, 2021. (KUNA)
TT

US Envoy to Yemen Extends Regional Tour ‘Indefinitely’

Kuwait’s Foreign Minster Sheikh Ahmed Nasser Al-Mohammed Al-Sabah received US envoy to Yemen Tim Lenderking in Kuwait City on Monday, March 1, 2021. (KUNA)
Kuwait’s Foreign Minster Sheikh Ahmed Nasser Al-Mohammed Al-Sabah received US envoy to Yemen Tim Lenderking in Kuwait City on Monday, March 1, 2021. (KUNA)

United States envoy to Yemen Tim Lenderking has extended his tour of the region indefinitely after visiting a number of Gulf countries.

His tour was supposed to last ten days, but it has so far taken 14. This is his second visit to the region since his appointment earlier this year.

He has so far visited the Saudi capital, Riyadh, where he met with Saudi and Yemeni officials.

He also paid a visit to the Omani capital, Muscat, where he met with a Houthi delegation in late February, reported Reuters.

The envoy also traveled to all Gulf countries, except Bahrain. He did, however, hold telephone talks with its foreign minister.

State Department spokesman Ned Price said the extension of his tour reflects Washington’s keenness on reaching a diplomatic solution to the “grueling” conflict in Yemen.

During a press briefing on Friday, he added that Lenderking “is working closely with UN Special Envoy Martin Griffiths. Everything Special Envoy Lenderking is doing is intended to support the work of UN Special Envoy Martin Griffiths.”

On when he expects Lenderking to return to the US, he replied that he does not have any details about that, “but whether he is in the region or whether he is back here, he will remain engaged in this important work.”

Analyst Irina Zuckerman said that Lenderking’s talks with the Iran-backed Houthis in Muscat had failed dramatically. The US has yet to comment on those meetings.

In remarks to the Asharq Al-Awsat, she said Washington’s plan to resolve the crisis was not realistic. She explained that the Americans had proposed the complete Saudi withdrawal from Yemen, a cessation of hostilities, release of ships that were seized during the week and launch of an “expanded” dialogue held in a neutral location.

She did credit the Americans for being more diplomatically proactive in resolving the crisis and for reaching out to all involved parties.

She noted, however, that Washington’s decision to revoke the Houthis’ terrorist designation only emboldened them to continue their attacks on Saudi Arabia and pursue their offensive in Yemen’s Marib province.

Moreover, the contradictory messages that have been sent in regards to the Saudi-American relationship have only fueled the war, she continued.

The legitimate Yemeni government is also facing its own challenges from the Southern Transitional Council and Islah party, she said.

Furthermore, Zuckerman urged the need to abandon a plan that was not viable and to instead reach out to the allies of the US and understand the various positions in the conflict before attempting to mediate with the Houthis.



Israel Opens Criminal Probes Over Killings of Hind Rajab and Gaza Rescue Workers, Military Says

Hind Rajab. (Family handout/AFP/Getty Images)
Hind Rajab. (Family handout/AFP/Getty Images)
TT

Israel Opens Criminal Probes Over Killings of Hind Rajab and Gaza Rescue Workers, Military Says

Hind Rajab. (Family handout/AFP/Getty Images)
Hind Rajab. (Family handout/AFP/Getty Images)

Israel's military will open internal investigations over its troops' killings in Gaza of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab in January 2024 and 15 emergency and aid workers in March 2025, it said on Wednesday, although rights groups said such probes rarely lead to convictions.

The military said the investigation decisions followed probes by its Fact-Finding and Assessment Mechanism. It released decisions regarding five incidents involving the deaths of Palestinians. They included an examination ‌of the killings ‌of seven aid workers with the World ‌Central ⁠Kitchen charity in ⁠April 2024. On that incident, the military said there was "no reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct that would justify the opening of a criminal investigation."

"For more than a thousand days, the Israeli army has been conducting intensive combat across numerous fronts, carrying out a wide range of military missions ⁠in an exceptionally complex operational reality," the Israeli ‌military said.

"As part of the military's ‌obligations under international law and Israeli domestic law, the army ‌examines exceptional incidents that occurred during combat," the military said.

Israeli ‌rights groups say that criminal misconduct investigations into Israeli troops over the killing of Palestinians rarely lead to convictions.

"Nearly zero indictments are served relative to the number of complaints of soldiers and ‌commanders who commit offenses. In rare cases when commanders or soldiers are convicted, they receive ridiculously ⁠lenient ⁠sentences compared with the severity of the offense," a spokesperson for the Israeli rights organization Yesh Din said.

During Israel's offensive in response to an October 7, 2023, Hamas attack, Hind Rajab was pinned down in a car for hours, begging Palestinian medics over a mobile phone to send help, while her aunt, uncle and three cousins already lay dead.

When an ambulance finally arrived, contact with the girl and the rescuers themselves was lost. Twelve days later, the bodies of the girl, her relatives and two ambulance workers were recovered from the area.


Syria Arrests Assad-era Officer who Fled Austria after Conviction

A man walks past heavily-damaged and destroyed buildings in the Jobar suburb northeast of Damascus on August 12, 2026. (Photo by LOUAI BESHARA / AFP)
A man walks past heavily-damaged and destroyed buildings in the Jobar suburb northeast of Damascus on August 12, 2026. (Photo by LOUAI BESHARA / AFP)
TT

Syria Arrests Assad-era Officer who Fled Austria after Conviction

A man walks past heavily-damaged and destroyed buildings in the Jobar suburb northeast of Damascus on August 12, 2026. (Photo by LOUAI BESHARA / AFP)
A man walks past heavily-damaged and destroyed buildings in the Jobar suburb northeast of Damascus on August 12, 2026. (Photo by LOUAI BESHARA / AFP)

Syrian security forces have arrested a former Assad-era security officer who fled Austria after being sentenced to eight years in prison for abusing detainees and returned to his hometown in southern Syria, state news agency SANA said on Tuesday night.

Lieutenant Colonel Musab Abu Rukba was arrested in the city of Nawa in Daraa province by internal security forces in coordination ⁠with the counter-terrorism ⁠department, SANA said, citing the security forces.

Abu Rukba had been convicted by a Vienna court last month of bodily harm, aggravated coercion and sexual assault against detained opponents of former President Bashar al-Assad while he headed the police’s criminal investigations department in the northern city of Raqqa more than a ⁠decade ago.

He had pleaded not guilty.

Reuters reported on Friday that Abu Rukba had left Austria while challenging his eight-year sentence on appeal and arrived in Nawa in early August, where his family held a reception to celebrate his return.

SANA said on Tuesday that Abu Rukba had entered Syria illegally after fleeing Austria and that authorities had tracked him down in Nawa. He had been referred to the relevant authorities to complete legal procedures ahead of prosecution, it said.

It was ⁠not immediately ⁠clear what charges Abu Rukba could face in Syria or whether Austria had requested his arrest or extradition.

A spokesperson for the Austrian court that convicted him told Reuters at the time that Abu Rukba had not been considered a flight risk before his trial because he had lived in Austria since 2014 and was seeking asylum there with his family.

He was not held in custody during the trial or subjected to other restrictions, and his departure from Austria did not breach Austrian laws or court orders while the appeals process remained underway, the spokesperson said.


Israel Says It Recovered Remains of Soldier Killed in Lebanon in 1982

Destruction is pictured in the village of Arnoun as seen from nearby Marjeyoun in southern Lebanon on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
Destruction is pictured in the village of Arnoun as seen from nearby Marjeyoun in southern Lebanon on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Israel Says It Recovered Remains of Soldier Killed in Lebanon in 1982

Destruction is pictured in the village of Arnoun as seen from nearby Marjeyoun in southern Lebanon on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
Destruction is pictured in the village of Arnoun as seen from nearby Marjeyoun in southern Lebanon on August 11, 2026. (AFP)

The Israeli military said on Tuesday it had repatriated the remains of Sgt First Class Yehuda Katz, a soldier killed in Lebanon 44 years ago, in a joint operation with the Mossad intelligence agency.

Katz was the last Israeli soldier declared missing in the Sultan Yacoub battle against Syrian forces in eastern Lebanon in 1982.

"His return to Israel was made possible through efforts based on accurate intelligence... that lasted more than four decades," the military said in a statement.

It is not clear where his body was found.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu commended the security forces and said that "for many years, I approved numerous clandestine operations to locate the missing soldiers of Sultan Yacoub. I promised their families that we would never stop working to bring them home."

In a separate statement, President Isaac Herzog said that "the circle that remained an open and bleeding wound from the Battle of Sultan Yacoub is finally closed," and that he had kept a photograph of Yehuda Katz hanging in his office as "a daily reminder of our sacred duty to bring our sons home and leave no one behind".

Katz's remains were brought to Israel and identified at an institute for the identification of fallen soldiers under the military rabbinate, the military said.

Three Israeli soldiers had been missing for decades after the Sultan Yacoub battle. In 2019, the military announced the repatriation of the remains of Sgt First Class Zachariah Baumel, while in May 2025 it said it had recovered the body of Sgt First Class Tzvika Feldman "in the heart of Syria".