Italian Veteran Chiellini Excited to Join Young LAFC Roster

29 June 2022, US, Los Angeles: Los Angeles FC's new defender Giorgio Chiellini poses for a picture during an introductory press conference before the MLS soccer game against FC Dallas in Los Angeles. (dpa)
29 June 2022, US, Los Angeles: Los Angeles FC's new defender Giorgio Chiellini poses for a picture during an introductory press conference before the MLS soccer game against FC Dallas in Los Angeles. (dpa)
TT
20

Italian Veteran Chiellini Excited to Join Young LAFC Roster

29 June 2022, US, Los Angeles: Los Angeles FC's new defender Giorgio Chiellini poses for a picture during an introductory press conference before the MLS soccer game against FC Dallas in Los Angeles. (dpa)
29 June 2022, US, Los Angeles: Los Angeles FC's new defender Giorgio Chiellini poses for a picture during an introductory press conference before the MLS soccer game against FC Dallas in Los Angeles. (dpa)

Georgio Chiellini is hoping Los Angeles FC's young roster can help him at least partially rediscover the fountain of youth.

In return, the veteran Italian defender looks to help the club capture its first Major League Soccer championship.

"I would say that LAFC is the perfect team for me because the team is full of young players. I think they can help me," the 37-year old Chiellini said Wednesday during his introductory press conference at Banc of California Stadium.

"Surely it’s impossible for me to have the same physical characteristic like 10 years ago, but I can bring also something to them, and we have to create a good mix with experience and enthusiasm with younger players in order to become a winner."

LAFC went into Wednesday night's match against FC Dallas with the league's best record at 10-3-3. LAFC won the Supporters Shield as the league’s top team in the regular season in 2019, but has not had postseason success. It missed the playoffs for the first time last year.

"The team is fantastic," Chiellini said. "As I said before, I don’t have to change something or to bring something special. Just to add what I am and hope to continue in this way because we are at the top and we have to finish at the top, but it’s a long trip."

Chiellini had been at Juventus since 2005, capturing nine Serie A and five Coppa Italia titles. He also played his final match June 1 for Italy's national team.

Chiellini said talks about a potential move stateside began last year, but didn't accelerate until March after Italy failed to quality for this year's World Cup.

For a league where most of the big signings are geared toward young, attacking forwards, the addition of Chiellini goes against the grain, but he also said something that is commonly said in American football.

"I read in the US that the forwards, that the attackers sell tickets, that the defense win the league. Then this is my goal and my target," he said.

Chiellini will give LAFC a veteran presence at center back. Eddie Segura has not played this season due to a knee injury and the position has been split between Jesus Murillo and Mamadou Fall.

Chiellini will be eligible to make his LAFC debut after the secondary transfer window opens July 7. The club’s first match after the window opens is against archrival LA Galaxy on July 8.

Gareth Bale could also make his debut in the rivalry game dubbed El Trafico by the fans of both clubs, but his immigration paperwork is still being processed.

The additions of Chiellini and Bale, along with re-signing 2019 MLS MVP Carlos Vela, should keep LAFC among the league's top clubs the rest of the season. But Vela said Tuesday plenty of work remains to be done.

"It doesn’t matter how many years you’ve played in some place," Vela said.

"You have to put in the effort, and you have to do what is best for the team. Now we have a lot of talent coming in, so we just have to figure out what’s best for the team, put it in and go for it. It’s the only way we’re going to win a trophy."



Messi and Miami Stunned By LAFC In CONCACAF Champions Cup

No way through: Lionel Messi endured a frustrating night in Inter Miami's 1-0 defeat to LAFC in the CONCACAF Champions Cup (Frederic J. Brown) - AFP
No way through: Lionel Messi endured a frustrating night in Inter Miami's 1-0 defeat to LAFC in the CONCACAF Champions Cup (Frederic J. Brown) - AFP
TT
20

Messi and Miami Stunned By LAFC In CONCACAF Champions Cup

No way through: Lionel Messi endured a frustrating night in Inter Miami's 1-0 defeat to LAFC in the CONCACAF Champions Cup (Frederic J. Brown) - AFP
No way through: Lionel Messi endured a frustrating night in Inter Miami's 1-0 defeat to LAFC in the CONCACAF Champions Cup (Frederic J. Brown) - AFP

Los Angeles FC sent Lionel Messi and Inter Miami spinning to their first defeat of the season on Wednesday, scoring an upset 1-0 victory in their CONCACAF Champions Cup quarter-final first-leg clash.

A 57th-minute strike from Los Angeles-born El Salvador international Nathan Ordaz handed LAFC a precious advantage heading into next Wednesday's return leg in Florida.

"I think we saw a complete performance," said LAFC coach Steve Cherundolo, whose only complaint was that his team had not managed to win by a more convincing margin.

"If we're honest with ourselves we need to be a little sharper in front of goal. If we get the same types of chances next week in Miami we need to be a little more ruthless."

Miami coach Javier Mascherano had few complaints about his team's defeat, according to AFP.

"Obviously we didn't have the best night tonight but it's only the first leg," Mascherano said.

"We have another game next week. We can do what we need to reach the semi-finals."

Unbeaten in nine games across all competitions since the start of the season, Messi and Miami arrived in Los Angeles as the form team of Major League Soccer.

But after a cagey first half that saw neither side manage to get on top, Los Angeles raised their intensity and began causing problems for the visitors.

LAFC fullback Ryan Hollingshead squandered a golden chance in the 54th minute, blasting well wide after bursting into the penalty area on the overlap.

They made the breakthrough three minutes later with the 21-year-old homegrown striker Ordaz spinning away from former Barcelona and Spain international Sergio Busquets and thumping a low shot into the bottom corner past Miami keeper Oscar Ustari.

Argentine superstar Messi, making his first start since returning as a substitute last weekend following a two-week injury layoff, struggled to gain a foothold in the contest.

Instead it was Los Angeles who looked likeliest to score in front of a raucous home crowd of 22,207 fans at the BMO Stadium that included NBA superstar Stephen Curry, Miami team owner David Beckham and Argentina national team manager Lionel Scaloni.

US international Aaron Long headed just over from a free-kick in the 63rd minute, and moments later only a desperate goal-line block from Miami defender Maxi Falcon denied LAFC midfielder Timothy Tillman.

Falcon had one of Miami's few chances in the second half, glancing a header towards the bottom corner that LAFC's former France international goalkeeper Hugo Lloris gathered comfortably.

In a sign of mounting Miami frustration, Busquets was booked for a wild challenge on Cengiz Under.

A disappointing night for Messi was summed up by his failure to make the most of a free-kick in a promising position deep into stoppage time, with the Argentine sending his shot whistling well over the bar as LAFC held on for a deserved victory.