WHO Praises Saudi Arabia’s ‘Impressive’ Response to COVID-19 Pandemic

The WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office holds a virtual media briefing on the COVID-19 situation in the region.
The WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office holds a virtual media briefing on the COVID-19 situation in the region.
TT

WHO Praises Saudi Arabia’s ‘Impressive’ Response to COVID-19 Pandemic

The WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office holds a virtual media briefing on the COVID-19 situation in the region.
The WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office holds a virtual media briefing on the COVID-19 situation in the region.

The World Health Organization (WHO) welcomed on Thursday Saudi Arabia’s decision to allow only 60,000 residents vaccinated against COVID-19 to perform this year’s Hajj.

WHO representative to Saudi Arabia Dr. Ibrahim El-Ziq said the UN body supports the measures taken by the kingdom for this year’s holy pilgrimage because they are based on “scientific evidence to assess the risks.”

This reflects its good management of the health crisis, he said, describing Saudi Arabia’s response to the pandemic as “impressive” and the best in the region “if not the whole world.”

He also commended its mass vaccinations, noting that 70 percent of the residents have already received the first jab and will take the second shot in July.

His remarks were made Thursday during a virtual media briefing by the WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office (EMRO) on the COVID-19 situation in the Eastern Mediterranean Region and preparations for the Hajj.

WHO Regional Director for the EMRO Dr. Ahmed al-Mandhari, Director of Program Management at the WHO EMRO Rana Hajjeh, Deputy Saudi Minister of Health for Public Health Hani Jokhdar, El-Ziq and Health Emergency Preparedness and IHR Program Area Manager at WHO Dr. Dalia Samhouri took part in the virtual event.

“As of June 22, there have been around 179 million confirmed cases of COVID-19, including more than 3.9 million deaths, reported globally to WHO,” Mandhari said.

The Eastern Mediterranean region has reported around 10.8 million confirmed COVID-19 cases and around 213 500 deaths, he added.

He said the number of cases is declining for the 10th consecutive week, with the number of deaths stabilizing or declining slightly.

However, he said six countries in the region reported an increase in new cases last week, compared to the previous one.

The case increase in Oman and Yemen exceeded 20 percent, and Afghanistan, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates and Yemen have reported a more than 20 percent increase in the number of deaths.

Mandhari attributed these increases to the spread of variants of concern, non-compliance to preventative measures and vaccine inequity, which, along with vaccine hesitancy, is being witnessed globally and across the region.

“As of June 21, 2.4 billion vaccine doses had been administered globally, of which approximately 83 million were administered in the region, covering only 11 doses per 100 people (as of June 20).”

“While a handful of countries have high vaccination rates, eight of our 22 countries have vaccinated less than one percent of their population,” he noted.

Mandhari further stressed that the region still needs over 400 million doses to vaccinate priority groups – who make up 40 percent of the region’s population – by the end of the year.

“If countries immediately share doses with the COVAX Facility and if manufacturers prioritize COVAX orders, we will be in a better position to achieve WHO’s targets to vaccinate at least 10 percent of the population of every country by September, and at least 40 percent by the end of the year,” he explained.

The senior official pointed out that the COVAX Facility is playing an effective role in delivering vaccines to ensure the fastest, most equitable rollout of safe and effective vaccines to all.

“As of June 8, the COVAX Facility has shipped over 90 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines to 131 countries, including to 21 countries in our region.”

More doses will be made available through COVAX this month to countries of the region, he revealed, especially to countries that have so far not received quantities sufficient to their needs.

He warned that variants of concern continue to circulate across the region.

“To date, 17 countries have officially reported detection of the VOC Alpha, 11 countries have reported the VOC Beta, three countries have reported the detection of the VOC Gamma, and seven countries have reported the VOC Delta.”

The WHO continues to observe how vaccine efficacy is affected by these new variants, but so far, vaccines are still proving effective against all new variants, he said.



Saudi Foreign Minister, Egyptian Counterpart Discuss Regional Developments

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah
TT

Saudi Foreign Minister, Egyptian Counterpart Discuss Regional Developments

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah received a phone call on Saturday from Egypt's Minister of Foreign Affairs, Emigration and Egyptian Expatriates Dr. Badr Abdelatty.

They discussed the latest regional developments and agreed to maintain bilateral coordination and consultation on these issues.


Albudaiwi: GCC States Consistently Seek to Enhance Global Security and Stability

Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi. SPA
Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi. SPA
TT

Albudaiwi: GCC States Consistently Seek to Enhance Global Security and Stability

Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi. SPA
Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi. SPA

Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi said that the GCC member states consistently seek to enhance security, stability, development, and prosperity to serve the mutual interests of the region's peoples and the entire world.

This comes in light of the rapid geopolitical shifts as well as growing security and economic challenges facing the globe, according to SPA.

During his participation in a panel session on GCC-European strategic links, held today in the Czech capital, Prague, on the sidelines of the GLOBSEC Global Security Forum 2026, the GCC secretary-general said: "The GCC General Secretariat’s participation in the GLOBSEC Global Security Forum 2026 embodies its keenness to maintain an active presence in regional and international forums. This engagement aims to bolster communication and exchange perspectives with international partners, decision-makers, and experts, thereby supporting efforts to maintain regional and international security while keeping pace with rapid global changes."

He also pointed out that the region has recently witnessed several events that have heavily impacted security and stability, adding that the GCC states have sustained their continuous diplomatic efforts to de-escalate and defuse tensions in the region, promoting paths of dialogue and diplomacy to protect regional security, stability, and the safety of its peoples.

The GCC secretary-general underscored the paramount importance of protecting the security of air and maritime corridors, ensuring freedom of navigation, the safety of supply chains, and the stability of global energy market.

"The stability of the Gulf region remains a fundamental pillar for the stability of the global economy and international maritime security," he reiterated.

Albudaiwi explained that recent developments have proven that the security of Europe and the Middle East has become unprecedentedly interconnected, asserting that any disruption in the Gulf region and its surrounding maritime passages directly affects the European economy, global energy security, supply chains, and international stability as a whole. He stressed that Gulf stability is no longer merely a regional matter, but has become a shared international interest.

Discussing the future of Gulf-European relations, Albudaiwi mentioned that both sides aspire to elevate their ties to broader horizons.

He added that the upcoming GCC-EU Summit will contribute to cementing cooperation across numerous fields and achieving the mutual interests of both parties, emphasizing the significance of reaching tangible results that serve both sides and elevate their ongoing cooperation.


Saudi Arabia Says Will Not Allow Practices That Deviate Hajj from its Objectives

Security commanders are seen at the press conference in Makkah on Friday (Bashir Saleh)
Security commanders are seen at the press conference in Makkah on Friday (Bashir Saleh)
TT

Saudi Arabia Says Will Not Allow Practices That Deviate Hajj from its Objectives

Security commanders are seen at the press conference in Makkah on Friday (Bashir Saleh)
Security commanders are seen at the press conference in Makkah on Friday (Bashir Saleh)

Saudi Arabia said it would not allow the Hajj to be used for any activity that strays from its religious purpose, as more than 1.5 million pilgrims arrived from abroad by Friday afternoon.

He made his statement during a press conference by Hajj security commanders at the Unified Security Operations Center (911) in the Makkah region.

Officials outlined security, traffic, and organizational plans for this year’s holy pilgrimage, along with related instructions and guidelines.

Lt. Gen. Mohammed Al-Bassami, director of Public Security, said the Hajj security system was fully ready to carry out its duties.

“Our goal is for pilgrims to reach their destination, perform their rituals, and return home safely,” he stressed.

Al-Bassami said crowd management plans focused on regulating pilgrim flows and minimizing overlap between routes. Technology, he said, was playing a key role alongside security personnel on the ground.

He said authorities were prepared for various scenarios based on risk assessments, following extensive drills and field exercises to test the readiness of all security agencies.

Lt. Gen. Mohammed Al-Omari, commander of the Special Emergency Forces at the Presidency of State Security, described the security plans as “integrated, proactive and flexible.” He said security forces were deployed in the central area and the holy sites to protect pilgrims.

Maj. Gen. Dr. Hammoud Al-Faraj, director general of Civil Defense, said preparations for the Hajj season were complete.

“We trained all bodies involved in serving pilgrims on self-protection,” he said, adding that male and female volunteers were working alongside Civil Defense personnel across all tasks and operations.

Maj. Gen. Dr. Saleh Al-Murabba, commander of the Passports Forces for Hajj, said the “Makkah Route” initiative accounted for 30% of arriving pilgrims. He said 1,518,153 pilgrims had arrived from outside Saudi Arabia by Friday afternoon.