Saudi Arabia Lauded: No Virus Cases Reported as Hajj Pilgrims Arrive at Mina

Pilgrims perform the symbolic stoning of the Devil. (SPA)
Pilgrims perform the symbolic stoning of the Devil. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Arabia Lauded: No Virus Cases Reported as Hajj Pilgrims Arrive at Mina

Pilgrims perform the symbolic stoning of the Devil. (SPA)
Pilgrims perform the symbolic stoning of the Devil. (SPA)

The Hajj pilgrims headed to Mina on Tuesday, the first day of Eid al-Adha, after spending the night in Muzdalifah following their ascension of Mount Arafat.

At Mina, they will perform the symbolic stoning of the Devil.

After completing the ritual, they will return to Makkah to perform the Tawwaf al-Ifada and later the “Sa’ay”, or running or walking seven times between the hills of Safa and Marwah, located near the holy Kaaba.

The pilgrims will spend three days at Mina, known as the days of Tashreeq, for the stoning of the Devil.

Just 60,000 people, all citizens or residents of Saudi Arabia, have been selected to take part in this year’s Hajj, with foreign pilgrims again barred due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

The Saudi Health Ministry said Monday that no virus infections have been reported among the pilgrims.

Ministry spokesman Dr. Mohammed Abdelali told a press briefing on the Hajj that so far, signs are reassuring about the safety and health of the pilgrims.

Dr. Bandar Balila, the imam and preacher of the Grand Mosque and a member of the Council of Senior Scholars, who delivered the noon prayer sermon at Arafat, praised the Saudi government’s measures which he said had prevented the Hajj from being “a site for the spread of disease and a focus of the epidemic”.

He also hailed Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, on their keenness on holding the Hajj and ensuring the safety and security of the pilgrims.

Authorities were intent on staging the ritual “in a healthy manner that meets the requirements of disease prevention and social distancing,” he said.

Security forces and service personnel have been deployed heavily throughout the holy sites to ensure that the pilgrims perform their rituals safely and within the necessary health regulations given the pandemic.

Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO) Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus praised the Kingdom on the measures it has taken to ensure the safety of the pilgrims.

“As the faithful gather to perform Hajj this year, we welcome the public health planning and steps Saudi Arabia has taken to ensure the safety of pilgrims and their communities during the COVID19 pandemic,” he said in a tweet.



Saudi Arabia Condemns Cowardly Terrorist Attack on Military Base in Chad

Saudi Arabia Condemns Cowardly Terrorist Attack on Military Base in Chad
TT

Saudi Arabia Condemns Cowardly Terrorist Attack on Military Base in Chad

Saudi Arabia Condemns Cowardly Terrorist Attack on Military Base in Chad

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs expressed the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s condemnation and denunciation of the cowardly terrorist attack on a military base in the Republic of Chad, which resulted in the deaths and injuries of several security personnel.

In a statement, the ministry reiterated the Kingdom’s firm rejection of terrorist and extremist acts that attempt to undermine the security and stability of Chad and its brotherly people.

The statement said: “The Kingdom affirms its solidarity with and support for the government and people of the Republic of Chad in the wake of this painful tragedy, extending its sincere condolences and sympathy to the families of the victims and to the government and people of Chad, wishing the injured a speedy recovery.


Saudi FM Discusses Regional Developments with Portuguese Counterpart

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah
TT

Saudi FM Discusses Regional Developments with Portuguese Counterpart

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah received a phone call from Portugal’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Paulo Rangel.

During the call, they discussed the latest developments in the region and efforts to maintain security and stability.


GCC Secretary-General Meets with UK Foreign Secretary in London

Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi
Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi
TT

GCC Secretary-General Meets with UK Foreign Secretary in London

Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi
Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi

Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi has met with UK’s Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs Yvette Cooper in London.

During Wednesday’s meeting, the two sides reviewed Gulf-British relations. They affirmed that the signing of the joint statement concluding the Free Trade Agreement (FTA) negotiations embodies a new, deeply rooted era for Gulf-British relations.

They also exchanged views on the latest regional developments, stressing the imporance of intensifying international and regional efforts to enhance security and stability.