Egypt Holds Preparatory Meetings ahead of Security Council Session on GERD

The Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam is undergoing construction on the Nile ahead of the second filling in July (Reuters)
The Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam is undergoing construction on the Nile ahead of the second filling in July (Reuters)
TT

Egypt Holds Preparatory Meetings ahead of Security Council Session on GERD

The Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam is undergoing construction on the Nile ahead of the second filling in July (Reuters)
The Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam is undergoing construction on the Nile ahead of the second filling in July (Reuters)

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry began a visit to New York, ahead of the UN Security Council session on the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD), scheduled for Thursday.

Shoukry held a series of intensive meetings with his counterparts, permanent delegates of the member states of the Security Council, and UN officials.

He reaffirmed Egypt’s firm position on the need to reach a binding legal agreement on filling and operating the dam that takes into account the interests of the three countries.

Egypt and Sudan are counting on a decisive UN intervention in the dispute over the dam, which Ethiopia is building on the main tributary of the Nile River and raises fears of its impact on their water shares.

Last month, Egypt and Sudan sent two letters to the Security Council, calling for an emergency session to solve the conflict, which threatens international peace and security.

Ethiopia rejected the Security Council mediation, calling on the Council to encourage Egypt and Sudan to continue negotiating in good faith under the auspice of the African Union.

President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi confirmed that Egypt understands Ethiopia's development needs, but negotiations should not “continue indefinitely.”

Sisi inaugurated the 3rd of July Naval Base in Gargoub, on the northwest coast. He stressed that his country is seeking to reach a binding legal agreement per international norms.

Regarding his country’s threat of military action, the president indicated that Egypt has not threatened anyone throughout history despite its military power, thanking the friendly countries for their efforts to resolve the Dam crisis.

Ethiopia plans to implement the second filling of the dam, regardless of reaching an agreement with Sudan and Egypt.

Shoukry said the second filing constitutes a new violation, speaking during a televised interview, he said that the Egyptian position always moves towards peace and looks forward to a binding legal agreement that ensures the rights of all parties.

He warned that there is real damage in the construction of the dam, but it is damage that can be dealt with and contained, noting that this matter is being monitored by technical teams.

Shoukry explained that Egypt seeks to avoid a conflict in the East African region and the Horn of Africa, stressing that Cairo has the determination and ability to defend its water interests and will spare no effort in protecting its national security.

The Minister stressed that Egypt is currently focusing its efforts on the Security Council session next Thursday, saying that many member states of the Security Council are reluctant in addressing water issues.

Earlier, the French ambassador and current President of the Security Council, Nicolas de Riviere, announced said: “I don't think the council can do much more than that,” regarding the GERD issue.

Shoukry said his country was not surprised about the position of the Security Council, noting that this comment was not made in full coordination with France.

He stressed that it was expected that there would be a stronger position from the council, in the context of pushing the parties to resume negotiations.



Gaza Hospital Says Child among Three Killed in Israeli Strike

Residents inspect the rubble of a building that belongs to the Palestinian family of Abu Saif and was destroyed by an Israeli airstrike in Nuseirat, central Gaza Strip, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)
Residents inspect the rubble of a building that belongs to the Palestinian family of Abu Saif and was destroyed by an Israeli airstrike in Nuseirat, central Gaza Strip, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)
TT

Gaza Hospital Says Child among Three Killed in Israeli Strike

Residents inspect the rubble of a building that belongs to the Palestinian family of Abu Saif and was destroyed by an Israeli airstrike in Nuseirat, central Gaza Strip, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)
Residents inspect the rubble of a building that belongs to the Palestinian family of Abu Saif and was destroyed by an Israeli airstrike in Nuseirat, central Gaza Strip, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)

A pre-dawn Israeli airstrike killed three members of a Palestinian family, including a one-year-old child, in central Gaza on Sunday, a hospital said.

Gaza remains gripped with daily violence despite a formal ceasefire in place since October, with both the Israeli military and Hamas accusing one another of violating the truce, says AFP.

Al-Aqsa Martyrs hospital in Deir el-Balah said it had received the bodies of a couple and their infant after an Israeli strike hit a residential apartment in the Al-Nuseirat camp before dawn.

The hospital said around 10 people were wounded.

There was no immediate comment from the Israeli military about the three deaths, though it said it had struck three Hamas weapons storage facilities in central Gaza over the preceding 24 hours.

A ceasefire has been in place in Gaza since October, but Israel reserves the right to strike targets it deems a threat.

At least 890 Palestinians have been killed since the October 10 ceasefire, according to Gaza's health ministry, which operates under Hamas authority and whose figures are considered reliable by the UN.

The Israeli military says five of its soldiers have also been hit during the same period.

Media restrictions and limited access in Gaza have prevented AFP from independently verifying casualty figures or freely covering the fighting.


Iraq’s Nujaba Movement Warns against ‘US Plot’ to Integrate PMF in New Security Ministry

Slain Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamanei (R) and Nujaba Movement leader Akram al-Kaabi in Tehran in December 2018. (Supreme leader’s website)
Slain Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamanei (R) and Nujaba Movement leader Akram al-Kaabi in Tehran in December 2018. (Supreme leader’s website)
TT

Iraq’s Nujaba Movement Warns against ‘US Plot’ to Integrate PMF in New Security Ministry

Slain Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamanei (R) and Nujaba Movement leader Akram al-Kaabi in Tehran in December 2018. (Supreme leader’s website)
Slain Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamanei (R) and Nujaba Movement leader Akram al-Kaabi in Tehran in December 2018. (Supreme leader’s website)

The Iran-aligned Nujaba Movement in Iraq warned on Saturday against an “American plot” to merge the pro-Iran Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) in state institutions, presenting new Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi with his first test in imposing state monopoly over arms.

It made its warning in wake of a visit to Iraq earlier this week by former US Central Command Commander David Petraeus, who also previously led US forces stationed in Iraq.

The new Iraqi government appears to be a taking a tougher stance against the Iran-aligned armed factions in the country in wake of attacks launched from Iraq against Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

Riyadh and Abu Dhabi have said the attacks were launched from Iraqi territory. Zaidi has slammed the attacks as “criminal acts”.

Spokesperson for the Commander-in-Chief of the Iraqi Armed Forces Sabah al-Numan said the committee probing the attacks will cooperate with Riyadh and Abu Dhabi to uncover the perpetrators.

“The official statements are not up for debate: the security of our brothers is a read line and there can be no replacing the rule of law,” he said in statements carried by the official state news agency INA.

Any party found responsible for the attacks will face judicial and military measures, he vowed, adding that the attacks were a “threat to Iraq’s national security and flagrant violation of its sovereignty”.

On the state monopoly over arms, al-Numan said the decision “is not a mere political slogan, but a security strategy that must be implemented.”

“The success of the government will be measured by how much it establishes itself as the sole party that holds power over weapons,” he stressed.

Prominent armed factions, such as the Kataib Hezbollah and Kataib Sayyid al-Shuhada, have not made any statements over the recent developments.

The Nujaba Movement, however, has openly defied the state’s decision to impose monopoly over weapons.

The party, which is seen as the most hardline, has also rejected attempts to restructure the PMF.

Deputy head of the movement’s executive council Hussein al-Saeedi said: “The resistance’s weapons are not open to compromise.”

“Stripping the factions of their weapons will leave society exposed to the ongoing threats,” he declared from Basra.

He also slammed as an “American plot” the alleged plan to merge the PMF with the federal police and other forces as part of a new “federal security ministry”.

He said such efforts are “futile” and “impossible to execute”, warning that insisting on forging ahead with the plan will have “political and popular implications.”


10,000 Kurds Apply for Syrian Citizenship

Syrian Kurds demonstrate to mark Kurdish Language Day, demanding constitutional recognition of the Kurdish language by the Syrian government, in Qamishli, Syria, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)
Syrian Kurds demonstrate to mark Kurdish Language Day, demanding constitutional recognition of the Kurdish language by the Syrian government, in Qamishli, Syria, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

10,000 Kurds Apply for Syrian Citizenship

Syrian Kurds demonstrate to mark Kurdish Language Day, demanding constitutional recognition of the Kurdish language by the Syrian government, in Qamishli, Syria, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)
Syrian Kurds demonstrate to mark Kurdish Language Day, demanding constitutional recognition of the Kurdish language by the Syrian government, in Qamishli, Syria, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)

Damascus announced on Saturday that it has received over 10,000 applications for Syrian citizenship from Kurds in wake of a recent decree that preserves their rights in the country.

The Interior Ministry said it received applications for citizenship from 2,892 families and 10,516 individuals.

The majority of the applications were filed in the northeastern Hasakeh region, followed by Aleppo, Raqqa, then Deir Ezzor.

Authorities began receiving applications for citizenship from the Kurds on April 6. A May 7 deadline for receiving applications was extended to allow people more time to complete their official procedures ahead of applying.

Receiving the application is the first step towards citizenship. It will be followed by interviews with applicants to verify their documents and eligibility. The final step culminates in receiving citizenship and a document that allows them to enjoy all of their civilian rights.

The process covers all Kurds who do not have an identification document in Syria, as well as expatriates.